Avro Arrow

SomeNew Name

As far as I know, DirtyComanche and myself may be the only Canadian AME's on the board here, but I have just recently aquired a set of tickets to go to the roll out of the newly built Avro Arrow Replica. This is a Canadian aircraft that was built in the 1950's which even by today's standards would still maintain air superiority. I have a love for this aircraft and would love to share it with you. I will be attending this roll out on Sunday of this week, I will be missing Thanksgiving Dinner with my family for this but that's just a small price to pay. (Ohh yeah sorry guys our Thanksgiving is this week :chillin: )

I will be sure to take many pictures and share the wealth. Also I made this thread to Talk with DirtyComanche about aircraft or anyone that has a love for these flying beauties.

I'll be taking alot of pictures and will be sure to post them in time, once I get them developed.

And.....let the posting begin.

http://scaa.usask.ca/gallery/arrow/

if you would like to know about this Canadian Legend.

Sorry guys I updated the link to someother site that wasn't K.I.A

Well I'm glad that there are other fanatics on here.

I myself am a fully licensed M1 AME (Aircraft Maintenence engineer) and DirtyComanche is well on his way to becoming an Apprentice AME.

Which Bomber are you talking about? I don't know much about what came out of Rockwell, but I always enjoy learning.

well i am talking about the B1 Bomber Lancer. i am sure if you saw pics you would know which one i am talking about. just get on google images and search for B1-B and you will see. it was made as a sort of replacement for the B-52. it has a much higher payload, longer flight range, smaller in size, faster, more precise target system, along with the movable wings and nose for higher speeds and take off and landings. they are not used too much anymore since the B2 has sort of replaced it. but it is still in production and used for long range non stealth missions that require mass amounts of bombs that the B2 can't carry.

Alex

that is good. wonder where i can get one of those. or since they can get that do go that fast then i wonder how fast i can get my MJ to go. lol. yea the B1 is one sweet looking bomber. but i can't wait to see these pics you get.

Alex

LOL that's a cessna 172 it's impossible for those to go transonic like that, the chamber of the wings is designed for subsonic flight, I think someone photoshoped that one to make it look like it's going transonic. Plus that's a formation of an Oblique Shockwave, and those only form at the mid-section of the wing and then drop back to the trailing edge.

I laughed my @$$ off at that picture. Ohh yeah and I'm going to the Roll out on Sunday, so I hope to have the pictures developed but thursday at the latest. I'm soo stoked.

Flying boats are awesome! Ever see a Martin Mars? They use them to fight forest fires in my neck of the woods.

Mars-waterbomber.jpg

There's also a good ol' Buccaneer outside the hanger right now. Definatly a cool aircraft if you're into visiting remote lakes.

buccaneer.jpg

Only downside to those things is that your payload capacity is horrid.

I used to work on 215's before they remoed alot of them from service and have worked on a few 415's, I love doing test runs on those beasts, specially on the 215's. When they fire up the 215's with the old radial engines it just makes my heart pound. it's the most beautiful sound you have ever heard. Kinda like a beaver being fired up. there is just something about the radial engine that get's me going. plus it's the best piston engine out there, best power/weight ratio on every A/C beats the pants of any Opposed engine.

There's also a good ol' Buccaneer outside the hanger right now. Definatly a cool aircraft if you're into visiting remote lakes.

buccaneer.jpg

Only downside to those things is that your payload capacity is horrid.

I can't really say I'm a big fan of the pusher type props, I find they are highly

unefficent, and es the Buccaneers are a horrid A/C for payload but i think they are a STOL A/C are they not?

Pete is right. The standard is 18 inches of clearance from the water to the tip of the prop. But with this A/C maintaining a good CofG is as easy as relocating a fire extinguisher alittle more forward or aft. An AD (airworthiness Directive) was issued about this A/C. I think it was about the hub of the prop comming off during flight, and having to replace the hardware (must have been a defect batch of bolts). I'm not too sure I'll look it up net time I'm at work.

I don't know much about planes, but I thought that picture of the lil plane was hilarious and...

When they fire up the 215's with the old radial engines it just makes my heart pound. it's the most beautiful sound you have ever heard. Kinda like a beaver being fired up.

I almost fell on the floor over that, sorry.

Do you guys learn to fly and everything in the training?

don't know much about planes but i like them alot Plus I'm in the air force. Oh and we are getting the f-35 here at my base and doing away with our 16s. The airshows are awesome last one they had remote control biplanes that flew at the same time the big biplanes did and copied every stunt sycronized(if that the spelling) together.

Cole

We prob have plenty of parts of of them since we have had to smack down in the past 1.5 years but you don't hear much about that unless you from the state it happens in. I think they fight to keep that kind of stuuf of the world news. And BTW if a F-16 hits the water at a very high rate of speed the biggest chunks left are the size of a credit card and also if you pass out and eject incorectly when you wake up and realize you have screwed up your body will PAY for it. :chillin:

Cole

• 2 weeks later...