New Guy Here

jeepdude89

Hello, I just signed up here. My name is Seth & I have a addiction to Jeeps. I can`t seem to get rid of it not that I want to though. Anyway, I don`t have a Comanche yet, but hopefully that will change here soon. I do have a 01 Cherokee Limited, & I did have a 85 Cherokee. When I was 16 my parents asked me what I wanted for my 1st car & I told them a Jeep. They wanted to buy me a s10, but I said no & bought a 85 Cherokee for $150 that didn`t even run but I fell in love with it & I knew that I had made a good choice. As my Jeep addiction grew, I found out that Jeep made a little pickup called the Comanche & I have wanted one ever since but never looked or got one until now. I am finding that I need a pickup to haul things because my XJ won`t carry or haul everything. So, the hunt is on to find me a Comanche. So, once I find one I am sure that I will have plenty of questions. Thank You all for letting me be a part of this board. Look forward to talking & meeting everybody.

Seth, Just addicted to Jeeps in SW MO.

If you want to meet everyone you better get busy. Last I checked there were 3235 members on this site jamminz.gif . I love my jeeps especially my truck, but it may need to hide in about 7-8 months as we are now expecting twins and this is the only jeep we own with 2 doors :ack: . Also by your name you are either 21 or looking for an 89 MJ, either way congratulations and welcome to the club :cheers: .

Yep, I am 21 & looking for a 87 to 92 Comanche. I would really like to find either a 91 or 92 MJ, but a 89 MJ would work too. Just as long as it is a 4.0, 5 Speed, & 4X4. I think I will stay away from the 86 models because of the engine options & I guess it is a little tough to fit a 4.0 into a 86.

Don't pass up on a 2wd as it is on the newb (with basic mechanical knowledge) side of easy to swap into a 4wd. I would find what you can in your price range, and go from there. By the end you will have removed, installed, tightend, or replaced just about every bolt anyway. Plus what you learned along the way never hurts. :smart:

Most parts are interchangeable. Engines vary from the earlier renix to the newer stuff, and the doors are different from 97 or 98 and up. FYI the doors are a great upgrade, but the door latch and bolt are slightly different. Also to get your mind rolling, the 98 and newer front ends give the old MJ a newer look. Like I said before, get yourself a good solid MJ and build it your liking. There was just a good post on here tonight about prices for the 6cyl 4.0, and being able to pick one up for under $500 and swapping into a 2.5 or 2.8(v6) comanche. My MJ has a chevy 350, but that is a whole new can of worms.

If your circumstances allow it don't get just the parts separate. Get a complete XJ and remove what you want. You can buy a rolled XJ for what you would pay for just the motor and have everything ya need without numerous trips to the JY. And get half your money back selling whats left. The last wrecked XJ I got had 32K on a rebuilt motor and AX15 Tran and I paid $300 for it.

If your circumstances allow it don't get just the parts separate. Get a complete XJ and remove what you want. You can buy a rolled XJ for what you would pay for just the motor and have everything ya need without numerous trips to the JY. And get half your money back selling whats left. The last wrecked XJ I got had 32K on a rebuilt motor and AX15 Tran and I paid $300 for it.

I agree. If you can find a relatively rust free 2WD, compared to a rusty 4WD don't hesitate to get the 2WD. And the donor cherokee is the way to go instead of finding parts. You may just need to get the driveshaft cut down. Everything else should be a direct swap, as long as they both have the same engine. You will just have to make sure the gearing in the cherokee is the same as the MJ since the MJ is spring under and the XJ is spring over

Also, add your location to your user info. Youd be surprised how many people around here are willing to help you out if they are local

haha don't knock on us 86' ers!

Okay I won`t, I just like to have some power when I step on the skinny pedal. That`s why I want to find a 4.0. The 2.5 & 2.8 don`t have that much power, to me anyway. My 85 cherokee had a 2.5 & I always had my foot on the floor in order to make it go anywhere. I will also look for 2wd comanches also since you can convert them to a 4wd. I just missed getting a 1992 Comanche 4.0 AX15 4X4 for $1500 here locally. :wall: All it needed was a fuel pump. :wall:

I just like to have some power when I step on the skinny pedal. That`s why I want to find a 4.0. The 2.5 & 2.8 don`t have that much power, to me anyway.

My 88 with a 2.5/AX5 is only a 2wd, and let me tell you, it PULLS! It don't matter if it's from a dead stop, or cruising on the interstate, all I have to do is half to three quarter throttle, and she's gone. I had taken her down to a meet and greet a while ago (when I lowered her), and on our way back, Geonovast, Jeepco, and I were playing pass the leader on the interstate. I kept her in 5th gear the whole time, and never had any troubles passing them up. They could have swore I dropped a gear to get by them as fast as I did, but I never once dropped a gear once I got to speed. This is on a 160k mile motor that has seen a LOT of abuse from me in the past, so I wouldn't discredit the 2.5s very much.

I have to highly reccomend the 4.0 and a d44 rear end. I can go wayyy faster than my spedometer allows (especially because it reads 10 mph slower than I'm actualy going) and i can go anywhere with jsut a 2wd. i have never been stuck and mine is a farm truck/dd. If it thinks about getting stuck it just positracs and keeps goiong. I was talking to my dad about putting a 4wd axle in my mj and he said if that thing had 4wd it would climb a light pole :yes: . so even if you do want a 4wd you may not actually need it haha. Welcome to the club btw I'm Kenny. any questions (especialy dumb ones seeing as how those are the ones i ask more than often) feel free to ask :cheers:

I just like to have some power when I step on the skinny pedal. That`s why I want to find a 4.0. The 2.5 & 2.8 don`t have that much power, to me anyway.

My 88 with a 2.5/AX5 is only a 2wd, and let me tell you, it PULLS! It don't matter if it's from a dead stop, or cruising on the interstate, all I have to do is half to three quarter throttle, and she's gone. I had taken her down to a meet and greet a while ago (when I lowered her), and on our way back, Geonovast, Jeepco, and I were playing pass the leader on the interstate. I kept her in 5th gear the whole time, and never had any troubles passing them up. They could have swore I dropped a gear to get by them as fast as I did, but I never once dropped a gear once I got to speed. This is on a 160k mile motor that has seen a LOT of abuse from me in the past, so I wouldn't discredit the 2.5s very much.

Okay, Maybe the 2.5 that my 85 xj had was just a bad apple. Which it had seen better days though. It probely didn`t help it either that it is carbed & the compression sucked. Thats probely why it didn`t have any power. It sounds like the injected 2.5`s are a lot better.