Max tire size without lift

I'm about ready to buy a 1988 Comanche 4wd, and it has stock steel wheels with 235/75-15 tires. I was looking on the local Craigs List, and someone is selling 15x8 chromed steel wheels with 31x10.5 tires. Will these wheels/tires work without rubbing on a non-lifted Comanche?

Robert

Norfolk, VA

which wheels? 31s on no lift with aftermarket rims (typically ~4" of backspacing) will contact the fender flares something fierce. Stock Jeep rims will work better, but then you'd have rubbing on the lower control arms (which is actually easier to work around than flare contact).

Yup, although you may get some rubbing on the LCAs with the wheels turned to full lock.

Not necessarily. Are the 15x8 chromed steel wheels you refer to regulation Jeep wheels? If so, I agree, If not, better find out what the wheel back space is.

EDIT: Pete beat me. :D

Here's the link to the wheels/tires on Craigs List:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/1443161626.html

I have a '98 GMC Sonoma 2wd, 2" body lift, stock GMC alloy wheels, with 30x9.50 tires. They rub on the frame when turned full lock. To me, these wheels/tires on Craigs List look too big for a non-lifted Comanche. But if I'm wrong, by all means let me know!

These are the other wheels/tires I'm thinking of getting. I know these will work, because the tires are 225/75, and the tires on there now are 235/75s. I'm kinda liking these better, because they're Jeep alloys, not chromed steel, and would give it more of a "jeep" look, lol!

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/1441868615.html

So what's the verdict?!

The only way 31s fit with no lift is with stock wheels. Even though 8" wide rims are better for 10.50" wide tires, most after market wheels have less than factory backspacing. You wouldn't be rubbing the control arms, but you would be eating your fenders. You'd need 3" lift and extended bump stops.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I think I'll pass on the chromed steel wheels and 31's, and go with the Jeep alloys with 225/75s for now. And the comment about the tires having an odd wear pattern on the Jeep alloys, the seller mentioned that in his ad, said it was due to an alignment problem or something. I'll probably put those tires on the back, and put the "normal" looking ones on the front (after I get them re-balanced of course!). Probably get the alignment checked as well once I get the truck and put different wheels on anyway, just to be safe...

• 13 years later...