Leaf Spring Replacement

Are there any leaves out there that match the MJ for length and center-pin placement? Mine are starting to sag and I'm looking at other options.

My main leaf on each side is slowly sagging out, what other main matches ours? Possibly an entire pack?

Actually, there is an option available. 1976-91 Full-Size Jeep rear springs have the same center bolt spacing as our trucks, i.e., 26" on the front and 31" on the rear. They also use a 3/8" center bolt. The front and rear bushings also use a 9/16" bolt, so they would be a direct replacement. The large (anchor) bushing is slightly narrower at 2-15/16" vs. our anchor bushing width of 3-1/8", but they could be used with some washers.

I'm just throwing this out as a viable alternative, especially where cost is a factor. Keep in mind that a full-size Jeep is heavier than our trucks, so you may not want to use the entire spring pack, unless you also wish to add capacity to your truck. The springs are the same length on all 1976-91 full-size Jeeps from the J-10 and J-20 trucks to the Wagoneers and Cherokees. To keep your truck level (at least side-to-side), I would recommend changing the main leaves on both rear springs. Also, the Wagoneer and Cherokee rear springs were famous for sagging, hence the term "Wag-sag" which is well know in full-size Jeep circles.

-Tom

If I may suggest.........if your on a tight budget, and seen how MJ springs are getting very hard to find (although I have a few sets......) take the truck to a spring shop, like a big Truck spring shop, not some dude wrencher on the corner, and have them check them out, and hear what they have to say.

I had to have my E350 springs redone a couple months ago, and they left the main spring in place, and not having to deal with the bushings, and they added 2 new spring leafs, sandwiched in the pack, re-using the entire pack, and installed new center pins, and new U-bolts for $100 less than I could have bought 2 new leaf spring packs for the beast.

Just adding the new leafs, re-arched, and re-support the main leaf, picked the back end up 3 inches, and added to my hauling weight ;)

The pack(s) I have are on the 3rd re-arch. They are in dire need of replacement.

Was hoping to do a bastardpack with S-10/Exploder springs and a new MJ main.

There's a good spring shop a bit north of town, guy at work said two new mains for his '81 F-350 was $140 with new shackles, bushings and bolts. Should be my best bet.

Thanks for the info too!

I'm a big fan of adding in a main MJ leaf (with the eyes removed) as an AAL. :D

hellcreek sells an AAL that does just this. :thumbsup:

if thats the case, wouldnt adding an XJ main with the eyes removed work too?

It might. There are a ton of variables in leafs and any random leaf stuck in any random leafpack may have different results. XJ leafpacks are flatter than ours and I've seen a lot of sagging ones, so I'd be picky about what I bought. It'll certainly be better than nothing. :thumbsup:

x2 on a specialty spring shop, St. Louis Spring is where we send our customers. My buddy is gonna send them his stock springs for his '70 IH 1200 pickup to be re-arched because no one makes a replacement set off the shelf. They'll do basically anything you want as long as its safe and you know they've got the experience to do it right.

I'm a big fan of adding in a main MJ leaf (with the eyes removed) as an AAL. :D

hellcreek sells an AAL that does just this. :thumbsup:

if thats the case, wouldnt adding an XJ main with the eyes removed work too?

I hope to have a report on that later this summer. The XJ springs don't have as much arch, so it's my hope that adding an XJ main leaf will result in better load carrying capacity and a stronger spring without adding much lift or being excessively stiff/harsh.