dana 44

hey there,

I'm looking to do a dana 44 axle swap in the near future,

my friend has 2 Dana 44 axles he says he will sell me,

what would be a good price for them?

they Dana 44's year is 93

I'm going to try to snag them for about $150 since he doesnt need them any more,

what do you guys think?

would that be a steal of a deal if i could get them for that price?

93?

So it is not out of a Cherokee?

:agree:

As Ronald Regan said, "Trust ... but verify."

Dana 44s were mostly found in the Cherokee in 1987, with fewer used in 1988. It's unlikely to find any beyond 1988, and certainly not out of a '93. And TWO of them?

Uhn uhn.

It's unlikely to find any beyond 1988, and certainly not out of a '93.

The Grand Cherokee (ZJ) had the Dana 44a model (alumn. center section) in the towing package equipped ZJ's up to '95. Also all the V8 equipped ZJ's also had the D44a.

Maybe they are mistaking the ZJ for the XJ? As it seems nobody anymore knows the difference between a "normal" Cherokee and a "grand" Cherokee... :roll:

If it's the D44a, they are junk and are only worth their weight in scrap alum.

This is very untrue, and I had believed this until I did some research. The "True" name for the ZJ D44 is not D44A, but really D44HD or heavy duty. While the aluminum case is still a crutch, it does not share much with the reg D44. The pinion shaft is almost interchangable with a D60, and it actually uses D60 pinion seals and yokes. The ring gear is massive, as well as the carrier to match. It uses 30 spline axles, and they retain a C-clip, but have disk brakes from factory... Any and all problems confronted with the aluminum case can be helped with trussing, or BTF makes a cover/truss kit that bolts on. I recently spoke with guys running 4.88's, aussies, and 35's with their D44HD and couldn't be happier. There are also more rare versions of the D44HD, that use a cast steel case to boot, and compliment the D60 like internals... The proper name for that behemoth is the "Super D44HD"

Rant over. soapbox.gif

Rob L. :rant:

This is very untrue, and I had believed this until I did some research. The "True" name for the ZJ D44 is not D44A, but really D44HD or heavy duty. While the aluminum case is still a crutch, it does not share much with the reg D44. The pinion shaft is almost interchangable with a D60, and it actually uses D60 pinion seals and yokes. The ring gear is massive, as well as the carrier to match. It uses 30 spline axles, and they retain a C-clip, but have disk brakes from factory... Any and all problems confronted with the aluminum case can be helped with trussing, or BTF makes a cover/truss kit that bolts on. I recently spoke with guys running 4.88's, aussies, and 35's with their D44HD and couldn't be happier. There are also more rare versions of the D44HD, that use a cast steel case to boot, and compliment the D60 like internals... The proper name for that behemoth is the "Super D44HD"

Rant over. soapbox.gif

Rob L. :rant:

It is the Dana 35 of Dana 44s ;)

I know a buddy who has a ZJ with one of them dang d44a's. He has the 5.9 zj, and wheels of 35's with no issues. Not saying that this is the strongest axle.. just saying it works. If the gear ratio matched a rig I had, I would run it, but like pointed out.. Build a stout truss, that incorparates the punkin using the diff cover and call it good. I mean what do you have to loose.

from a 93 dodge w100,

with a 3.55 gear ratio

What are you trying to do? Find stronger axles that will be easy to swap under an MJ? If so these are not what you are looking for. The front axle in a '93 Dodge has the differential on the passenger side. This will require swapping your transfer case too. It is also set up for leaf springs. You would need to cut/fabricate/buy all of the front suspension brackets and weld them to the Dodge axle. The rear axle also will not bolt in, but if you can handle the front the rear will be easy.

Willy

new question,

can a AX-15 support a D-44?

Do you realize an AX-15 is a transmission and a D-44 is an axle and your question makes no sense?

i was wondering if i had to upgrade to an ax-30 transmission for the dana 44 axle?

Where are you getting this information? :hmm: Time to find a new source.

Willy