I brought home a -nche

Automan2164

Well, after a heads up from Pat(JeepcoMJ), and Wade(89Eliminator) about a very clean '87 Metric Ton sitting in a yard up in Wisconsin, Pat and I have been making plans to go get it. Its one of those "Good ol' boys" yards, so they always seem to have a beer. We went up there a few weeks ago and got a price, $300 for the bed only, or $400 for the whole back half of the truck (Including the D44 :yes: ). I called back earlier in the week to talk price, and after a tip from Wade, finally settled with the owner of the yard on a price of $300, and 2 cases of Budweiser. Wade had already gotten the tails, tailgate, the rockers, and cab corners off the truck.

We headed up there today, and picked it up. Pat pulled it out with his truck, we put some tires on the back, as well as one on the front, and went back down to talk to the owner about where he wanted to cut it up at. Ended up towing it to the torch truck, and having one of the guys cut and sawzall the truck in half. Since Wade took out the floors and corners, sitting down and steering/stopping was sketchy while Pat was towing me down to the torch truck in it. I fashioned a seat out of a rim and tire, and it worked out pretty good. During and after the cut:

After getting it in half, we offered to tow the other manche half to where ever, and they told us to take it by the crusher. :( So we did, and I got an interesting ride. That thing was all sorts of squirrely dragging on the frame rails, and Pat didn't hold back. He had that thing fishtailing all over the place, and gave it a good last ride. Also ended up talking the guy out of crushing it... and keeping it around for parts for us in the future. :D

Pats little brother let us borrow his snowmobile trailer, and we got it loaded up onto that for the ride back to my place. Stopped in for a beer and a burger at a place nearby, and found a bar that had AWESOME 1 POUND BURGERS... It was delicious... American, Cheddar, Pepperjack cheeses, Bacon, onions... all on a big slab of texas toast with waffle fries... So good. :drool:

So now I have a set of Metric Ton springs, D44 with 3.55's, a clean longbed, a spare longbed gas tank, and a bunch of other little stuff. There is no rust in the frame what so ever. All for $300 and a couple cases of beer. The guys even gave us a few beers to sit and chat with them once everything was loaded up... Good bunch of guys, and they will look for MJ's for us from now on. image_209027.gif

Rob L.

Pics from Pat:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Myself and the bed, Post meal:

Image Not Found

Thanks again for the help Pat!

Rob L.

Yep mines Gone under the battery about half of it I put a not so great patch in now that I have a welder its on the list to fix. Not sure if I should just do half or try replacing the whole thing as the rest is good. I can't find a good one around here.

Were those sheepherder (HighLift) jacks yours or the yards? Here they won't even let one thru the door. To dangerous. They raise the vehicle with a forklift and then stack rims underneath it. In my opinion they can be dangerous but properly used and a bit of common sense they get the job done.

Yep, they be high lift jacks... At the "Fancy" yards down by me, the cars are like you stated, all on rims, and off the ground. But at this particular yard, the employees walk around with beer and sandals... All bets are off there... We did have one bonehead moment when we jacked it up by the rear bumper, and I grabbed onto the leaf spring to reach under, and I almost tipped it onto myself. All I ended up doing was sideshifting the lower quarter right into the ball hitch on an old jeepster. :oops:

I love the highlift, and we even carry some on the Fire Department rigs for technical rescues/extrications. Sure, there are a lot of easier things to use, but in a pinch when all else fails, they will be sitting there in their simple mechanical glory to save the day.

Rob L. :D