First impressions after switching to Redline 10/30

So, old AX-15's that originally used 75-90 as per specifications are now to have 10-30 in them?

Thats correct. Most gear lube is GL-5 rated now and the formulation attacks the brass synchros in the AX-15.

So, Redline MT-90 is friendly to the brass? Much rather be running a 90w oil...

So, old AX-15's that originally used 75-90 as per specifications are now to have 10-30 in them?

It should be noted that the AX15 has not been used since 1999, IIRC. So 'new' is a relative term.

Chrysler also decided ATF+4 is what the AW4 needs.

I personally run what worked perfect for 20 years. Not what some ya-hoo recommended a few years back.

Been using synthetic in everything since forever, in the engine, AW4, diffs.....and am partial to the brand that whowey likes. Change the engine oil once/year, and don't use a drop in between changes. I've had the engine open twice in its lifetime, both within the last couple years. Clean as a whistle.....same with the tranny and differentials. Of course, I don't off-road, and that might make me change some things.......

Thats correct. Most gear lube is GL-5 rated now and the formulation attacks the brass synchros in the AX-15.

So, Redline MT-90 is friendly to the brass? Much rather be running a 90w oil...

Yes.. Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG... both are "yellow metal friendly" (to steal your term).

Pete... we need multi-quote for threads just like this one.....

Yes, Chrysler did switch the recommendation of a 75w90 GL-4 lube in the AX-15 to 10w30 motor oil. This was done after all the AX-15's were out of warranty. This is a simple case of cost cutting. Why carry a one-use fluid in your service centers, when there are lots of uses for 10w30. Plus.. all of the affected transmissions were out of warranty so no lubrication related failures to cover.

The AW-4 is much the same idea... In a TSB dated Oct. 07 the Aw-4 is specifically exempted from the ATF+4 recommendation. In a TSB dated Apr. 08, all transmissions are recommended to use ATF+4. The '01 XJ's would have left dealer lots with a 7 year/70k mile warranty, which would have been expiring right in that time period. The dealerships can stop carrying Dex III, Chrysler can stop buying a fluid that is liscensed from GM. And there are no lubricant related failures being covered under warranty.

Like I asked earlier in this thread. Why play games, when acceptable replacement fluids are available??

Remember Aisin-Warner didn't change the fluid recommendations for either of these transmissions... They built them, why would Chrysler recommend something different???

Remember Aisin-Warner didn't change the fluid recommendations for either of these transmissions... They built them, why would Chrysler recommend something different???

Good point.

I have an 87 w/4 speed. What fluid is the best out there that will not harm the syncro's? When I rebuilt my 2.5 almost 3 years ago I replaced the seals on the trans and topped it off with a gear oil that has the GL-5 rating not knowing what I have now learned. I think I need to drain and refill.

and so what about all those ads touting Mobil-1 full syn as the oil that came to you in your brand new high end car... :hmm: My CRD Libby has had Mobil-1 since day one as far as I know.:dunno:

my car came with mobil 1 0w40 in it since new. my last oil change was after 5k miles, i drained out just under 3 quarts of oil, its supposed to have 5 in it. :eek: I'd say even with 25k miles on the car, its burning some oil. :shake:

The AX-4 and AX-5 are not covered by the same concerns. They take plain ol' GL-5. :thumbsup:

Ask Correy for the pictures of his AX-5 rebuild... then we can talk about whether or not there are yellow metal parts in one...

The AX-4 and AX-5 are not covered by the same concerns. They take plain ol' GL-5. :thumbsup:

Ask Correy for the pictures of his AX-5 rebuild... then we can talk about whether or not there are yellow metal parts in one...

Me thinks I shall search around for some non-GL5 lube and get-er changed in my AX-4 yust to be on der safen side, ya!

• 3 months later...

i doubt ax-15 use atf since i remember that atf it self have special lubrication that actually give slippage AND grippy aka automatic's planetary gears brake clutch band. they use atf as friction someway. maunal gear don't need atf just fulll lubrication. correct me if I'm wrong??

myself love AMS Oil and royal purple. yea they r $$ but hey they can have more mileage to go before need oil change which will save ur money compare change every 3000-5000 mileage as ams oil can go to about 7500 but remember its depend how good oil filter can last long.

i heard someone told about Oem oil filter normal tend can last long more than 5000-15000 compare to STP, Wix, mobil 1, :ack: fram :ack: , napa(wix), etc.

before the way i know my subaru oem oilfilter can last long to 15000 which i tried and its work as charm! i used AMS oil 5w-30 XT fulll syn on my subaru.

currently oil on my jeep is valvoline full syn which i like! cheap(28 dollars for 5 quart FULL SYN!) and good quality