In dash DVD players? (anyone ever try one?)

I always thought about getting one of these 'back in the day' (when $500 bought a cheap one, and good ones were $1200+).

Now cheap ones are ~$150, and you can find off brands with good reviews for ~$200.

I'm thinking one of these would work nicely with the center mounted kid's racing seat in the MJ, for long trips,

also thinking about using the back up cam option many have.

What do you guys think, anyone run one, love them, hate them?

I'm looking at the ~7" motorized screen type (not the tiny faceplate mounted 2-3" screen size)

You can get a good size drop down monitor for cheaper, but there's really no room for that in an MJ. :smart:

it most likely would hit the top of the dash if it were installed in the radio spot. if you were to move the heater controls and mount it there it would work fine. some will have an option to stay out a little when it opens and folds up. most will open fold up and then retract back about an inch or so. some you can just set to open and fold up.

If you hook the screen up correctly it will not play moving video while the truck is in motion. if you hook it up to have video when moving you could run into trouble with the police. you are not supposed to have a moving video display anywhere in front of the driver.

Yep, here's a pic from his build that shows even moving it down, it still hits. Don't think he ever did anything else with it.

Seems like you could find one that flips down. Custom van shops that put them in the overhead console may be who you need to get up with.

:cheers:

Thanks for digging up that pic, very interesting.

There's three types that should work, without moving the heater controls,

the smaller screen one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/821-EONO ... ioQ5fVideo

821-02.jpg

and a 7" one, that goes down, instead of up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1015-EON ... ioQ5fVideo

1015-01.jpg

and an 8.5" one that goes down:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1022-EON ... ioQ5fVideo

1022-01.jpg

This 'brand' has gotten OK reviews, even from some car audio boards.

It also gas some complaints of failures, and high return shipping charges for DOA's (auction says you pay return shipping to Hong Kong for failures in the first 7 days).

I have a Pioneer AVIC-N1 in my 2001 XJ. Bought it a few months after it came out and paid a pretty penny for it.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... ms/AVIC-N1

I only use the stereo and navigation functions. The touch screen is awesome, however I had to ground the parking brake wire to fool the system into thinking the vehicle is stopped. If you install newer map software (which I did) you have to open the unit up and do a bit of soldering to bypass the lock. My dash also fouls on the heater vents around 90% travel. Some states are pretty harsh about DVD players located in view of the driver. My advice would be to buy whatever YOU want, and pick up some inexspensive travel DVD players for the kids.

Yep, here's a pic from his build that shows even moving it down, it still hits. Don't think he ever did anything else with it.

Seems like you could find one that flips down. Custom van shops that put them in the overhead console may be who you need to get up with.

:cheers:

Thats mine. :D

It looks goofy the way it hits the dash, but it's not that bad of an angle when looking at the screen. My daughter watches her Barbie on it just fine. I have been thinking about installing a 97+ dash, so I haven't messed with it. The Heaterbox doesn't allow room for alot of modifications.

My guess would be no. I can't keep a decent CD player over a couple years with dust and what not. I now buy the cheap $100 pioneers at walmart. I do have an pioneer AVIC N1 (now outdated but new software is still available) in my Grand cherokee, motorized screen and GPS, comes in handy for movies and finding crap.