Fixed timing! It starts and drives! Still leaks oil.

Yeah it's the same motor.

I could maybe see the EGR being a problem... if it started and then died right away. But it just cranks and cranks, just doesn't wanna kick and go.

I believe I've eliminated everything but the timing. I must've screwed something up.

I'm stealing my mom's extra car to get back down to MO to pick up the GF and kiddo, I'll have to deal with this again when I get back. :fs1:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any way that the engine got turned over while the chain was off? How did you line up the marks on the gears? If you think that it is 180 off and just want to check, don't pull the dist, just jump all the wires directly across from each other. Easy to put back if that isn't it.

The best way to check for being off a tooth is to use an old dist cap and cut a window in it at the #1 terminal (on the side). With the #1 cyl at TDC, the tail of the rotor terminal should line up with the #1 terminal.

You say you have spark and fuel. Seems like a timing issue, OR, if the engine got turned over by hand a few times, I have seen lifters bleed down enough to not fully open up the valves to get a motor to fire. Try pulling all the plugs, and using a good boost charger, or a good jump box, crank it over for a few minutes, in 15 or 20 second bursts, to try and build up oil pressure and get the lifters pumped back up. Worth a shot and only cost is time.

Flipping the wires wouldn't work. If the timing was 180 off, all that would do is cause it to spark when the exhaust valve is closing and the intake is opening. Definitely wouldn't run then.

I'll try lobbing the ear off the old dist cap and seeing how much it lines up. That's a pretty good idea, I hadn't thought of trying that. Again, I'm leaving in the morning so this will all have to wait until I get back. Dunno when that will be.

Then forget about the wires if you are sure. Usually off a tooth it will still fire. Don't pass off the bleed down lifters though. I have experienced it more than once. If the VC is still off, watch the amount that the valves move when you crank it.

Spark is spark. "weak" or not... :hmm: I would guess that its so weak cause the battery is about dead and thats all she has to work with.

I'm thinking your problems lie elsewhere. Were all of the connectors clean when you pushed them back together. Lots of grease and dirt in your car-port to get in them and "open" a connection...

Have you tried pouring gas in the TB and then trying to start it yet? Things like this eliminate functions that the engine is supposed to do and if you can get it to at least fire by doing this then you can track whatever it is down easier.

Spark is spark. "weak" or not... :hmm: I would guess that its so weak cause the battery is about dead and thats all she has to work with.

I'm thinking your problems lie elsewhere. Were all of the connectors clean when you pushed them back together. Lots of grease and dirt in your car-port to get in them and "open" a connection...

Have you tried pouring gas in the TB and then trying to start it yet? Things like this eliminate functions that the engine is supposed to do and if you can get it to at least fire by doing this then you can track whatever it is down easier.

See thats what I thought, but I proved myself wrong. If you have a renix buddy nearby I'd see if you could "borrow" his coil. If anything it rules out a simple explanation.

Definately try pouring fuel down the intake, itll rule out fuel issues. Although by the sound of it, youve got fuel.

Anyway good luck

ya, you can have a spark thats too weak to actually fire the engine. a white/blue spark is nice and strong, a yellow spark is on the weak side. or there's a super cheap spark tester that has an adjustable gap and you put it on the wire, set the gap and you can see the spark jump, if it jumps at a smaller gap but not in spec, then the spark could be too weak.

it comes with a little spec sheet usually for different vehicles. the gap on the tool is usually anywhere from zero to a little over an inch, its not like trying to look at a spark plug.

If you have a renix buddy nearby I'd see if you could "borrow" his coil. If anything it rules out a simple explanation.

He's already on top of this one. Got ahold of me last night to do just that. I'm looking at heading over his way sometime this weekend to try my hand at it while he is out of town.

If you have a renix buddy nearby I'd see if you could "borrow" his coil. If anything it rules out a simple explanation.

He's already on top of this one. Got ahold of me last night to do just that. I'm looking at heading over his way sometime this weekend to try my hand at it while he is out of town.

Cool, let us know what happens :thumbsup:

you may want to try pulling a plug, its probabally dripping in fuel and there for won't start. it may not be your problem, but it may be. and either way, wet plugs won't fire. you can get the plugs glowing red with a propape or map-gas torch that will work fine as long as you burn alll the fuel out of them. i can't remember if the harmonic has a timing mark on it?? your plug wires arent all criss-crossed are they? if they are get them far apart from eachother.

Here is my update: He left and didn't leave me the key. :dunno:

Yeah, I know, I'm brilliant. :nuts:

We'll just have to check it when I get back. I'll also try lobbing off one ear of the old dist cap to check the timing. I'm sure if I get one of those little LED worm flashlights I'll be able to make sure the piston is at TDC.

Just got home an hour ago. Won't really be able to tackle it tomorrow.. something else rather important has come up. Friday I'll jump into it, and I'm really hoping it's something stupid that I somehow overlooked.

Brent... if it's not magically running by Sat, could I get you to run out with one of yours so we can sit them side by side and see what I didn't do right?

Try checking the wires in the harness that comes out around the middle of the firewall. I just got mine running after many many hours (you have read the post) its was where several grounds come together in that harness near the rear of the engine. This must have happened when I pulled the harness up out of the way I stuffed it under the wiper to hold it up. Good luck hope yours is up and running soon also.