Removing factory Pin-striping/trim stickers

This was performed on a Jeep Cherokee Country, but applies to almost any vehicle.

This is what I started with:

I don't know about you, but I couldn't stand the gold trim package. So this is how I removed it all.

Step 1: Buy one of these:

This is going to make things pretty easy. They can be had at most auto parts stores, I've seen prices vary from ~$10-$40.

Then just load it to your drill and we're off. (If you are going to be using a cordless like I did, have a backup battery on the charger ready to go.) There is usually a film on the eraser that you'll need to get off before you start, I just put mine on the driveway and spun it for a second or two to get it off.

Step B: You will want to wash the rig first so you don't rub dirt/dust/sand into the paint, cause that can scratch it. Now we are ready to start. Place the eraser on the vehicle where the sticker begins and pull the trigger. You will need to work down the vehicle the opposite direction of the disk, and you are going to want to run the drill on a low speed and apply medium/heavy pressure, you'll realize fast what works. The goal here isn't to burn or "erase" the sticker, you are actually using the eraser to peel the sticker back.

The eraser throws a lot of dust around, so unlike the dum dum in the picture it would be wise to wear safety glasses and dust mask. This is going to make a mess. You will want to make sure you don't let the disk get to hot, that can burn the paint. If it starts smoking, you are going to fast, and the disk is too hot.

I got this roller-stool at Harbor Freight for a couple bucks, and it was perfect for this project. I would highly recommend one.

You can see in that picture how the sticker is peeling up, that is what you are shooting for. Again, you'll get the hang of it quick.

This picture demonstrates a few things, on the right we still have the sticker. On the left it's been removed with the eraser, you can see some of the dust it left behind. What you can't really see in the pictures is that the disk leaves a slight film on the paint in the area you used it. (The rest of the gold on the left is actually paint.) You can see the glue on the right from the trim that I just ripped off, the eraser takes that right off too.

Step 4: Clean up.

Once you've got everything that you want off, take a brush and sweep all the dust off the Jeep onto the floor. Then clean all the dust up, you don't want to wash that all down the drain. Once you are all swept up, rinse off the vehicle.

Now you'll address the film the eraser left behind. What I did, was spray some "Goo-Gone" onto a towel and wiped off the affected areas. That seemed to work great. Then give it a complete wash.

Step D: Step back and enjoy your work.

Before:

After:

My finished product with the lower portion painted:

Notes:

I removed the flares and bumper caps, I would recommend that as it would be very hard to do it with them on. However some things don't require it. Make sure and read the instructions that come with your eraser. There was a warning line on my disk, you do not want to use the eraser beyond that line because there is a metal disk inside, you can imagine what that would do to your paint. The eraser will remove glue, tape, stickers, and vinyl from the paint with out damaging it. It took me about 6 hours to do my Jeep, but there was a lot to remove on mine, plus I wasn't in a hurry and that was over a 2 day period.

Have you tried a heat gun?
:nuts: I just used some mineral spirits and a razor blade to remove my stripes.

I wasn't saying this is the only way to do it. I tried using my heat gun, but that was just going to slow for me, and since the stickers are 15 years old they weren't coming off very good that way. I wouldn't use a razor blade on paint.

Where it says don't exceed 4000 rpm... they mean it! I had never used one before and this other guy at work mounted one in a die grinder.... you know, the 10000 rpm ones! He showed it to me and I hooked it up and grabbed the trigger.... it spun up and disintegrated into a thousand peices including some larger chunks that really could have hurt someone if they had hit them... those peices flew across the shop, bounced off the walls, and I slunk into a nice hiding spot for awhile!

I have one of my own now and am in the process of doing this same thing on my sportruck stickers and wagonner donor woodgrain! Ill have pics when its all finished! NICE JOB TOO!

Great job!

I used a heat gun on my '88 Pioneer decals. It takes patience, but it worked really well on the 22 yr old decals and left no residue.

It was a shame how beautiful the original paint was underneath them because I then had to take the rest of the truck down to bare metal...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Nice. I need to get the lame pioneer stickers off of mine.

What? The Pioneer decals should be revered.

I am so 'on the fence' about this.

Somedays I want to strip them off 'Grandpa',

other days I'm glad to have them in such good condition

(Jeep was repainted at some point, decals look less than 10 years old to me).

:dunno:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...