new rear tube bumper

well i've been on this site hundreds of times for ideas and solutions for issues i've had. some one rear ended me about a year ago and totally ruined my otherwise flawless original bumper. i've been wanting to build a rear bumper since then but havent had the time or $$$ to do it. well i finally got to it recently and i wanted to do a write up so i can get some constructive critisizm and any idea's about improvement. here it is off the truck

I used 2" square tube and some 1/4" plate on the ends and some 1/16" sheet from the liscence plate bracket

here it is on the truck

here's the equipment i used

here' some pics of the welds. i don't like to grind on my welds so i tig welded on the front and outside welds and migged the inside welds. i want to put a hitch right under the lisence plate bracket. what do i need to do to reinforce it?

i'm going to make some end caps for it eventually too

let me know what ya'll think

i started the end caps with card board and just cut it and bent it where i wanted it. i sort of had an idea in my head

and just kinda went with it.

i will put lights on the license bracket, just haven't found the right ones yet.

i was debating on whether or not to put a plate behind it to clean it up, havent decided yet.

i am going to put some bright back up lights next to the license plate bracket and i was thinking of tow hooks or

something on it too. i think that might cover up the back side of the bumper a little, it's still all up in the air. the bumper isn't even fully welded on yet, just tack welded. hope it doesn't fall off.

FYI: the 4x4 3/8" angle i used to have as a bumper weighs much more than this new one.

Great work! jamminz.gif And very nice welds! (this is coming from someone who inspects welds for a living).

I would weld some vertical square stock the same size as the horizontal stock butted to the outboard sides of the bumper brackets. Tie it all in with thick plate down the outside of the "frame" rails. That ought to give you plenty strength for towing.

For cosmetics and a bit more stiffening, I would add vertical square stock between the license plate and bumper brackets.

It'll be pretty low if you mount the 2" receiver below the license plate. It would give me an excuse to lift the truck or mount it were the license plate is and rig up a pivot for the license plate (like old cars had hidden gas fills behind the plate). That would be sweet. :clapping:

Great work! jamminz.gif And very nice welds! (this is coming from someone who inspects welds for a living).

I would weld some vertical square stock the same size as the horizontal stock butted to the outboard sides of the bumper brackets. Tie it all in with thick plate down the outside of the "frame" rails. That ought to give you plenty strength for towing.

For cosmetics and a bit more stiffening, I would add vertical square stock between the license plate and bumper brackets.

It'll be pretty low if you mount the 2" receiver below the license plate. It would give me an excuse to lift the truck or mount it were the license plate is and rig up a pivot for the license plate (like old cars had hidden gas fills behind the plate). That would be sweet. :clapping:

:agree:

Hitch plug behind the license plate....Sweet.

here it is tack welded on there

the cuts actually fit in there nice. i didn't even really try to follow the line, i just lucked out!!

:drool: when i order mine, do i get a discount on a matching front one? :brows: awsome job, really nice.

sorry haven't updated in a while. i just experienced the dreaded death wobble about a week ago so right now that is my main objective since this is my dd. update on the bumper will come as soon as my truck is up and running again.