oil on my air filter.....

i need some suggestions on how to prevent the blowby of the oil contaminating my air filter.

any good suggestions on how to bypass it?

i seem to remember a thread about it but i can't find it.

one of my sheeney friends said something about a "catch" made out of a bottle or something?

i don't know....thats y I'm asking!!!!

thanks in advance again :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

New style valve cover , without the " towers " to prevent oil from collecting . I am looking at the same conversion .

I think the new style is a steel valve cover ,but I'm not sure when the change over was .

I think the new style is a steel valve cover ,but I'm not sure when the change over was .

Yes, it's steel....and you hear a bit more valvetrain noise with it (if that matters to you). Changeover was '97 model year.

Jeff

I removed the valve cover breather hose from the airbox, capped the airbox with a rubber cap, flipped it over towards the battery, and put a breather filter on the end. That should solve any issues of oil from the valve cover dripping onto the air filter:

Can anyone post pics of this newer valve cover? If it doesn't have the forward breather that dumps into the airbox, that should definitely solve that problem. Those of us with the older style valve cover, will have to remove the breather hose from the airbox to avoid that problem.

The only problem with that is if your PCV system (yeah I know CCV) isn't working, it can lead to more problems than just oil in the aircleaner. Do a search. There are write-ups for VC swap or repairing the cast ones. There is actually an old Jeep TSB on this issue.

I used the stock valve cover on my 88. Took it apart, cleaned the towers "flappers", drilled a 3/8" inch hole about an inch up from the "bottom" of the towers (both of them). Then I used a breather fitting from a 97up valve cover, opened up the hole on the bottom of it to 3/16" shaved the outside so it fits in the hole, used permatex for sealant, put a pop rivet on both sides to hold it in place, reinstalled VC with a new gasket, replaced the vacuum fitting on the intake with a 1/4" size (larger hose=more vacuum draw) ran larger hose to the manifold fitting. Kept the crankcase inlet on the airbox as stock(kept system closed), so far no more "puking" oil.

And yeah, yeah, I know :needpics:

when I did this I was in a hurry, my apologies, I'll try and post pics later on Sunday of the finished product.

I removed the valve cover breather hose from the airbox, capped the airbox with a rubber cap, flipped it over towards the battery, and put a breather filter on the end. That should solve any issues of oil from the valve cover dripping onto the air filter:

Can anyone post pics of this newer valve cover? If it doesn't have the forward breather that dumps into the airbox, that should definitely solve that problem. Those of us with the older style valve cover, will have to remove the breather hose from the airbox to avoid that problem.

where does the oil go?

Does it go to the breather?

or do you have a reserve for the blowbac oil?

do you have to clean that breather?

i want to design a reserve to collect the oil of some sort.

don't you need the vacume to the airbox from that fabbed hose?

what about instead of a plug in the airbox, a re-routing back to valve cover?

My belief is to keep the venting flowing in the proper direction, open up the venting from the VC to the intake manifold go from there.

IMHO a catch bottle is just a bandaid for the problem. If the venting was working the proper direction, air FROM the airbox- INTO the front of the valvecover-OUT the back vent-INTO the intake manifold, the oil puking into the airbox wouldn't happen.