what year of tj should i get?

comanche13

looking at buying a tj for my dd to keep my comanche off the winter roads and so i have another vehicle when my comanche is in the garage.

what year of tj is the best?

what options should i look for?

what should i stay away from?

Thanks

Tim

Preferably one that runs . :idea:

Just messin' . I'm trying to find one for the wife , I like the 4.0 , sport edition and sierra models .

Buy one with the hard top that no one messed with , that way it doesn't leak . Most don't , some do .

What about up to the 06 models? If possible I'd try find a "Rubicon", 44s, lockers, 4:1, TC.

I had an 06 Rubicon, didn't like the auto, huge rpm increase when it downshifted from OD to D at highway speeds. I compensated by slowing down in hillly country, putting tranny in......can't remember the "mode" just remember it locked out OD.

My TJ is a 99, drove off the lot new in early 99.... Can't say anything really wrong with it, or anything major I've disliked... We got the Auto, which is only a 3Spd...after my regaear , I wish I had the 4Spd auto, when I'm rolling on Hwy... But if you go stick, it won't matter too much.

If your not looking to wheel it hard and just a DD/Fun rig and want to go inexpensive 98/99/2000 bases models, stick a budget boost and 31's and you go just fine. If your going to build it up more, I'd start with a Rubicon model so you already have the Axles, Lockers, etc to start from (more $$$ up front). Would have saved me replacing my rear D35 on my Rig (but Rubicons weren't around then).

Don't buy a 2.5L, you'll hate yourself eventually, I'm not personally a fan of the looks of the Unlimited models (LWB), but having extra room to put crap in the back would be awful nice sometimes.

What about up to the 06 models? If possible I'd try find a "Rubicon", 44s, lockers, 4:1, TC.

I had an 06 Rubicon, didn't like the auto, huge rpm increase when it downshifted from OD to D at highway speeds. I compensated by slowing down in hillly country, putting tranny in......can't remember the "mode" just remember it locked out OD.

The '06 has the V6 engine, doesn't it?

If I were buying a TJ as a daily driver, I'd be looking for one of the original, 2-door Unlimiteds with the 4.0L engine. For a DD it doesn't need to be a Rubicon, because a DD doesn't need a 4:1 low-range and all the Unlimiteds have the Dana 44 rear axle.

The '06 has the V6 engine, doesn't it?

If I were buying a TJ as a daily driver, I'd be looking for one of the original, 2-door Unlimiteds with the 4.0L engine. For a DD it doesn't need to be a Rubicon, because a DD doesn't need a 4:1 low-range and all the Unlimiteds have the Dana 44 rear axle.

No the 06's were still the 4.0... the 3.8V6 came in 07

don't get a 4cyl(SE model), theyre cheap on gas, but not that great on the highway, especially with an auto trans. 05-06 came with 6spd trans which were nice but Ive heard the 5spds(97-04) are stronger, Ive had each, and I prefer the 6spd but thats cuz I drove mine for almost 4 years and got used to it. If you don't plan on lifting it and running bigger tires anytime soon, then you really don't need a rubicon. Rubicons are nice, but when theyre all stock you can be doing 65-70 and have high rpms because of the gearing. 97-02 were all pretty much the same for interior, color, drivetrain etc. 03-06 they made a few changes with the interior and had some different colors and they added the rubicon model, 04 they added the unlimited, and 05 the added the rubicon unlimited(which are hard to find). The regular wheelbase TJs are not bad, but if you have alot of stuff in your car and you have people in the back seat, then an unlimited would be nicer. Models to go for if youre going to keep it as a DD would be a Sport or Sahara model. An X model wouldnt be bad either, its pretty much just like the base model but with a 6cyl, and as for options, the other models don't have that much more than the X model, maybe a 6CD/MP3/Satelite Radio, or hard top, or something that can be easily changed out. Prices should vary from $5000-$20000 depending on what your looking for, most stay around $10-$14k

Also, since your gonna use it as DD, get one with a hard top, Its much quieter on the highway, its warmer inside, easier to clean, and theyre easy to take off if you have help. With a softtop, theyre nice but get loud, wear out eventually and tear, easy to break into, zippers become a PITA eventually, etc.

Superwade is right on the 6cyl, but also rubicons werent the only ones that came with D44 rear ends, some TJs and all LJs(Unlimiteds) came with D44s, the rubicon did come with a D44 front which no other wrangler had

I guess it depends on what you want out of a TJ , I don't really know what the options where for certain models .

I drove a sahara edition and it rode real smooth , nice 4.0 L and good tan leather interior package .

Pretty much fully loaded with interior options , but I was not sure on drivetrain specs . I do know the Ruby models are

plenty beefy though . I would probably look at one of those if I had my choice .

For my wife , she'll probably get one with heated leather no matter the type . For use as a DD . If she wants to , I'll beef it up .

Those things are everywhere here in Colorado . All the 4x4 shops have parts and goodies just lying around for those Jeeps .

Not like my MJ . :ack:

well i defiantly want a 4L not a fan of 4 bangers and i want a standard the TJ still had the AX-15 right? what is the Sahara like? what models came with the dana 44?

Yup I'm pretty sure they had the ax15 up until 05 and then replaced it with the benz 6spd, The 97-02 Sahara has different style seats, painted flares and side moldings, has running boards and I'm sure theres more I just can't remember, same goes for the 03-06, not sure about the seats though, and I don't think it has the side moldings. Any model wrangler except SE(I'm pretty sure) came with the D44, it was optional. All Unlimiteds I'm pretty sure came with them. My old 06 Wrangler was a Sport and it came with it, and a buddy of mine has an 01 Sport and he has the D44 also.

i haven't really been able to find a rubi and i'm hoping to find one for around 10,000 or so and seems like rubi tj's go for like 15 -20

Theyre out there, you just have to keep an eye out for them and wait, I almost bought an 04 rubi with 64k miles for $13900 the other day, but the dealer was draggin it out and they were asking for things I didnt have so I just left it, Ive seen a few 03-04 models go for about $10-11k,

Avoid the 00/01 (maybe 02??) 4.0L. Poor head design leads to cracking.

97-99 use a distributor ignition

00-06 use a coil pack ignition

00-04 uses the NV3550 5speed. Much nicer than the AX15 from my experience.

05-06 has the 6speed.

97-02?? 3spd Automatic

03-06 4 spd Automatic (Not an AW4, 42LE)

03-06 use a different transmission skid plate, hangs down lower than previous years

03-06 are the golden years (Rubicon). If you don't plan to go huge (+35/37's) and it is in your price range, pick one up.

03-06 have redesigned seats/mounting, a new windshield header (97-02 tops won't bolt on), radio bezel cut out is round, cab vents moved to tailgate from hardtop

03-06 Soft top design is much improved and nearly as quiet as a hardtop!!!!!

97-06 can be found with a D35 or D44

I am back to DD'ing my TJ since the MJ is being torn apart. Even with 35's, I am not afraid to cruise down the interstate at 75mph. Plus it rides much smoother than my worn out MJ does and the interior is much more comfortable.

:agree: I had to get rid of my 06 DD, and now I got a 99 as DD for now and Trail rig, and I really miss my 06, I kept a lot of stuff from it, and I'm trying to put everything in my 99, but not eveyrthing is as easy to change as I thought it would be,

If I was keeping it relatively stock, I'd hunt down a TJ with the Dana 44 rear. they came with 3.73 gears to better handle a small bump in tire size. :thumbsup: though I don't remember the name of the package that gave you that. :dunno: