what is this thing?

i found this while rewiring my plow last night.

not sure what it is, I'm SURE you dudes know.

some sort of air bladder with vacume lines all in and out of it.

its between the front bumper, and the passengers headlight...well under the light behind the bumper.

just interested...thanks

theres also the coffe can sized thing under the collant bladder, its the size of a coffe can and has ?coolant lines? running in and out of it...no pic sorry....

Thats one of your balls ...... its the vac chamber for the Cruz Control .... unfortunately you have the Uni-baller MJ (or XJ), but its ok John Kruk has one, Lance only has one.

jk, all XJ's and MJ's are Uni-ballers, there is no second ball, although one could be added. :thumbsup:

It also controls where the heat comes out. If the lines break you will only get heat from the defrost vent.

.....and don't worry, it looks like you have the more popular dual ball :banana: . I believe one side for cruise and one for vent door

Since the part has been identified but not explained, allow me to elaborate. The heater controls are vacuum actuated. If (or "when" may be more accurate) you get a vacuum leak, you'll find that when going up hills or accelerating under load (when engine vacuum drops), you'll think you don't have heat. What happens is that the default position for the flappers is to send air to the defrost vents on the top of the dashboard.

The "blimp" or "softball" stores some vacuum to hold the system during periods of heavy load on the engine, when the vacuum being produced isn't adequate to keep the controls open.

my truck doesnt have cruise controll, should it still have one of these things?

Yes, but yours should be round (the "softball") rather than elongated (the "blimp"). You need it for your heater controls. The one for vehicles equipped with cruise control has two chambers, which is why it's elongated.

my truck doesnt have cruise controll, should it still have one of these things?

Yes, but yours should be round (the "softball") rather than elongated (the "blimp"). You need it for your heater controls. The one for vehicles equipped with cruise control has two chambers, which is why it's elongated.

hmm... :hmm: ive got 2 5 speeds (no cruse) both have the elongated ball...

not to doubt you eagle just curious, is this one of those jeep things?

....never doubt eagle :no: . its bad juju... plus hes always rite.

Since the part has been identified but not explained, allow me to elaborate. The heater controls are vacuum actuated. If (or "when" may be more accurate) you get a vacuum leak, you'll find that when going up hills or accelerating under load (when engine vacuum drops), you'll think you don't have heat. What happens is that the default position for the flappers is to send air to the defrost vents on the top of the dashboard.

The "blimp" or "softball" stores some vacuum to hold the system during periods of heavy load on the engine, when the vacuum being produced isn't adequate to keep the controls open.

WOW! I'm glad I read this. When I turn my ac or heat, it only blows through the defroster. I was about to start taking apart my dash to see whats up. I guess I just have to replace some vacuum tubes and maybe a blimp. Thanks!!!