just for kicks!

No one made a throttle body spacer for my 86 2.5 so i made my own for free, from scraps. If it doesnt help atomize the fuel then i will rip it out and it will only would have cost me time ( i have a lot of it ) I will let you know in a week or so if it helped low end power or not. :fool:

i used 5/8" aluminum ( i had enough space for 3/4" but didnt have any laying around) and 1/16" aluminum sheet for fins (not sure if they are going to help). I made a template of the throttle body holes with gasket material and then I just used my drill and dremel with a hole cutter attachment on the drill and saws all. The hardest thing is making sure everything is center. then sorry to say i used jb weld to make sure the fins had a good seal on them. Now I'm matching the tbi, spacer and intake together for good flow.

One thing i may change next time if this works is to use Teflon it insulates and has a melting point of 500 degrees and very easy to work with. Ive seen someone use a plastic cutting board for spacer i don't think its a good choice because polyurethane has a melting point of 260 degrees.

:thumbsup:

I will refine this later, yeah jb sucks but beats the hell out of epoxy. the jb weld isnt in the bore of the plate.I have screws on the side holding the fins in too. fuel won't hurt jb weld and it can handle temps up to 400. and yes the fins are clear of the butterfly.

Well today was the first day i got to drive her around (I replaced the control arm bushings) and it is actually a noticable difference! I had a weak spot when taking off in first gear and it completely gone, with slightly better throttle response. I didn't notice any increase or decrease in top end power. Its most noticeable when the throttle plates are barely open, and you can hear the vacuum at different throttle positions or load conditions. Cruising was easier to do for better words it seemed a bit smoother. I haven't noticed anything bad or worse yet, I will run a tank or two threw and calculate my mpg and post that later.

All and all not a bad trick. :yes:

Ive only ran threw 1/4 of a tank so far, with mixed driving in town and highway and it really about the same. (I will get some numbers soon) One thing I have noticed, that my throttle body now sweats. Its really cold on the outside of it, kinda like a soda on a hot day. wtf? I believe it is creating a bit of a pressure change with the turbulence kinda when you drain a O2 bottle it gets cold on the outside. Or its always done this and i just noticed haha.

The only problem ive ran into is that my throttle body is now too tall for the cold air intake I was trying to build for it, I will figure something out though.

ok, I filled her back up and did the math with mixed driving highway and town 1.34 mpg increase. this is only my first fill up it can be more or less, cause here in Oregon you're not allowed to pump your own gas unless you have a motorcycle, so fill up can very. I will post a average down the road. :banana:

• 1 month later...

how does it atomize the fuel when the injectors squirt right into the valve openings

i never liked TB spacers because there a waste of money and are added weight.

MPFI shoots the fuel 1" away from the head openings and there is no way to "swirl or mix the fuel" before it goes into the head. unless you make a spacer that sits between the Intake manifold and the head.

totally pointless

i don't want to bash you for your work I'm just giving my opinion on TB spacers in general

The original poster owns an 86 2.5L and so has throttle body injection so it's technically possible that the swirling action can enhance the distribution of the fuel. especially if the old injector isn't spraying like it should.

• 2 weeks later...
cause here in Oregon you're not allowed to pump your own gas unless you have a motorcycle

Really? :nuts:

Yes, I avoid filling up in Oregon. I don't care for anybody touching my vehicle. Luckily last time I filled up in Oregon the pump attendant at Love's let me pump my own fuel. Maybe he just didn't want to mess with filling up the auxiliary tank. :yes:

Willy

• 4 months later...