What's this?

And I grabbed these switches from an XJ at the JY:

But I guess I can't pop them in here:

And I can't replace it with the panel in an XJ cause it's held on like this:

And the old ones were on a plate like this:

Instead of this:

Do I just dremel it out to make em fit?

Also... What are they originally for?

Both have a neutral, up, and down position.

One has two sets of wires for everything, and when you push it up or down, it springs back to neutral:

I figure, I can put em in now, and it'll look snazzy, and then when I get the accesories to use them (which'll be soon, I hope), they'll already be in, but I want it to be all-pro, and useful!

What's this?

There's a bunch of dummy lights in that pod...one for the 4WD indicator, one for the BRAKE light, and a bunch of other stuff that probably doesn't light up on yours (like mine) :D Pop that screw off and hold that front panel up to a light and you can see all the nifty things there. I think there's a seatbelt indicator, and a low wiper resivoir indicator (among other things) in that junk too.....

Jeff

What's this?

There's a bunch of dummy lights in that pod...one for the 4WD indicator, one for the BRAKE light, and a bunch of other stuff that probably doesn't light up on yours (like mine) :D Pop that screw off and hold that front panel up to a light and you can see all the nifty things there. I think there's a seatbelt indicator, and a low wiper resivoir indicator (among other things) in that junk too.....

Jeff

Yep, and if you really look at it you notice some wierd idiot lights that you wouldn't think should or would be there. I'd have to look at mine again, but I remember scratching my head wondering about a couple of the lights.

If'n ya wanna see some blingin' warning indicators, there were some oddly optioned XJ's that had a "command center" console on the other side of the gauge pod (most have either a blank plate or a blank with a LED clock) above the cig lighter. THAT pod thingy has some way wacky things in it. I've only ever seen 2 of 'em in person (both in the junkyard).

Jeff

If'n ya wanna see some blingin' warning indicators, there were some oddly optioned XJ's that had a "command center" console on the other side of the gauge pod (most have either a blank plate or a blank with a LED clock) above the cig lighter. THAT pod thingy has some way wacky things in it. I've only ever seen 2 of 'em in person (both in the junkyard).

Jeff

girsmj86 is going to be getting one of them when he picks up his eliminator from rob. Yea, it is pretty cool, tells you almost everything ya need to know.

Jeff

I have seen two of them. One in a loaded 84 XJ, and the other in a 86 Mini-Waggy.

But the pod on the other side, held the low washer light. 4wd part-time, 4wd full-time, 4wd low, on my 88 Fleet XJ.

The low washer would flash on an off as you went around corners if the washer fluid was close to the limit. The sensor was in the bottom of the washer tank, on two pump tanks in the the XJ's

I pulled my cover on it, and put it in the light like suggested.

I only have lights for the seatbelt, 4wd, and something else, and don't have the three lights for Shift-up, check engine, and washer resevoir. There's also 4 whole blank spots.

I WANT LOTS OF LIGHTS!!!

you guys talking bout this nifty little thing i will be putting in my eliminator?

Image Not Found

not to mention the overhead temp gauge and map lights from an xj also. lol.

Alex

Now thats cool, but how are you gonna get that all wired up and working?

And I can't replace it with the panel in an XJ cause it's held on like this:

And the old ones were on a plate like this:

You can use the XJ panel. I did. Just use your Dremel to remove the four plastic welds that hold that dummy panel into the dash bezel, and the opening will be exactly the same as an XJ. I did mine that way -- I have an XJ panel in there with one switch wired to my home-brew dome light, and the other as a spare for whatever I decide might be interesting that runs on 12 volts.

Just remember that the XJ panels are not the same for the right and left sides of the steering column. You need a switch panel from the right side, but the switches will probably be for tranny power/comfort and rear wiper. You may need to replace the actual switch with an XJ/MJ fog light switch to get a simple SPST function out of it.

You can use the XJ panel. I did. Just use your Dremel to remove the four plastic welds that hold that dummy panel into the dash bezel, and the opening will be exactly the same as an XJ. I did mine that way -- I have an XJ panel in there with one switch wired to my home-brew dome light, and the other as a spare for whatever I decide might be interesting that runs on 12 volts.

Just remember that the XJ panels are not the same for the right and left sides of the steering column. You need a switch panel from the right side, but the switches will probably be for tranny power/comfort and rear wiper. You may need to replace the actual switch with an XJ/MJ fog light switch to get a simple SPST function out of it.

Thank you, I'll give it a shot. Classes start Monday for me, and the school's right next to the JY!

i will let you know once i start to put it all together and start a thread on the 91 in the projects section.

Alex

:popcorn: