Custom front bumper

Does anybody have plans or blueprints for front bumpers?

I can usually make something functional, but need two tries to make it look good. Once to try and look at to make modifications for the final design. For what steel costs, I'd like to build my bumper only once.

No round stock, as I don't have (access to) a bender.

This is not meant as a step by step instructions. Only to generate some ideas of your own. Start by making some drawings of what you want. Either on paper or or one of the puter programs. Use cardboard or scrap wood, paneling, and fabricate a mockup. I don't do any of that. Just look in the scrap pile, see what I've got, and start cutting, welding.Whatever.Locate a source of steel. Highway guardrails are nice, plentiful and also make nice runners for car trailers. Just don't get caught.

Scrap piles are good source.

Image Not Found

Trailer frame rails make good bumpers.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Narrow channel iron can be welded together for wider surface. Meant to push. Not look pretty.

This one used 5"channel with 3"X3/16" for fill. 1/4" for brackets.

Image Not Found

Don't be bound by conventional thinking. Let your imagination soar.

"It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you're with a flock of turkeys"

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I really don't have any plans as I designed these as I went, but here's a couple pics of mine.

They are pretty simple, and give great clearance! I plan to mod the front more, to add a winch, etc...

These are made from 1/4" plate, 3"x5" 1/4" Angle, and 3"x3" 3/16" square tube.

i wish i had the option and possibilities you have....tons of steel a welder/torch and a manche

i think that the bumpers you have now are too big and bulky looking imo

you can make something noone else has

just look at ALL the pics in this forum and get your idea from there.

the dude above me gave you the dimentions for his!!

can't get better info than that!

good lick and keep me posted cuz I'm going through the same thing....well i will be in the spring!

Sorry, I really don't have any plans as I designed these as I went, but here's a couple pics of mine.

They are pretty simple, and give great clearance! I plan to mod the front more, to add a winch, etc...

Thanks, for the pics, that is pretty much along the lines of what I have in mind, but with a winch mount on the front bumper as well.

i wish i had the option and possibilities you have....tons of steel a welder/torch and a manche

good lick and keep me posted cuz I'm going through the same thing....well i will be in the spring!

Too big and bulky? I currently have two mangled stock bumpers. Front is bent near each end, rear is just a crumpled pile of metal and rust being held together by the trailer hitch underneath.

Thanks, for the pics, that is pretty much along the lines of what I have in mind, but with a winch mount on the front bumper as well.

Too big and bulky? I currently have two mangled stock bumpers. Front is bent near each end, rear is just a crumpled pile of metal and rust being held together by the trailer hitch underneath.

no the pic above yours....i dig the ones you have......I'm gonna use them as a basis for mine :thumbsup:

no the pic above yours....i dig the ones you have......I'm gonna use them as a basis for mine :thumbsup:

The bumpers in the first pics are too big and bulky. If you dig the ones I have, I'll gladly trade you my mangled ones for yours.

If you want something very simple, slim & basic, you could try something like this:

4" channel, angled up at the ends, and leaned back to match the body lines.

I also used 4" channel to make the side plates, and welded big honkin D-rings on the bumper face.

It's deceiving tho, the D-rings were only used to support the strap.

The strap actually went through the D-ring, and grabbed the hook, mounted more, or less in the factory tow hook position, to the bottom web of the 4" channel frame plates.

I did my ft & rear bumpers like this, and never had the strap fall off on it's own.

When you do want it to come off, you just push it back through the D-ring, and it pops right loose.

Another angle:

Only build working bumpers. Not looking bumpers.However you have put a bug up my a,,,ah,,er,,,ear so gonna see what I can come up with.

My rear bumper is beat to death and has a hitch ball on it. I hate it and plan to replace it with a piece of 3 1/2 " steel pipe. I want to cut the pipe in the middle and fabricate (possibly just cut off my old bumper) the liscense plate holder and step up with lights. here's my current bumper. I'll post a pic of the new one when it happens.

do you have the exact dimensions to your front bumper? :brows:

do you have the exact dimensions to your front bumper? :brows:

Not right off, but I'll try to remember to grab a tape and get some measurements for you.

cool thanks....hey if i get my old job back, steel fabrication shop, ill be able to help alot of dudes in here out with steel....theres all you can eat of steel there! :thumbsup: