I was going to attempt the "easier" version of the fix suggested by Bounty Hunter earlier in the thread where you slide the collar over and install the cover upside down so that the fork holds the collar in place instead of the little c-clip. Either way seems easy enough, just not sure what the wires do. I guess I'm nervous that the clip may not be strong enough to hold the collar in place semi-permanently.

On 8/22/2012 at 9:45 AM, Pete M said:

no. 4wd is still controlled by your t-case lever. :thumbsup: this mod simply makes your 2-piece axle shaft into a 1 piece axle shaft. The CAD was a well-meaning attempt by Jeep to try and gain MPGs and reduce wear. Too bad it does neither and just causes headaches for owners. :shake: all Jeeps after the early 90s have a one-piece axle shaft (with the 95 YJ being the last one).

Thank you Pete, just clicked in my brain :drool:

I just did this fix on my 88, and at first I was having some vibrations at 60 mph or more and now I'm getting them significantly at 30 to 35, is this ujoints?

most likely.  :L:  the ones in the driveshaft are probably originals.  try grabbing the driveshaft and checking for play. 

60mph vibs are usually tires.  you can rotate them to see if anything changes.

I know I need tires, but these vibrations are new as of the cad fix. The ujoints are pretty bad shape from just looking at them. I just concerned it's either the tcase or diff. That would be a great way to top off my bad luck lately.