Installing sound system on Comanche?

My MJ cam with no stereo or speakers, and I am thinking about putting a good sound system on it, does any body have pics or recomendations about their sound system? I am thinking about a component speaker system and a 10" subwoofer, also I have seen that in the back of the cab it has a hole for some 4X6 spekaers, but I don't know if on the back they would sound right.

Hope to hear your opinion and see some picks of your systems.

Thanks al always. :cheers:

I installed a pair of 6.5" coaxial Kenwood Excelons in the front doors with good results. Right now they are just running off the deck (also KW Excelon) but they will get an amp when I get time, heck, I may do this today now that I'm motivated :cheers:

I professionally installed car audio for about 10 years (that's why I now need motivation to work on mine) and must say, for the money, these are some of the best sounding speakers I've used in an MJ or XJ. They actually provide good bass response with the carbon fiber cone, and have a silk dome tweeter for smooth highs. Of course the components sound even better since you can get better imaging!

I plan to add a small sub at some point, and plan to install 1 or 2, 8" Excelon subs. These are shallow mount and don't take much room. They also sound impressive considering the size, great for our limited space!

The stock door size is 5.25", but a 6.5" easily fits if front mounted! It is very close to the window crank, but doesn't interfere. (excuse the lovely electrical tape steering wheel the prior owner left for me... got a bit sticky on those warm days :doh: needless to say that was swapped asap! )

I don't have any pics and my setup is probably a little overboard. I have an aiwa head unit with a set of rockford fosgate 6.5" (?) in the door. And then a set of 12" Kenwood subs in custom boxes behind the seat pushed by a 1200 watt Kenwood amp. I am happy with the sound quality in the truck and it really isn't that noticeable outside due to the seat baffling alot of the sound. If you want to keep the room behind the seat I wouldn't recommend my setup.

It really depends on your taste. Do you want a system that has quality sound or one that thumps and rattles your teeth loose. I personnally recommend Infinity speakers in the proper size that replace the factory speakers. I'm a big fan of the, "don't advertise what you have" idea and also "don't hack up your interior to make something fit". If you put something that someone else passing by can see and want, you'll find a busted window and empty hole when you get to your truck. I kept the factory am/fm and put Infinity Kappa's and Reference series in the stock locations. I believe in quality sound that is clean and crisp. Afterall, the cab space is not that big so you don't need alot. I have a 12 disc changer and aux input that will tuck away in the center console and might put a slim sub in there as well but not planning on it at this time. Prepare your cab for sound by using deadning material were you can. Here's a couple of pics to give you some ideas and a link in the DIY section.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17006

:cheers:

I've had a multitude of different configurations in my MJs and the best was a 4way amp feeding 5 1/4" components in the doors and a high quality 10" sub behind the seat. I used to have 4x6s and then 6x9s in the rear corners, but once I added a subwoofer to the mix, the rear corner speakers were essentially worthless. higher frequencies were always muffled by the seat, low frequencies sucked and were drowned out by the sub. So I eliminated the sub's amp and the rear corner speakers and the sound was incredible with minimal space-eating parts. :D

here you can see the tweeter location:

as already evidenced by the responses so far, you can go simple or elaborate, budget or high dollar. i'd agree w/pete that if you plan on running a sub in the back, the stock 4x6 locations in the rear would just get drowned out. w/out a sub, a nice plate speaker like mfpm's infinity's is basically a component set up, you just don't have the flexibility of mounting the tweeter where you want. i've said many times on here that a 6.5" (what i have) or 8" bazooka tube will provide an amazing amount of low end in an MJ cab, and takes up very little space. my pioneer high power deck allows you to bridge the rear channels to a 2ohm load, single channel at @45w. doesn't sound like much, but 1) in an MJ cab it doesn't take much, and 2) that's at a very clean 2ohms and going to a dual voice coil sub

personally, i think the ideal system would be a pair of 5 1/4 components with the woofer in the doors, tweeters mounted on the windshiled pillar, 6x9 components with woofer in the rear panel locations, tweeters mounted in the rear corners up by the ceiling, and either a 8" bazooka or a 10" JL Audio box, couple hundred watts for the components, single channel amp w/3-500 watts for the sub.

Thank you all I got some good ideas of what i want now, I will be installing 6.5" component speakers on the front and a 10" dual voice coil on sealed box on the back i think that will be enough.

Thanks image_209027.gif

• 5 months later...

Sounds good. I personally put new Pioneers (On sale for $15/pair!) in the doors, and two 6" bazooka tubes hooked up to a 500W 2ch amp. One tube behind each seat on the floor, cones facing the walls. Only takes up about 10" of height, plenty of room for other stuff on top of the subs. Sound WAAAAAY better than the 22 year old speakers that rattled, and the 6" subs have great response, with enough power for phatty bass lines :chillin: Just my $0.02, another idea for everybody. Paid under $100 for everything, and took a few hours to install.

• 1 year later...

After having my 6.5" components on the doors and a 10" bazooka on the back of my mj I decided I wanted a little more so I got a 12" sealed box sony shallow subwoofer.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio ... -LB12S.jpg

And a small class d amplifier.

http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyStyl ... 7/XM1S.png

And I'm very pleased on how it sounds very simple and sound setup and very clean quali :clapping: ty sound I recommend it