Fuel Skid

I scored a steel fuel tank skid off of a LWB MJ. IIRC those have 23-24 gallon tanks, my MJ has the smaler tank (17-18?).

So will the skid from a LWB fit my SWB? It's not the plastic cover, it's fairly beefy with 6 or 7 mounting points. I'm OK with cutting it a bit but I'd rather leave it intact.

I think the skid plate is the same size , mine looks the same as all the other ones that i've seen but thats not very many ..

I am about to make my own thick gauge steel and powder coated .

Long and short bed skids are significantly different-- not just length, but mounting points. Won't happen on your SB.

Actually it will happen, I was just hoping it would happen easily.

...with a little cutting & welding it will happen.

Can you post up a picture of it? I am curious on how it mounts. I made my own and I need to finish it up but I have 3 'significant' mounts right now and need to add a 4th but I am always open to seeing how others did it. I have never seen an OE one of these in person :(

Long and short bed skids are significantly different-- not just length, but mounting points. Won't happen on your SB.

Actually it will happen, I was just hoping it would happen easily.

...with a little cutting & welding it will happen.

:headpop:

the jeep gods would be happier if you held out for the proper part and saved the one you have for someone who needs the lwb version. and we could all use all the help from the jeep gods we can get...

the jeep gods would be happier if you held out for the proper part and saved the one you have for someone who needs the lwb version. and we could all use all the help from the jeep gods we can get...

If one of the Jeep gods sends me a SWB steel skid, I'd be happy to send him the skid for his LWB :cheers:

I haven't clumb under there yet to check it out. We'll see.

Just checked every skid under everything I got. One, They're ALL plastic. Two, They're all full of dirt, just begging to accumulate moisture so they can rust the tank.

After pulling your carpets to check for rust maybe better drop your skids and check them also. or just remove them. From what I've seen I think if you got the plastic just remove them. If you got the metal, leave a space between the skid and tank so you can hit it with a hose and clear the crap out. :dunno:

Thanks,

I saved the picture. I still have to climb under there and check it out...maybe this weekend. Then maybe I'll post up a photo and offer a trade if it's not fitting.

Not plastic...steel. Has drain holes/vents. I never had ANY skid, not even plastic. I have no rust (I have no carpet) other than what I can scratch off with a Brillo pad.

I have been over the whole truck and no significant rust.