My D35 is Growling at me.

You're misunderstanding...

1-2 gives 1st gear, or 2nd when the transmission computer decides it's time to shift at ~4500rpm.

3 gives whatever gear the transmission computer thinks is right, but will never go to 4th/overdrive.

D gives whatever gear the transmission computer thinks is right, up to and including 4th/overdrive.

The gears are 1, 2, 3, OD.

You can, however, run the two wires for the shift solenoids with switches, and shift to whatever gear you want. See this page: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/aw4shiftmod.html - scroll down till you see the table of solenoid and gear info with the sentence "The TCU's outputs are very simple, only three wires" above it.

Pretty sure mine does. Starting out in "3" I git 3 shifts. 1-2, 2-3, and I presume 3-4. Then if I shift up into "D"/OD it shifts again. The 3-4 shift happens almost immediately after the 2-3 shift. Under normal excelleration Its like; 1...........2...............3..4..................

Starting out in 3, you do get three shifts: 1-2, 2-3, then the torque converter locking.

Then if you shift into D, it shifts 3-4 with the torque converter already locked.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're misunderstanding...

1-2 gives 1st gear, or 2nd when the transmission computer decides it's time to shift at ~4500rpm.

3 gives whatever gear the transmission computer thinks is right, but will never go to 4th/overdrive.

D gives whatever gear the transmission computer thinks is right, up to and including 4th/overdrive.

The gears are 1, 2, 3, OD.

You can, however, run the two wires for the shift solenoids with switches, and shift to whatever gear you want. See this page: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/aw4shiftmod.html - scroll down till you see the table of solenoid and gear info with the sentence "The TCU's outputs are very simple, only three wires" above it.

Pretty sure mine does. Starting out in "3" I git 3 shifts. 1-2, 2-3, and I presume 3-4. Then if I shift up into "D"/OD it shifts again. The 3-4 shift happens almost immediately after the 2-3 shift. Under normal excelleration Its like; 1...........2...............3..4..................

Starting out in 3, you do get three shifts: 1-2, 2-3, then the torque converter locking.

Then if you shift into D, it shifts 3-4 with the torque converter already locked.

If thats true then your saying there's no way to tow anything down the highway without the converter being locked. So what about all auto manufacturers warning you not to tow with the converter locked? Claiming it'll build up to much heat and burn up tha trans due to tha lack of fluid circulation through the locked converter.

I have never heard a manufacturer say that. Some do warn not to tow in OD, because it may cause the transmission to keep hunting back and forth between D and OD (3 and 4). That continuously shifting back and forth builds up heat. A locked up torque converter actually creates less heat than an unlocked one. On top of that, the OD gear in some transmissions is not physically strong enough for towing/hauling heavy loads causing the clutches to slip, again building up heat (and burning up the clutches).

I have never heard a manufacturer say that. Some do warn not to tow in OD, because it may cause the transmission to keep hunting back and forth between D and OD (3 and 4). That continuously shifting back and forth builds up heat. A locked up torque converter actually creates less heat than an unlocked one. On top of that, the OD gear in some transmissions is not physically strong enough for towing/hauling heavy loads causing the clutches to slip, again building up heat (and burning up the clutches).

:agree:

Apparently I've been misinformed on how O/D and the converter actually work. I won't go into how I thought it worked :hmm: but will tell you I really appreciate your explanation and setting me straight. :thumbsup:

I didnt git a chance to test drive tha XJ today due to taking my truck up to tha shop where my son works. We finally got tha front end adjusted properly and did tha front end alignment. Using an angle finder on top of the upper ball joint as suggested, I set it at 5*. I was shootin for 6 but figured by tha time everything settles I'll likely gain a degree or so. I'll check it again in a couple of days. We rebalanced all tha tires too. What a difference everything we did today made. I can actually drive down tha highway without being in fear of tha dreaded death wobble or having little old ladies passing me up. :rotf: All tha front end need now is some longer shocks. I think tha ones that came on tha truck when I bought it were intended for a 3-4 inch lift. I have 6.5" lift.

Going to tha lake tomorrow so I'll git back on tha XJ trans issue next week.

Till then, Thanks for yalls help!!!

BTW .... In the end all I'm trying to figure out about this XJ's trans and t/c is if their working well enough to be worth tha trouble of installing them into my MJ. I can't afford a rebuild tight now so If their not I'll sell the XJ as is and buy another trans and t/c for it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, took the XJ out for another test drive, Got on the freeway, went down several exits, made a u-turn and repeated that back and forth about 10 times. Each time I'd make the u-turn I'd be sure to come to a complete stop to insure it was downshifting into first. 1-2 shift seems fine. 2-3 shift seems fine. Beyond that its hard to tell what its doing. I do git one more shift and or drop in rpm's but I can't tell if its converter lock or if its goiing into 4th gear. Thats the last shift or drop in rpm's I git.

Instead of running the gears up to highway speeds I decided to see how it would shift in 4x4 low. Got on a straight pc of road and slowly excellerated. Naturally the shifts come pretty quickly in 4x4 low but I did git 3 shifts. (1-2, 2-3, 3-4) The 3-4 shift comes immediately after the 2-3 shift. When I say immediately I mean it only stays in 3rd for about a second before it shifts into 4th. Tried it several times excellerating at different rates. Each time had about the same results. Knowing I was only getting up to about 25 mph I'm assuming I never reached enough speed to achieve converter lock since its not supposed to lock till you reach 50+ mph.

Considering this thing sat in tha p/o's back yard and wasnt driven on tha streets for about 10 years, there's no telling how long it been since its last trans service. I figure what tha hell. Doing a service on it now, it'll do one of three things. Make it shift better. Stay tha same. Or start slipping.

As it is I'm not sure if I wanna put it in my truck. My only other option is to buy a j/y trans that I'll know nothing about. Although a j/y trans will have at least a 30 day warranty. :hmm:

Maybe I aughta git tha motor running right before I make my decision. Trans will probably act different once its running properly. Still think it has a collapsed lifter or a stuck valve. Gonna pull the valve cover and find out which it is. Hopefully its just a stuck valve and I can free it with a few quick taps of a hammer.