My D35 is Growling at me.

Hey Jacked88,

I'm going to Houston (north side) tomorrow for work and I have a '97 8.25" 29 spline 3.55 geared XJ axle in my garage. You can have it for $100... let me know.

If you can locate one, a '97+ XJ automatic w/o ABS with the UpCountry package will have an 8.25" 3.55 geared w/ Trak-lok factory installed LSD. I found one of these rare birds in the JY so I have no need for the '97 any more.

Also, located a '87 XJ D44 in the yard with 3.55 gears but no LSD.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. It is a complete axle e-brake cables, brake lines, drums etc and NO RUST. Pulled it out of a '97 2wd that had street tires on it. Gears checked good, no abnormal wear patterns. I paid $90 for it but had to pull it myself in 90+ degree temps, then haul it in a wheelbarrow 1/4 mile to the check out counter (huge u-pull yard).

Just trying to help a fellow MJ'er. :cheers:

More on the 8.8 , another important difference between the axles mentioned would be ring gear size, the Ford being the largest. The 8.8 was available in Rangers,Explorers,Mountaineers, and F150's among others. The 95+ Explorers axles had 31 spline axle shafts,disc brakes,many came w/4.10's and LS,.250 wall-3.25 Dia. axle tubes.They were also sprung under but I,m not sure about perch width/angle. RuffStuff is another good resource for builder parts. With C4C,the yards have lots of inventory to choose from. :thumbsup:

Hey Jacked88,

I'm going to Houston (north side) tomorrow for work and I have a '97 8.25" 29 spline 3.55 geared XJ axle in my garage. You can have it for $100... let me know.

If you can locate one, a '97+ XJ automatic w/o ABS with the UpCountry package will have an 8.25" 3.55 geared w/ Trak-lok factory installed LSD. I found one of these rare birds in the JY so I have no need for the '97 any more.

Also, located a '87 XJ D44 in the yard with 3.55 gears but no LSD.

DONE!!! Below you'll find my phone number so we can set up a time and place to meet. Ummm, I'm thinkin sometime after noon if thats OK with you? don't suppose you have any MJ lower shock mounts/plates?

Just give me a call. 281-392-5069

Thanks!!!

Robert

From 1987 on, ALL 4.0L XJs came with 3.07 gears behind the 5-speed manual tranny, and 3.55 gears behind the automatic. That's what will be in the Country Edition XJ you found. I believe the Country Edition was only available with automatic, so the axle will be geared with 3.55s.

The Trac-Lok is a decent, clutch-type limited slip. Those Ford Explorer axles that have a traction device also used a limited slip. Might even be the same one; if not, it's very similar.

Ummmm, NO. I just found a 95 Country that has a 4 banger, 5 speed and he claims 4.11's.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1444481321.html

I sent tha guy a message and he returned with this ....

I've attached a pic of the rear diff but there is no tag on it. I seem to remember that the gear ratio was 4:11 if that's what you wanted to know. It is a 5 speed manual transmission and the transfer case is not full time. On why the transmission got stuck in neutral, I had a couple of people tell me it could have been nothing more then a shifting fork but never had the money to get it looked at. It is the Country model with 101,000 miles. I do remember doing research on the transmission, AX15 5-speed manual, it was a bit pricey for a used one. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Tha pix he sent are of a 4cyl motor and what looks to me like a D35. If I can figure out how I'll post tha pix.

Damn, I thought I had found the perfect doner vehicle till I saw tha D35.

I'm also waiting for a reply to an 89 Limited I found ..... http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1444349302.html

Figured it might be worth a look since I also need tha trans and t/c.

Talked to a j/y today who said they had a 87-90 XJ trans and t/c for $250 bucks. Thats not bad but for another $250 I could have a whole vehicle. (the 89 Limited although they say its not running)

Hey Robert,

Sent you a Private Message and called ya. You still interested? Thanks

LOL!!! Your number musta come up as a "private number". :no: We don't do private numbers around here. Those are usually frickin bill collectors.

Yeah, I want it. Fixin to call ya.

Ain't technology wonderful. There's nothing like asking someone to call you, then fixin' your phone so his call can't come in.

And you're waggin' a finger at HIM? Shame on you for wasting his time.

No worries, I think we got it worked out :cheers:

Ain't technology wonderful. There's nothing like asking someone to call you, then fixin' your phone so his call can't come in.

And you're waggin' a finger at HIM? Shame on you for wasting his time.

:thwak: No grasshopper. That waggin finger is supposed to mean "no, no" :no: As in "no" :no: private numbers git answered around here. Caller ID technology gooooood. :thumbsup: Private number technology baaaaaad. :no:

comanche09 and I are just fine. In fact, we're gonna meet next week. :cheers:

Sorry if some of yall took it as if I was yankin comanche09's chain or wasting his time. Hopefully by the explanation above yall know that wasnt my intention.

