newest new guy!

red

New guy here. Going to check out an 88 MJ (I6 LB AT 4X4) tomorrow, hopefully I'll be a happy new owner. I'm not new to Jeeps, I've had an XJ (87) a CJ7 (86) and YJ (??). It's been a few years since I've owned them though. Great site, glad I found it. There's a ton of great info on here! :D

WELCOME!

Do you need to know the things to look at on a used MJ, or do you have a good handle on it?

Rob L. :cheers:

I think I have a good idea but I'll gladly take the advice!

Check for rust! Rockers, cab corners, around the rear flares.

I bought a 'rust free' truck 1 year ago.... Both of my rockers are rusted out and the rear wheel wells are rusted out. Don't get distracted with a good running motor :nuts:

You found the best corner of the internet! Comanche Club rocks jamminz.gif

our trucks rot from the inside out. pull up the carpet as best you can on every edge and check for moisture/rust/bad smells. Then get down on the ground and peer straight up in front and behind the rear tires to check between the bed outside wall and inside wall. that's where dirt/moisture get trapped and that's where the rust starts that rots out the bedsides. look for rust on the fuel tank and everywhere else underneath. an otherwise good looking truck can start rusting from below if the owners only ever washed the paint up above. as for rockers, that one is hard to check. I guess you could tap them to see what they sound like. always bring a fridge magnet to check for bondo. the magnets will stick to steel, but not to any bondo'd areas. oh, and loo at the bottom of the door seem for rust, and look at the hinges to see if they've started pulling away from the body.

welcome to the mainea.

i have that t-shirt, guns and moses :yes:

Thanks everyone. @Dakal, I love that shirt. Still need to order one.

Here's the pics:

4336491546_3b2a78d210.jpg

4336495898_f8fd60c2ed.jpg

Known issues:

- rust (rockers and cab corners) and minor body damage (frame is solid)

- leaking oil around the distributor cap

- warped rotor up front

- front marker lights are out

- idle is running a bit high (sounds high to me, no tach :( )

- lots of play in the steering wheel

The guy cut some off the price since I drove two hours through the crazy snow drifts to come check it out.

Nope... I have a bunch of old MJ's running around... I know where some are, I wished I knew where others were... :( Never should have sold the one that got me started, but hey, what are ya going to do...

How much did you end up paying for that fine piece of 'Manche?

Rob L.

Nope... I have a bunch of old MJ's running around... I know where some are, I wished I knew where others were... :( Never should have sold the one that got me started, but hey, what are ya going to do...

How much did you end up paying for that fine piece of 'Manche?

Rob L.

Under a grand. ;)