D44 cover question.

Well I thought that there was a thread that had asked about this but I can't find it.

What is this in the D44 cover?

I'm thinking that instead of pulling the cover, the mechanic punches a hole to drain and then puts the rubber plug in to seal it up. :dunno:

:cheers:

Reason #150brazillion no one works on my junk but me. :fs1:

I can imagine the poor guy who stops at quickie lube to get an oil & dif change before a long drive & trail run.

They punch a hole in his cover, and the plug ends up on the trail somewhere (no where to be found).

He's not asking if it is a D44, he's asking what's pulled up in a hole in the bottom.

OK I see now... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Of coarse its a rubber plug... :doh: :doh: But you knew that. like the others said, either some real hack is too lazy to pull the pan to drain OR the pan was punctured and this was the easiest fix.... I would clean it and weld the cover up and re-paint. Then, just in-case the cover was perferated on the trail, get some diff protection and forget it.

D44_thumb.JPGhttp://www.universityofjeep.ca/Products ... ards2.HTML

14BoltDana60Rings.jpg

CW

EDIT: Good call Pat. now that you mention it, I have herd of and seen pics of this too...

it was in a junkyard at some point.

JY's punch holes in diff covers to drain the fluid per local junk yard regulations.

someoone got it from the yard and shoved a rubber plug in it.

:agree:

and actually mine came from the junkyard with that exact thing in it. so imo it was all junkyard, thats exactly how mine looked when i snagged it.

JY's punch holes in diff covers to drain the fluid per local junk yard regulations.

This seems possible but, it still had diff fluid in it. I checked the other one I pulled from the same yard and it didn't have one. However, there is a dent in the same spot. I'll have to ask them when I go back there, however I know I've not seen them on other axles. Don't know why they would bother putting a plug in it knowing they were going to crush it soon anyway. Could be possible that it came from another JY however it looked like it was the original axle for that jeep. It was an 87 waggy with factory tow package. Seems like all the waggy's I've seen have had the D44.

The Jiffy lube thought could be possible as well. :dunno:

I've never seen an axle from a junkyard with the cover punched. And I've hit yards in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York and Pennsylvania.

My vote goes to the professionals at Jiffy Lube.

out here it's how they drain fluids so they can crush the vehicle, and some areas have ordinances about fluids remaining in the vehicles as well.

I've never seen an axle from a junkyard with the cover punched. And I've hit yards in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York and Pennsylvania.

My vote goes to the professionals at Jiffy Lube.

That's why I posted the way I did in my first post. :dunno:

Then like a flash, as soon as I read Pats post. :idea: I remembered a couple pics someone posted from another board, also from a mid western JY, with all the axles diff covers punched similarly. I wish I could remember where I saw the pic. I looked around last night for the post but cannot find it. Anyhow, someone else commented on the holes and the explanation mirrored Pats last comment. the oil pans and tranny pans where similarly perforated for same reasons.

They do not do this kind of stuff here in the new England area JY's.

CW

:agree:

and actually mine came from the junkyard with that exact thing in it. so imo it was all junkyard, thats exactly how mine looked when i snagged it.

:agree: they do this down here in Florida. The last D60 we pulled had the hole and rubber grommit :rant:

Well i must have been lucky :yes: the one that i have got from the jy serveral months ago does not have that quick drain plug and maybe the guy was sleeping on the job and missed and :dunno: it was never went through the jiffy drain place :clapping: just have to replace the perches since this one came off of a 87 cherokee jamminz.gif

Well i must have been lucky :yes: the one that i have got from the jy serveral months ago does not have that quick drain plug and maybe the guy was sleeping on the job and missed and :dunno: it was never went through the jiffy drain place :clapping: just have to replace the perches since this one came off of a 87 cherokee jamminz.gif

You go to the PNP on Sykes Ave right? I've pulled several from there and everyone I had to drain the diff fluid out including the one with the rubber plug. The only one with the plug was this one.

Say it is the JY's, then why do they care to put the rubber plug in. Why waste the money on something that they are going to crush if it doesn't sell? Just seem strange but I guess the census is that it's the JY.