2009 College Football Bowl Game Thread

SuperWade2

With all due respect to Don (Hornbrod) and his favorite Maroon Elephant Mascot'ed team in the South, anyone that watched the Holiday Bowl this evening (Nebraska vs. U of Arizona) witnessed the BEST defensive football team in College Football this year, PERIOD, bar none, without a doubt...I honestly beleive that Alabama will NOT hold Texas like Nebraska did a couple weeks ago. (although I think ALA should win without too much problem). I would take Nebraska's 2009 Defense against ANY team, including Alabama, and I think they would keep them in the game (the Offense at times this year was putrid, thus the 4 losses).

Discuss!

SW2

With all due respect to Don (Hornbrod) and his favorite Maroon Elephant Mascot'ed team in the South, anyone that watched the Holiday Bowl this evening (Nebraska vs. U of Arizona) witnessed the BEST defensive football team in College Football this year, PERIOD, bar none, without a doubt...I honestly beleive that Alabama will NOT hold Texas like Nebraska did a couple weeks ago. (although I think ALA should win without too much problem). I would take Nebraska's 2009 Defense against ANY team, including Alabama, and I think they would keep them in the game (the Offense at times this year was putrid, thus the 4 losses). Discuss!

SW2

Yep, agree SW2. Realize you are trying to salvage a semi succesful Husker season due to their putrid under pressure el-foldo offense, but defensively they are best in the NCAA. They are for sure getting there. Their offensive line is el sucko ad they need a QB. Defense wins games usually, but only if the offense is able to score off what the defense gives them. The Huskers couldn't do that all season when pressured. And yes, Bama prolly won't hold the Horns like y'all did, but they do have balance that the offense will make up for when the defense fails, and vs. versa. BALANCE! And Saban is the best head coach in football. Three years out of the ashes to national championship contention. He be doing something right with not really any superstars except the Heismann winner. :cheers:

I'm not sure what to make of the Sugar Bowl 2nite...is FLA that good, CIN that BAD, or just the team (CIN) giving up after their coach "quit" on them a week or two ago to goto ND. Both teams had Coach stuff going on, and Tebow with ~300 yd's in the first half... sheesh...

I'm thinking a combo of CIN not really playing anyone and having that perfect record, thus not really a "real" BCS competition with the likes of the 2nd best team in the SEC...

Don won't like to hear this, but I'm getting a feeling that the TX/ALA might be "closer" than I originally thought... I don't beleive it will be an ALA blowout that I did a couple weeks ago when Texas SQUEAKED out against "my" Huskers. I haven't looked at the line and haven't' bet on any of the bowl games this year, but I'd consider betting TX (with the Pts) if the line was right.

Cool Wade, bet your $$ on the Horns. :D More $$ for me. There's no "drama" associated either the Tide or the Horns as in the media circus at Florida. Tebow showed his vulnerabilities when he was destroyed by the Bama defense and his self-destruction fed over to the Urban-man too because he put all his eggs in the Tebow basket. He'll be back w. FL though; I don't like his weak character though. Tebow will get drafted to the pros, but he'll never function any higher than a backup QB type who could be decent if not killed ny injuries, but never a star. He reminds me of old time Redskins Billy Kilmer who survivied on heart, not ability. I truly liked Kilmer, but liked Sonny Jurgenson better. :D

By no means are we taking the Horns lightly. Should be a close game. For sure the two best teams are in there. Saban's coaching will be the difference - he's been there. Mack Brown has too, but his team is facing better talent for sure. Should be a great game. :cheers:

Don, I agree with your opinion on Tebow. I've said the same thing for a long time. Great athlete, all heart, good COLLEGE QB. My bro-n-law and I were watching last night and he was going on about how impressive Tebow is and I told him he'd never be a starter in the NFL. 5 mins later they had Brian Billick pointing out his poor mechanics, 12 second release time, and other NFL challenges he would have. And then today the headlines all say he showed what an impressive passer he can be to the NFL scouts there. Uhh, that's 1 game. I say he could be a pretty good H-back in the pros, and I even think with his size, speed, football knowledge and his heart, he could be a heck of a linebacker. :dunno:

Welp, tonight's the night boys! Any last minute predictions??? I say it's gonna be a close game but I think Bama's offense is going to tire out the Longhorn defense and pull away in the second half.

I say 33-20 BAMA. :banana:

Wade, I always hated Nebraska because when I watched alot of college ball they ran that option offense (with Frasier) that I hate to watch. Its like watching the same play over and over and over and over and......... Do they still run that style of offense?

Wade, I always hated Nebraska because when I watched alot of college ball they ran that option offense (with Frasier) that I hate to watch. Its like watching the same play over and over and over and over and......... Do they still run that style of offense?

No longer an "option/power running team"... this year they didn't really do anything well offensively, I think they wanted to be more balanced between throwing and running, but didn't have the skill positions or o-line to pull either off very well, at least this year, we'll see what happens next...

I'm also getting a itchy feeling about Texas, but not strong either way... I just hope it's not a blowout one way or the other or a 10-7 low scoring affair... I'd like a nice 38-35 finish or something similar...

Charles Barkley came to town the other day (he was born & brought up in Alabama) and when the local newsfolks asked him about tonight's game, he picked the Horns by a field goal. What a freekin' jerk. :cheers:

Actually I kind of agree with him because I think the the game will be close, but it'll be the Tide by a field goal probably in O/T. I think it will be a fairly high scoring game too with both teams in the 30's. I really don't want a Bama 40-point blowout and don't think it'll happen.

I havent watched in a while but when I did I liked Bama and Tennessee. I know, their in the same conference but back then Shaun Alexander and Peyton were the two most exciting players in the game

And some day Payton might be as good as his Daddy was. :cheers:

Yeah I saw his eyes watering a bit....actually feel kinda bad for the poor kid being put in one of the biggest games he'll probably ever see in his life with all that pressure. This smiley describes him perfectly right now... :help: :rotfl2:

Yeah I saw his eyes watering a bit....actually feel kinda bad for the poor kid being put in one of the biggest games he'll probably ever see in his life with all that pressure. This smiley describes him perfectly right now... :help: :rotfl2:

I don't feel bad. If you wanna cry you do it the end of the game after you busted your butt through the entire game trying to win it. That doesn't give the rest of your team warm fuzzies. If he can't handle the pressure he should be a cheerleader or something.

Hopefully Colt will come back in and make this a game............

No worries. But I'm impressed with Gilbert and how he responded and Shipley's a hell of a receiver. Now it's time again for 'Bama smashmouth football. Settin' on a lead never works..............

EDIT: Now that Blitz was smashmouth!