Cut-throat Comanche - 1990 MJ Short bed

It's a 1990 MJ shortbed - Dana 30 front, Dana 35 rear, auto, 3.55 gears,4.5" lift, SOA in rear, bald 31's on it currently, but 33's should easily fit with some wheels spacers (or wider axles :P), locker in the rear, owner said they didn't know the manufacturer, but said "Detroit or something" - BS - doubt you'd put a detroit locker in a d35, if they even exist (haven't even bothered to check if the even make one for the d35) fabtech spare tire mount in bed.

It's ugly, it's a POS, and I'm going to beat the ever-lovin crap out of it (more than it's beaten already)

PURE SEX RIGHT HERE: custom 2.5" into 4" chrome stack ::) :P

AND PINSTRIPE FLAMES ::)

Too many To-do's to list

Stickers, flames, tint all need to come off for starters

need to clean out the bed better (owner said it would cleaned out but did real crappy job)

need new passenger axle stub, cracked at the u-joint, will probably throw a whole 'nother non-vaccum axle on it up front

Purchase Price $450

New Starter - $70

The fun I plan on having with it - priceless

This is my first true "rig" (first couple wheelin' trips done in my F-150 daily driver that I had), 1st jeep, and of course, 1st COMANCHE!!!

Truck looks pretty good overall! Hate to hear your gonna thrash it. IMHO, Buy a XJ and do this, there are FAR more of them out there.

I would also look at those rear shocks... the geometry seems off. Most efficient shock placement is at extreme end of axle mounted straight up. Angles slightly back at the top OK as this is how axle moves. With tops slightly tipped in, is also OK but both less efficient. Its a good way to get a slightly longer shock to fit. But NEVER mount it angled back AND angled in as yours appear to be!! :eek: :eek: If that's how they are. I doubt they are doing much of anything for you.

BTW, They certainly do make an array of lockers for the D35!! :nuts: :D

Good luck with it!!

CW

I would also look at those rear shocks... the geometry seems off. Most efficient shock placement is at extreme end of axle mounted straight up. Angles slightly back at the top OK as this is how axle moves. With tops slightly tipped in, is also OK but both less efficient. Its a good way to get a slightly longer shock to fit. But NEVER mount it angled back AND angled in as yours appear to be!! :eek: :eek: If that's how they are. I doubt they are doing much of anything for you.

CW

so if I cut the upper mounts off, then remounted the top of the shocks to mount vertically, that would be better? I think the position they are in was intended for flex, as opposed to ride quality.

I have lot's of things to undo on this rig, in my opinion.

Thanks all for the D-35 detroit comments, my local club members (Maine4x4 dot org) said the same thing...I think I need to sell that locker to pursue something more beefy.

Shocks should have nothing to do with flex. If they do they are improperly sized for the application.

Personally I would mount them as close to vertical as possible. If they are as long as they appear, you will likely be forced to mount them at some angle. Bring the tops together in the center. They will be less efficient but its a worthwhile compromise. Also consider your tire size and shock length and get some bump stops installed as well.

I like the factory XJ bumpstops and the "HELP" racks shock studs.

CW

• 1 month later...

so went out and tore some stuff off the comanche sunday....it took a while to get started on it because I had to reorganize the garage, and work has had me working late, lately.

I was only using one bay for my fiance's GC, and the other was full of random stuff. Now the comanche is inside, and she still has her bay...

first the stickers and tint had to go-

Before:

After:

I wish the pinstripe flame's adhesive came off better:

Tailgate had to go:

Front Axle came out - broken passenger side yoke on the axle side of the u-joint:

These are pics of the front suspension at full droop, before the axle came out.

I'm sliding in another whole HP d30 this week, and a C8.25 in the rear. I'm going to screw around with those axles with the stock 3.55 ratio until I can afford to re-gear / lock / etc. This MJ isn't running quite right, very touchy gas pedal, might need a TPS.

I already have arrangements to pickup a D44 for the rear, which I'm viewing as Stage 2 of this rig maybe next winter.

Picked up some trail spare quality 33 x 10.50's to screw around with too, and see if more trimming is required. I want to get some lower offset rims, before trying to mess with 33 x 12.5's or better tires.

When I do the 8.25 in the rear, I plan to relocate the shocks. Not sure yet where though...

(oh, before anyone says anything about the jackstand / cinderblock combo, I know it's not good, but it's what I have to work with currently, so unless you are shipping me bigger jackstands, I don't want to hear it)

Ok, so Pete guilted me into ordering a set of taller jackstands :D , after I confirmed with "Santa" they were not already coming.

Found a cheaper set than Harbor Freight:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-918006/

$5 cheaper, cheaper shipping, and coupon codes more prevalent.

Have not put in the D30 yet, because I think I'm picking up another one out of a 96 XJ for the bigger U-joints. Looks like I'll be doing it safer too.