motor question???

I got a 1988 MJ and i am still hutning for a motor. i was lookin around on the net and saw that there is a GM v6 that bolts in the truck?? what motor is this and has anyone done this mod before? i would like to find a 4.0 but i am not having any luck with junkyards. i can't find a single one? any advice?

The GM 3.4 V6 is a good replacement for the 2.8, which was only used in 86 in Comanches, and 84-86 in Cherokees.

Being an 88, you can only have a 2.5L Inline 4, or a 4.0. For all the work of going to a V6 from a 2.5, it's better to just go with a 4.0, and get a better motor, and keep it Jeep.

Swapping in a 4.0 will not just be a bolt in deal, youll need the trans, wiring harnesses for the engine and dashboard, front driveshaft, shift linkages, have a rear driveshaft made, and other stuff. Youll basically need a whole donor Cherokee to swap everything over from, then still have to make a rear drivehsaft. A GM 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 will bolt to the bellhousing in your truck, but you would need a harness from a 2.8 and all accessories and motor mounts to make it bolt up and work.... just find another 2.5 from any year Comanche, Cherokee or Wrangler, and swap it in using all your old accesories, intake and exhaust, and flywheel. That would be the easiest swap for you if you really need to get this going.

I got a 1988 MJ and i am still hutning for a motor. i was lookin around on the net and saw that there is a GM v6 that bolts in the truck?? what motor is this and has anyone done this mod before? i would like to find a 4.0 but i am not having any luck with junkyards. i can't find a single one? any advice?

What engine did the truck have originally?

Where are you located? 4.0L engines are evvvvvvverywhere!

For now. I bet you anything over the next 5 years, they're going to be damn near impossible to find.

They're "clunkers", remember?

I guess I should hold onto the two spares I have then ;)

Swapping in a 4.0 will not just be a bolt in deal, youll need the trans, wiring harnesses for the engine and dashboard, front driveshaft, shift linkages, have a rear driveshaft made, and other stuff. Youll basically need a whole donor Cherokee to swap everything over from, then still have to make a rear drivehsaft. A GM 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 will bolt to the bellhousing in your truck, but you would need a harness from a 2.8 and all accessories and motor mounts to make it bolt up and work.... just find another 2.5 from any year Comanche, Cherokee or Wrangler, and swap it in using all your old accesories, intake and exhaust, and flywheel. That would be the easiest swap for you if you really need to get this going.

Ummm ... he wrote that he has an '88 MJ. It could not have a V6 (unless it was swapped in by an especially masochistic previous owner). An '88 will have (sorry, "should" have) either a 2.5L I-4 or a 4.0L I-6.

Ummm ... he wrote that he has an '88 MJ. It could not have a V6 (unless it was swapped in by an especially masochistic previous owner). An '88 will have (sorry, "should" have) either a 2.5L I-4 or a 4.0L I-6.

He is partly correct though, the 2.5L uses the same bolt pattern as a GM 60* V6, so a 3.4 would bolt up to an AX-5 previously behind a 2.5L.

the truck had a 4.0 in it when i bought it. but it had a hole in the side of the block big enough to fit my fist in. i have found a few 4.0s for sale locally but all are h.o.'s and I'm still not certain on how to properly swap my renix engine to an H.O. engine. I'm new to the jeep world haha.

Eagle, the 60 Degree v-6's have the same bolt pattern as the 2.5L. I think thats what he was getting at. I don't think he was recommending it, but saying these are what *would* bolt up, but you still need the harness and mounts from an '86 to make it work...

Rob L.

Eagle, the 60 Degree v-6's have the same bolt pattern as the 2.5L. I think thats what he was getting at. I don't think he was recommending it, but saying these are what *would* bolt up, but you still need the harness and mounts from an '86 to make it work...

I am well aware that the 2.5L I-4 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the GM V-6. But "bolt up" to the bell housing is not the same as "bolt into" the vehicle. Putting a 2.8L (or 3.4L) V-6 into an MJ that had a 2.5L I-4 would require changing the entire underhood wiring harness, exhaust system, motor mounts, fuel delivery system, ...

That's not my idea of "bolt in." Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done.

I am well aware that the 2.5L I-4 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the GM V-6. But "bolt up" to the bell housing is not the same as "bolt into" the vehicle. Putting a 2.8L (or 3.4L) V-6 into an MJ that had a 2.5L I-4 would require changing the entire underhood wiring harness, exhaust system, motor mounts, fuel delivery system, ...

That's not my idea of "bolt in." Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done.

why do people bother to disagree with eagle? it never works :shake:

and....

:Canadaflag: it does not mater if it is a GM, chevy or chrysler motor they are all made in Canada :brows:

Alot of GM engines have HECHO in MEXICO cast all over them

THats hilarious :banana: