who ever does this to thier comanche will be my hero

MancheKid86

That "thing" is a triumph of engineering, proving conclusively that some people have more time and money than common sense.

My biggest problem with it is the grille suggests that it was once a flat-fender Jeep..

I think that thing has been around for more than 6 years......I think I remember it in one of those Top Truck Challenges in the late '90's.....it's cool because it does the job it was built for

The only competition it showed up for... It failed miserably. Everything broke.

That would have been at least 6 years ago. Probably more like 8.

so what's it using to drive, hydraulic motors? Looks badass.

IIRC, it's hydraulic motors mid mounted in the chassis, with chains in the 'control arms' to the final drives. Hence the 'Chainlink' name. Suspension is obviously active.

Very cool. I can't believe people are talking crap about it.

so what's it using to drive, hydraulic motors? Looks badass.

IIRC, it's hydraulic motors mid mounted in the chassis, with chains in the 'control arms' to the final drives. Hence the 'Chainlink' name. Suspension is obviously active.

Very cool. I can't believe people are talking crap about it.

It doesn't work very well. Over complicated (both in control and mechanics), heavy, low top speed (or wheel speed), reliability isn't great from what I understand (I think it broke an arm clean OFF at the only comp it went to). From a standpoint of "Wow, he built something cool" it's a 10, but from the standpoint of "That thing will clean up at a comp" it's a 0.

I like cool things, but I also like them to actually work.

That's not saying that you can't make a hydrostatic rig work. Or active suspension. Or whatever. But there's a lot of R&D to get something 'outside the box' to actually function as well as something more mainstream. It's simple really, everyone builds solid axle rigs with gasoline engines, so all of the major R&D is already done... This? Not so much. The closest related application is a skid steer. Try wheeling one of those and let me know how things go.

ive read about people making solid axel or independant active suspspended wehicles but they used hydraulic rams to do something like what he did. its more reliable but certinally not that efective. the problem here is like dirty said there hasnt been enought research into what he made. with some major tweaking it might be a whoole lot better and ablt to do more without breaking.