Turning a parked beater into a decent daily driver . . .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for 4-6 quarts it cost me in shipping for the same amount of shipping in get a 2.5 gallon's so when i order 2.5 gallons or more or 12qt case or more my dealer license saves me big time but 4-6 bottles of oil it's cheaper to go to the high priced shop as after shipping i'd end up aying $1/qt more. . .

Volume saves . . . i wanted to make sure the old MJ was going to like the high end synthetic oil before i buy a mass volume of it. . .

Mike

I think this engine is lounger then the 189,000 miles the ODO show's, engine is in sound strong mechanical condition !

i ran 2 engine flushes back to back and i got some dirty oil on the first and just a slightly tinted oil on the second, so filled it up with 4qt's of 10w-40 AMSOIL and 1 container of Engine restorer 8 cylinder formula, i'll be checking the oil rather offten for a while to monitor oil level and dirtiness and see how it holds up.

Mike

:cheers: i finally got my flush n fill jamminz.gif oil system is nice and clean and filled with AMSOIL 10w-40 premium protection high zinc formula, which i hadn't noticed the HIGH ZINC FORMULA until i was tossing out the bottle's, i normally use the 10w-40XL and the 15w-50 racing oil's, this time i tried the premium protection oil bit more money then the XL but cheaper then the racing oil . . .

So as long as this ZINC won't hurt my engine i'm going to switch over to this high zinc formulated blend 10-40 in winter n 20-50 in summer. . .

EDIT:

the 15w-50 has the HIGH ZINC formulation, but the standard 10w-40XL dose not.

Mike

Mike...

I will send you a pm with the complete explanation but the high zinc formulas are what you want for the 4.0l.

So is it going to hurt my 2.5L ? . . . should just back to the XL10-40 ?

Mike

The AMC 2.5 is basically a 4.0l with two less cylinders... so yes the AMO is fine. And no you don't want to switch back to XL.

Not sure which size tires i should go with, G78-15's 28.5" tall or 7.00-15's 30" tall.

G78-15:

http://www.universaltire.com/truck-and- ... axion.html

7.00-15:

I'm going to go with one of the 2 tires for sure as i love the tread design but i am unsure of which size would fit best . . .

Mike

Not sure which size tires i should go with, G78-15's 28.5" tall or 7.00-15's 30" tall.

G78-15:

7.00-15:

I'm going to go with one of the 2 tires for sure as i love the tread design but i am unsure of which size would fit best . . .

Mike

Bias ply tires? REALLY??? Is this going to be a daily driver? If so you'd really be better off with some radials.

Most everything I own at one time was daily driven on biasply tires with out any issues...

I drive 2 blocks round trip to work, the bank is 2 mile round trip and the geociery store is only 1 block ruinf trip.

If go 7,500 miles a year I'd be impressed !

Now that being said I looked at many radials I can't match the aggressive tread for the price.

If I wanted to put $1000 set of tires on it I could have aggressive radials, that's just the tires...

For $800 or less I can have either of the above tire bought shipped mounted n balenced !

Them tires will last me a few years.

Mike

I've pulled 4-5 Jeeps out of the woods with those old things on them. Kinda figured they are not used on today's vehicles for a reason...

Why not just go get a used set of radial tires? They are on Craigslist all the time for half the price of these things new...

:dunno:

I have yet to see a road worthy used MT tire, there either wore out junk !

Or

There good tires that by the time you buy them ship them and mount them ya may as well bought new ones...

But anywho, 92% of tires I have seen on eBay or Craigs list are of such a tame tread I'd be scared to use them as trailer tires !

I don't do street tires regular old generic road tread is of no interest to me.

Mike

I've pulled 4-5 Jeeps out of the woods :dunno:

:hmm: I sure hope you crushed every one of them, I'd hate to think of that junk being being put back on the road :hmm:

sorry but when i hear "pulled out of the woods" or "parked in a cornfield" I know what those look like, i have done some Crushing the past during the winter off season months :thumbsup:

Why not just go get a used set of radial tires? They are on Craigslist all the time for half the price of these things new...

Already looked only offering Junk tires, also gave EBAY a look to . . .see above links :thumbsup:

Mike

I've pulled 4-5 Jeeps out of the woods :dunno:

:hmm: I sure hope you crushed every one of them, I'd hate to think of that junk being being put back on the road :hmm:

Yah, my Dad and I got 'em for a reason - stripped 'em of all use-able parts then off to the crusher. We figured they were headed that way anyway, why not salvage what we could and then let 'em go...

Kind of look at it as doing the Jeeping Community a service be keeping the good stuff to pass on to someone in need.

I've seen many guys try to fix them up again it never ends well some body normally gets hurt, some missed crack ot weak steal lets go and boom big trouble.

I know some times it's hard to let'em go but its normally safer that way.

Mike

Mike.. you crack me up...

I love the old school snow tires....

For some reason fuel mileage was one of your criteria.. go for the smaller size. Not to mention with the 4-cyl, you don't need any help wasting what HP you have.