Just to make sure we're clear, this; :no: does not mean "F-you". (although it does have a striking resemblance)

See ya. :waving: (this one is WAVING as in hello or in this case goodbye.

(Just messin with ya)

L8R!!!

Good deal. I'm buyin comanche09's 8.25. That takes care of tha axle but I still gotta have some of the hardware. (MJ lower shock mounts/plates and the prefered new spring preches) I placed a "wanted" add in tha classifieds but I'm gonna check Mopar Perf as suggested.

Can anydody tell me how long tha shocks will need to be for that 8.25 in a COA set-up? Damn, I hadnt though about tha fact that my truck is fixin to sit even higher in tha rear with the larger diameter axle tubes. Good lord this truck is gittin tall!!! I'm gonna end up needin a pair of those little steps to climb in it. Over 6 inches of lift is gittin up there. I guess those 6.5 fronts from R/C are gonna end up bein just right.

I don't need 6 inches of lift. Three or four on 33's would be more than enough. But 6+ inches plus 33's??? We're talkin what, damn near 9 inches? That doesnt sound like that much till ya try to climb in it or wanna put something in tha bed. I'll have to have 10 foot ramps to put my 4-wheeler in it.

Speaking of, you know when you put your atv in your truck and when tha front tires go over the fender wells it puts tha front bumper damn near through your back window? Yeah, I've gotta solution for that and you don't even really have to build anything. OK, I lied. You have to cut wood. Find yourself two pcs of 8"x 8" lumber about 28" long. (R/R ties will do but their kinda messy) Cut one end of both pcs at an angle to match the front angle of your fender well. Your almost done. Now, on the drivers side of an MJ, notch out as needed where your gas filler makes that hump in the bed and for that other little hump that in front of tha fender well. Your done. Paint/seal as desired. Made a set of those about 5-6 years ago for a Ford Ranger and havent broken a window since. :roll:

More later.

Robert

I used spring perches from Ruffstuff Specialties. They are a lot longer than stock ones, reducing axle wrap. They also sit a bit higher above the axle tube, though. Add to the Ruffstuff perches the thickness of the spring pack, the diameter of the axle tube and the thickness of the stock Spring under perches, and they will give you almost 6" lift over wherever the truck sat SUA. I first did a SOA conversion with my D35 which survived wheeling with 33s. What finally did it in was a bent drive shaft messing up the pinion bearings. Since I left the SUA perches on the axle I used square ubolts over top of the springs down through the original spring plates below the axle, and used the shock mounts on them. I now run a 8.25", again with perches from Ruffstuff, but also shock mounts from them, with round u bolts from below the axle pointing up and through spring plates I got off a Cherokee in the local Pull-a-Part. After I had the axle under I lifted the @$$ up to let the wheels hang, and then loaded it up with a bunch of neighbors to compress the springs to measure where I wanted the shock mounts welded on. I'm using shocks meant for a Toyota T100 in the rear, the part number is in my build thread somewhere. I tacked everything on with a 90A wire feed welder, then took it to a welding shop to have it permanently burned on with the largest stick welder I've seen in my life for $20 or so.

My spring travel is limited by my shocks both up and down. If I had thought it out better I would have gotten longer universal shocks (I couldn't find any OEM shocks longer than the T100 ones) and welded the mounts on a little lower for more flex, although I have plenty. I may still do that next year. To use the extra flex I might have to cut the rear fenders, and it may actually over compress the springs. My set up looks pretty good sitting one 33s, paired up with a front suspension consisting of 4.5" coils, 1.75" blocks, adjustable upper and lower control arms and an adjustable track bar. But it is quite a high step to get into it.

I also use chevy drop shackles in the rear for a bit more lift, giving the truck a bit of a rake I'm okay with. I was not okay with the squat I had when loaded up with camping gear with the stock shackles.

Very informitive and to top it off understandable too. I give it a thumbs up on tha step by step "how to frickin do it scale". LMAO!!! Seriously. Thats great info. Thank you.

I don't see how it really matters what shock mounts you use so long their positioned properly on the axle? All your really after is an anchor point. I'll go to Ruffstuff and see what they have to offer although I don't have a problem with building my own.

If MJ plates will work for a SOA on this 8.25 I'm gittin, it would make fabbing some a little easier if somebody would post a pic and general measurements of one.

Back later.

Thanks again.

Robert

If MJ plates will work for a SOA on this 8.25 I'm gittin, it would make fabbing some a little easier if somebody would post a pic and general measurements of one.

Fabbing what? The shock mount studs on the MJ are not on the axle, they are on the spring plates that the U-bolts go through. Other than mounting perches in the correct location, there is NO fabbing necessary unless you choose to create an unorthodox shock mount system.

