FSJ cherokee axles? My trouble

Ok so the whole story is I got this FSJ cherokee for free from craigslist, my whole thought was D44 front and 50/50 chance being wide trac or narrow trac, so I jumped on it. Dropped the axles and its a wide trac.............so what are my options?

My original plan(if it was a narrow trac) was to pair it with an isuzu rodeo rear dana 44. And I could still do that if I shorten the axle, if you have knowledge on shortening an axle please let me know because the axle is about as wide as the truck now and that will look plain stupid with tires sticking out that far.

Second I wanted to truss the front with a TNT customs waggy truss(same truck should work) but if I shorten it to about the width of a narrow trac anyone think that the truss would have to be modified? I will try confirm this with TNT customs.

And third, if I absolutely have to run the fullwidth axle what rear should I pair it with, I really don't want the AMC20 that came with it.

I would really appreciate some help right now, cuz yeah I'm confused :???: Thanks

I don't know the gears. I could try but I think the only guys who will want them is the yota guys who are doing SAS. I'm in hawaii, so I can't trade or sell like up in the states

Figured as much... I wouldn't be able to imagine finding an MJ down there... I bet its like trying to find a rust free one up here... Doesn't happen often...

Let alone builder parts and old vehicles...

Rob L.

belive it or not they are around, you catch one on the road quite often. Jeep sold alot down here, the hard part for me is finding the waggy, thats why I jumped on this one. I don't regret it I just need to figure out how to build the MJ using those axles.

yeah if i had to keep it I would keep it, but I don't want full width axles

Yeah, but the question you asked in your first post was: "If I keep the full-width front axle, what should I run in the back?"

The answer is obviously the AMC 20 that you already have.

I don't regret it I just need to figure out how to build the MJ using those axles

Not sure abuot the suspension brackets though? Cut weld,cut respline,any thing is posible the guy on EXTREME 4X4 can have it all done in 45minutes!!!????!!!!! :clapping: :ack: :hmm: :shake: Yea Right :D

What to use with a WT FSJ front D44?

Even though they're C-clip axles, I'd try to find a semi-floater 14 bolt with 6 lug axles.

'Heavy Half' half ton Chevy's & SS454's got them, 9.5" ring gears & 33 spline shafts.

In the mean time I'd run the M20.

But honestly, if you're gonna go full width, you might as well ditch the FSJ axles, and go 3/4 ton 8 lug.

More rear options (FF14 bolt, D60, D70, etc), and if you ever come across a D60 front, you're not scrambling to swap the 6 lug rear you have for matching 8 lug.

As far as what to do for flares?

Cut those FSJ flares off the Wide Wheel Cherokee, and put them on the MJ. :brows:

I bet they'd look awesome. :banana: :thumbsup:

if the amc 20 was like the one in my old 77cj5 and 79 cj7 then i'm not impressed with them.the stupid 2-piece axle is junk.i replaced them with moser 1-piece axles and then the next weak link was spider gears and center pins.they might be fine for everyday driving but they have weak links for serious off roading.

if the amc 20 was like the one in my old 77cj5 and 79 cj7

It isn't the same. End of discussion.

The Model 20 used in the MJ had one-piece axles.

The FSJ's AMC20 also used 1 peice axles. And why would you buy an FSJ for axles if you didnt want to go full width? I myself think it would look really cool to have the full width axles under it. It won't be worth the money if you narrow the existing axles. Youd be better off selling what you got and buying something different that is the right width to begin with.

Good to know. I was thinking the same thing. I replaced those 2 piece CJ axles about once a month for awhile back then. Finally sold that CJ for that very reason. :clapping:

The FSJ's AMC20 also used 1 peice axles. And why would you buy an FSJ for axles if you didnt want to go full width? I myself think it would look really cool to have the full width axles under it. It won't be worth the money if you narrow the existing axles. Youd be better off selling what you got and buying something different that is the right width to begin with.

I wanted a FSJ narrow trac, kinda hard to come by down here in hawaii. So I took the chance. Full width on my MJ would look weird first of all, and they would be a cop magnet! Theres yotas down here with tires sticking out 1' from the truck rolling with like 15" deep rims and they make us look bad. Because of that whole "crab" look as they like to say the people who don't like 4x4 and big trucks(damn hippies) are making a big deal out of that saying its hazardous to their safety on the road. That whole discussion has put any 4x4 that is lifted with tires sticking out of the flares in the cross hairs of the cops, when I go to get my safety check even now they question if I have a lift or the my tires might be to big( my truck hasnt changed since my sig pic).

So far narrowing the axle doesnt look that difficult, but thats just me.

Here's my waggy 44 paired with a 9" ford out of a 79 bronco, my tires are hella wide 35x15.5 swamper sx, if I had my flares on and 10.50 wide tires they would very similar to pete's profile (I think) and yes I converted the waggy axle to 5 on 5.5 :clapping:

Image Not Found

The "full width" axles on the FS Cherokees were actually an option -- it was the "wide wheel" option, available only on the 2-door Cherokees. 4-door Cherokees, Wagoneers, and all Grand Wagoneers got the standard width. The difference isn't all that much. Back in the day, my brother had a '78 with the wide wheel option and I bought a used 4-door that didn't have it. My front fenders were totally history and I found I could get replacements with the flares for the pickup and wide wheel for the same price as the standard fenders, so I did. With 31" tires on, if mine was parked next to my brother's you really had to look to see the difference. It was maybe an inch on each side?

I was thinking about it and the axle isnt that much wider than the D30. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the D30 is about 60" wms to wms and the wide trac 44 is 65" wms to wms. So 2.5" wider on each side IF it was centered under the jeep which isnt bad. Sounds good on paper, I don't think it works that way.

How did you mount it? What bracket kit did you use?

I was thinking about going with the TNT truss. Then I called them and they said it was for the narrow trac, they said there would be space between the truss and the C's. And IF I really wanted to narrow the axle I could use the truss as a guide for my measurements, and help strengthen the axle a bit.