coolant bottle

DO NOT BUY A USED ONE!

That bottle is part of the pressurized cooling system. If you find a used one, it'll be 20 years old and the plastic will have long since given up most of the plasticizers. Either spring for the top-shelf aluminum replacements, or buy a direct replacement from NAPA or Quadratech. Getting one from a junkyard is wasting money.

I got mine off Ebay for $27 including shipping. At the time it never occurred to me NAPA might have them...

Bottle cracked just before crossing the Canadian border; coasted into a hotel parking lot where I refilled the cooling system after it had boiled dry, drove the last 90minutes to my parents' house. Ordered a new bottle while in Canada for the holidays, limped it home 350 miles, carrying 3 buckets of extra water in the bed, and the new bottle was waiting for me on the back porch :D

87-90 xj's and mj's used that bottle. I have bought used ones from the pick and pull, most of them have been replaced over the years. I'm cheap though. The dealer will stock them too, part #'s are 4720363 for the bottle, and the cap is 52006707. 15 yrs in a jeep dealer parts dept, been away 2 1/2 years, and still remember some of the part #'s. I sold a ton of those bottles when I was there.

i went through about 3 new bottles in my mj.the original bottle lasted 12 years.i was working at a mopar dealership then so i got a new one and it lasted 7 years and broke.i got another new mopar one and it only lasted 2 years.i finally changed over to a newer style cherokee radiator last year and haven't looked back.

i finally changed over to a newer style cherokee radiator last year and haven't looked back.

+1

And you can do it pretty cheaply too. I removed the stupid heater core valve, plugged the vacuum line and plumbed direct with 5/8 hose. Really cleaned up the passenger side of the engine compartment. :thumbsup:

The coolant bottle from almost any mid-90's mid-sized Mopar will fit....and they have a real radiator cap instead of the leaky screw-on original. they have a different shape and you have to remove the bracket that the OEM bottle mounts on and drill 2 holes in your firewall shelf to make them fit, but they are made of extremely heavy nylon and are much sturdier.