If your MJ has a rear axle, you already have everything you need. The spring perches can be cut off the 8.25 axle and re-used in the new location. Either cut off the XJ shock mounts or leave them -- you won't be using them. Buy new U-bolts, because the 8.25 has 3" tubes and the old ones won't fit, plus you should use new ones anyway.

That's all there is to it. It sounds like you are making this a lot more complicated than it really is.

Fabbing what? The shock mount studs on the MJ are not on the axle, they are on the spring plates that the U-bolts go through.

I understand that but I don't have a MJ axle and therefore don't have any MJ spring plates.

The previous owner removed the MJ axle and installed a 35 axle out of a 1988 XJ. For whatever reason tha dumb @$$ didnt keep or use the MJ plates. So yes, I need to fab or purchase a set.

I found a pic of a stock MJ plate. Also found this pic of an aftermarket plate from RockyRoad. http://www.rocky-road.com/comanche.html

Nice lookin plate but weather stock or aftermarket, at least now I know what one looks like.

I understand that but I don't have a MJ axle and therefore don't have any MJ spring plates.

The previous owner removed the MJ axle and installed a 35 axle out of a 1988 XJ. For whatever reason tha dumb @$$ didnt keep or use the MJ plates. So yes, I need to fab or purchase a set.

This is (I think) the first time you have actually mentioned that. I have been continually baffled by all the references to fabbing when you should already have everything you need. Now I understand. (Gotta love previous owners -- NOT.)

I found a pic of a stock MJ plate. Also found this pic of an aftermarket plate from RockyRoad. http://www.rocky-road.com/comanche.html

Nice lookin plate but weather stock or aftermarket, at least now I know what one looks like.

I don't think that aftermarket thing is actually what you need. The caption refers to it as a "slider insert" for the spring plate.

Also, the way they did that is @$$-backward. The spring plate should go on TOP of the spring when doing a SOA conversion, and the U-bolts are all you'd see under the axle. What they did was leave the original perches under the axle, use flat plates on top of the springs, and keep the original spring plates under the axle, on the original perches. It would have been MUCH easier to just swap the stock plates side-for-side, mount them on top of the axle (where they belong) with standard U-bolts, and then the shock length wouldn't have to be changed.

Plus, of course, you wouldn't NEED "slider inserts" for the spring plates under the axle.

So what are your shocks mounted to?

Any chance you could get us a picture of your improperly done rear axle set up?

Tha shocks are mounted to tha stock XJ mounts with the driver side mount relocated to the back side of the axle. Tha previous owner never got around to it so cutting off and relocating that shock mount was tha first thing I did to this truck.

Improperly done is an understatement. Sure I can take some pix but basicly this is what he did. NOTHING!!! He just rolled the XJ axle under tha truck and bolted it in. SOA. Other than hookin up tha drive shaft, brake lines and e/cable, thats it.

But thats OOOOO-K. I aint mad at tha previous owner. I do however think he aughta be shot for tha half @$$ job he did attempting to convert this truck to a 4x4.

Again thats OOOOO-K. I'll set it up correctly with tha 8.25 comanche09 generously offered to me. I'm meeting him to pick it up this evening. Not only did he offer it to me, he has also been kind enough to load up in his Liberty and bring it with him all tha way from AL. to Houston. Now he told me on the phone he was x-military but thats definately going above and beyond tha call of duty.

Thanks Matt. Hopefully I can repay tha favor some day.

Robert

:offtopic: I think I may have found myself a doner vehicle for my trans and t/c. (plus all the other parts it'll have) http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1444349302.html

I've been waiting for tha guy to reply on some questions I ask and finally got this ..............

history on the jeep --- i bought it used back in the mid 90's to pull my hobie onto the beach --- in 2000 i went to california for a job so the jeep was put into the back yard and just started up every once in a while when i came back to texas --- a couple of years ago i had it running in the back yard when it just stopped --- i thought it ran out of gas but it had gas i noticed that the fuel pump wasnt running --- so i suspect the fuel pump ???? --- i removed it but never checked it as i seem to have other priorities/projects and this was low on my list ---

it is an automatic transmission and the tranny and 4x4 were working the last time i took it to the beach which had to be back in the mid 90's ---

i'll make some pics and send later today when i get off work or tomorrow ---- and i'll get the mileage at that time ---

aloha

g

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:dunno: Sounds to me like it aughta be a low mileage vehicle considering it hasnt been driven in nearly 15 years. Hope he does as he says he'll do and sends mileage info and pix. I think its definately worth lookin into.

Not bad.. although if it is in really good shape with really low miles, it'd almost be a shame to junk it. Might be worth your while to fix it, sell it for 4 times you paid for it, buy your tranny and T-case, and be ahead a grand for your time.