Turning radius SWB vs. LWB

bigalpha

Think about it for a minute. The distance between the front and rear tires is further on the LWB as opposed to the SWB or the XJ, thus making the radius to complete a complete circle that much greater. The SWB will also have a greater turning radius than the XJ because the wheelbase is longer. Even if you could theoretically keep the rear wheel in the exact same place during a turn, the diameter of the circle you are turning would be wider in order of vehicle.

turning_radius.jpg

According to the ConsumerGuide buying guide for 89:

Turning Diameters...

MJ-SB 38.9'

MJ-LB 41.3'

XJ 35.7'

So my lame attempt at a diagram wasn't too far off??? :cheers: :yes:

Well, it depends.

The LWB has a 15% wider turning radius than an XJ.

The SWB has a 9% wider turning radius than an XJ.

The LWB has a 6% wider turning radius than an SWB.

According to your diagram (roughly)

The LWB has a 90% wider turning radius than an XJ.

The SWB has a 60% wider turning radius than an XJ.

The LWB has a 20% wider turning radius than an SWB.

At least, that's if I've done my math right.

Well, it depends.

touche`

Well, it depends.

touche`

I'm sometimes a little :nuts:

:cheers:

Another reason why all XJs and MJs have a rather wide turning radius relative to their wheelbase is because of the internal stops built into their stock OEM Saginaw steering gear boxes. The box is limited by these stops to an 80 degree pitman arm arc stop-to-stop. When I swapped in a 96 ZJ steering gear box that has an 87 degree pitman arc, plus a quicker turning ratio (12.7:1 vs. 14.1:1 on the old box), I also got a much tighter turning radius. And did not have to touch the axle stop nuts. Any mid 92 - 98 ZJ box will bolt into the MJ, and it's a super upgrade and highly recommended, especially if your stock box needs to be replaced. :D

Another reason why all XJs and MJs have a rather wide turning radius relative to their wheelbase is because of the internal stops built into their stock OEM Saginaw steering gear boxes. The box is limited by these stops to an 80 degree pitman arm arc stop-to-stop. When I swapped in a 96 ZJ steering gear box that has an 87 degree pitman arc, plus a quicker turning ratio (12.7:1 vs. 14.1:1 on the old box), I also got a much tighter turning radius. And did not have to touch the axle stop nuts. Any mid 92 - 98 ZJ box will bolt into the MJ, and it's a super upgrade and highly recommended, especially if your stock box needs to be replaced. :D

WHich I have one for sale and thinking perhaps I need to keep it? hummm :hmm:

Yeah, keep it Mini. They are getting very popular with the old GM muscle car crowd. :D

sounds good, I was going to hydro assist set up but told not at this time need I worry about it, so was thinking the box which I ran with my last 37's i should keep. and well you talked me into it. :yes:

:???:

Both my MJ and XJ hit the steering stops on the axle long before I hit the end of the steering box. And the D30 can actually steer quite tight.

As usual, Hornbord has posted a great, factual post.

Only, (I think) two ways to tighten the turning radius. Shorten the wheel base or move the steering wheels into a tighter lock position.

Not talking about a 4 wheel steering Moon Buggy built by NASA that could turn INSIDE its own wheel base.

I will add that to my future upgrade lists. Then I can turn the truck around in the street without backing up.

JJ

91 Long Bed Comanche, Base truck with Big Ton package, all heavy duty options from the factory! Original, Southern California Truck with no rust!!