can some one explain

someone told me on here if you leave it on youll get better gas mileage too! :clapping:

i hear people say that to, simply not true in my personal usage. i get way better gas mileage in economy mode. rpm's kill gas mileage, bottom line.

someone told me on here if you leave it on youll get better gas mileage too! :clapping:

i hear people say that to, simply not true in my personal usage. i get way better gas mileage in economy mode. rpm's kill gas mileage, bottom line.

Not necessarily. Fast acceleration kills mpgs. 80 mph kills mpgs. rpms are generally associated with these 2 circumstances, but are not the bad guys unto themselves.

I was told that for best fuel economy keep the engine on it's torque peak and max vacuam. So I installed a tach and a vacuam gauge. They were right. I haven't burnt a drop of gas since I hit that garbage truck I didn't see 'cause I was busy watching my gauges.

:doh:

It also makes the tranny shift slower in comfort mode so you don't get that "annoying" shift shock.

My 88 XJ was getting 26 in power mode averaging 70-75 on the interstate before I switched out the motor. Then it went to 18.5, found out the old motor was fine, and I was :headpop:

Not necessarily. Fast acceleration kills mpgs. 80 mph kills mpgs. rpms are generally associated with these 2 circumstances, but are not the bad guys unto themselves.

ok, but if 80 mph was only at 2,000 rpm it would not be bad. and when in economy mode, the same 3/4 throttle acceleration will shift sooner at less rpm. :typing:

ok, but if 80 mph was only at 2,000 rpm it would not be bad. and when in economy mode, the same 3/4 throttle acceleration will shift sooner at less rpm. :typing:

i guess if you use the power in the city and secondary roads, and the economy on the highway, youll be ok!

This would explain my lackluster MPG ratings in my '01XJ. I need to slow down, but I always seem to be running late...

But if you need to really accelerate to get into traffic, using econo-mode will use more fuel because the engine is struggling to keep up. mpgs become more about the driver and the situation at hand, and less about the Jeep. There's no reason power mode can't get the same mpgs as grandma-mode. grandma-mode just forces you to drive like, well, like grandma.

i guess if you use the power in the city and secondary roads, and the economy on the highway, youll be ok!

that button has no effect while cruising on the hiway.