Round Two

KYMJ

Picked this up today for $500. No rust, strong motor, usual clearcoat issues. Front end damage, drivers side. 2wd. Planning for daily driving, and donor motor if the other Comanche lays down on me. Gotta get to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Some before pics finally. Didn't get one of the front before I tore into it. I used the tailgate to experiment with the clearcoat problem, because I found a perfect one to replace it with, but I've actually got it looking pretty good. I've got a few places on the body looking good. Using a time consuming method, can't believe I 'm doing it, but since the paint sucks, and I have little money in this thing, what the heck. Found a better bumper to replace the one in pic for $35, will be painting it today at work. Gutted the interior, steam clened the carpet and seat, installed new speakers, got the interior lights working, got it looking pretty satisfactory. Wife hates the truck, she has no vision, I keep telling her, wait until I'm done. I just did one and she still has no faith. No payment, cheap insurance, and I'm having fun, she needs to get over it. Actually the pics make it look worse than it is.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It's coming along KYMJ jamminz.gif

Your wife has no Vision? you poor, poor man :shake:

People look at my rotted out boxes, and I tell them the same thing, No coupon (Payment) book with this one ;)

Are you going to sand down the whole truck and repaint, or just do spots??

My body repairs, painting are a few weeks away, got to get the '88 plow ready frist, then one or the other body shop time.

I would like the find a rear bumper for $35, best I can find are the after market steps for $129 :cry:

Your MJ sure looks rust free, still a good find and deal :thumbsup:

Just a little surface rust under the carpet just like my other one. Sanded it down and painted it. Just going to do a little spot repair. I'm removing the "white stuff" and re-clearcoating. May not be the hot fix, but what have I got to lose? Not going to do any major(expensive) work. Don't care if it looks perfect, just acceptable. Also, got a reciever hitch with the bumper, putting it on the 4x4 for recovery, the kids that pulled it said it went with bumper, I didn't argue.

Well, this may sound stupid, but it seems to be working. Please understand that this may backfire, but like I've said, I have little to lose. The old clearcoat flakes off, so I'm helping it by shaving it off with a razorblade, being careful with the basecoat. Then I'm buffing the paint, to even up the basecoat, them removing all wax, contaminants with prepsolve, then spraying clearcoat(rattlecan). It's looking pretty good, some places you can't even tell. Hey, it's a $500 truck. Just time consuming. I'm pleased with the results so far. One good thing, the top and hood were repainted at some time, I just need to buff them out.

KYMJ - I don't think it sounds stupid, seam like I read / heard about that before, that's how the pro's take paint runs off, with the razor blade.

If you haven't check out this site yet, great tips and info from the pro's

http://www.autobodystore.com

You can get lost for hours in the forum........aah, I know I can :D

I bought his Spray Painting 101 DVD, it's a little slow, But great tips from some one whos been painting for 30 years.

But the forum has alot of pro's answering all types of questions, and for me, this just fills in blanks on what other info I know.

I can see where it taking alot of time, but then again, your not having to do a complete re-paint, and that's time saved.

:popcorn: Will be wating for the updates :waving:

And great deal on the rear bumper, with the hitch, Yea, don't question the man with the parts. :brows:

nice nice, i love blue jeeps, and turbine wheels.

wives/moms/girlfriends seldom have much vision when it comes to jeeps.... the kitchen however is a different story.

my ex-girlfriend tried to steal my unplated 'manche off the jackstands with her dad's Dodge Ram Cummins... :D

She really loved it, unfortunately she hated me in the deal :P

I don't know about being funny. About 10 years ago when I was still married I gave in to my wife and scrapped 2 CJ-5's and a 72 Comando because she didn't like them. She too is now long gone thank god. No woman will ever come between me and my Jeep (or Jeeps) again. :headpop: 8)

Well, this may sound stupid, but it seems to be working. Please understand that this may backfire, but like I've said, I have little to lose. The old clearcoat flakes off, so I'm helping it by shaving it off with a razorblade, being careful with the basecoat. Then I'm buffing the paint, to even up the basecoat, them removing all wax, contaminants with prepsolve, then spraying clearcoat(rattlecan). It's looking pretty good, some places you can't even tell. Hey, it's a $500 truck. Just time consuming. I'm pleased with the results so far. One good thing, the top and hood were repainted at some time, I just need to buff them out.

Talking to some-booday recently, they said that they had a similar problem. They used a scotch-brite (or however you spell that) pad on it, and it came off....

Didn't try that. But did try sanding. Got down to the paint before the flakes came off, go figure. I'm done now, got all that I could get. Got one side clearcoated. I'm gonna finish wet sanding with 1500 and clearcoat the other side. Not sure whats it's going to look like in the sun, has to be better than it was.

Update. Drove it to work for the first time. My little clear coat experiment didn't work to my satisfaction, so I'm doing a little spot painting. Did the tailgate and driver's door yesterday at work. Tailgat was really bad, bought another, but I won't use it now. I'll do a little bit each day at work. A few other issues cropped up, blower motor works on low only, wipers don't park, mainly minor things.. Brakes stink on this one also, Bench seat no where as comfy as buckets. Got to put this one on the back burner to lift the other one 3 inches.

Passenger side looks a little better than it did.

Sounds like there's a story there...

I agree. 8)

A really funny one at that. I think she might have been :nuts: but i want to here the story now.

Cole

Here's the story

I bought my '89 on July 25th. she instantly fell in love with it. Both her and i figured that it would be our project... well, we hit rocks and she made me hit the road. She wouldn't leave my MJ, but gladly leave me. So one evening while I was o my way home from work, I biked down my road to see a big blue Dodge Ram, her dad's. With tow chains and a front-end dolly... attached to my goddamn truck. which has no insurance, no plates and no floor. That was an arguement and a half. She leftafter I threatened cops.. 2 days later, my baby was egged.

Here's the story

I bought my '89 on July 25th. she instantly fell in love with it. Both her and i figured that it would be our project... well, we hit rocks and she made me hit the road. She wouldn't leave my MJ, but gladly leave me. So one evening while I was o my way home from work, I biked down my road to see a big blue Dodge Ram, her dad's. With tow chains and a front-end dolly... attached to my goddamn truck. which has no insurance, no plates and no floor. That was an arguement and a half. She leftafter I threatened cops.. 2 days later, my baby was egged.

Man that's not kewl at all. Hope you guys got it worked out by now (for the MJ's sake). 8)

Here's the story

Man that's not kewl at all. Hope you guys got it worked out by now (for the MJ's sake). 8)

is she paying child support?