My Official Project

OK

Many of you have seen my 87MJ with 50K on it in a few of the photos that I have posted here. Great little MJ.

I am about to embark upon a little project to make this thing a very compitent close to stock on a very tight budget. Project Budget is $1000.

How to build a good wheeler for $1000.

Purchase Price for 1987 MJ with 52,000 origional miles $1400

Several Stages to this project

Stage 1

Overheating Problem

Radiator Hotline GDI Style Copper Aluminum 3Row $139 shipped

Misc Junk Yard Pieces for Open Rad Conversion $5

New Water Pump (from my parts stash)

New Thermostat (from my parts stash)

New Lower Rad Hose $14

Heater Hoses to replace junctions to old overflow. $8

Total for this part $166

Stage #2

Suspension Upgrade

New Rough Country 2" Kit with new coils rear AAL and shocks $127 shipped.

New Rough Country Steering Stabilizer $28 shipped

New Factory Style OEM Track Bar in drilled out axle hole $58

Total for this part $213

Stage #3

Front Axle Problem (brackets on axle are rotten)

Replacement HPD30 with no disco (free from my parts stash)

4.10 gears and OX cable Locker for D30 (Need price info)

Gear and locker install fee $150 from local guy

Vocational Technical School will install axle for me to save my back

Total for this part $150 plus gears and locker

Stage #3.5

Ford Explorer 8.8 to match the D30 front with 4.10 gears and disc brakes

Complete for $250

Perches $19

Welding of perches and axle install $40

Bracket for Flange Mount Yoke $30

E-brake Cable Kit $59

Total for this part $389

Stage #4

Armor

ARB BULL BAR (bought hardly used for $200 a while back NOT INCLUDED IN BUDGET)

MJ Factory Tank Skid (Need one badly for LWB MJ anyone??)

Fabbed T-Case Skid (Skid Row Copy) $50 worth of metal

New Rear Bumper with intergrated hitch reciever $100 at local fab shop.

Total for this stage $150

$1068 plus the Ox and gears is not bad for this project.

If everything works out as planned I will be running 31x10.50 BFGMTKM's on Wrangler Gamblers with out trimming. If that does not work out I may be running some re-tread 30" tires.

I will be picking up the 8.8 and the other stuff in the next few days.

Hope to have a real good near stocker when I am finished.

Aaron

The OX and the gears are gonna be pricey...

Full spool, or weld, then use the vac disco on a cable to engage/disengage. I'd just get a 4cyl housing out of the jyard. If I pull, it's $75. If they pull, it's $150. Both is less than a set of gears.

And I'd build the budget boost. Coil isolators stacked (free - $10) and bastard leaf packs (free - $40) and don't even worry about the shocks, unless you really work at making it articulate they won't max out.

The OX and the gears are gonna be pricey...

Full spool, or weld, then use the vac disco on a cable to engage/disengage. I'd just get a 4cyl housing out of the jyard. If I pull, it's $75. If they pull, it's $150. Both is less than a set of gears.

And I'd build the budget boost. Coil isolators stacked (free - $10) and bastard leaf packs (free - $40) and don't even worry about the shocks, unless you really work at making it articulate they won't max out.

I appreciate the el-cheapo fab of welding gears etc but to find a 4.10 gear D30 from a 4cyl XJ is difficult. I will need to invest more in brakes and calipers and other stuff on that axle and if it has been sitting in the yard for a long time it is probably junk.

I hope to score the OX on a discount through the company here as this vehicle will probably get a graphics package to advertise for the company.

The idea here was to replace suspension components with HD ones and stay close to stock, with armor, and beefed up axles and at least a front locker.

I still want to be able to drive this jeep at 80MPH on the highway after we are done.

New shocks came with the RC 2" kit for $100 plus shipping. I can't beat that price for AAL, COILS, 4 SHOCKS and STAB anywhere.

Odd. Even I know of two right now. Just swap brake parts from your current axle. All it takes is a slight bit of pre-purchasing inspection to determine if all the seals are correct.

And with the D30, the shafts are weaker than the carrier. Well, I'll admit I've seen the stock carriers fail. I've also seen them make R&P's go kablooy on stock shafts.

Oh, and RC suspension components are NOT HD. Unless you're going to get new CA's and a 'proper' new track bar and blah blah blah. Oh, the stock coils with spacers will articulate just as well as the RC ones.

But, you want to do it your way. Go right ahead.

And my XJ with a BL (bastard lift) will do fine on the highway. Even though it has no sway bars and the TRE's got shot and the tires are out of balance...

Odd. Even I know of two right now. Just swap brake parts from your current axle. All it takes is a slight bit of pre-purchasing inspection to determine if all the seals are correct.

And with the D30, the shafts are weaker than the carrier. Well, I'll admit I've seen the stock carriers fail. I've also seen them make R&P's go kablooy on stock shafts.

Oh, and RC suspension components are NOT HD. Unless you're going to get new CA's and a 'proper' new track bar and blah blah blah. Oh, the stock coils with spacers will articulate just as well as the RC ones.

But, you want to do it your way. Go right ahead.

And my XJ with a BL (bastard lift) will do fine on the highway. Even though it has no sway bars and the TRE's got shot and the tires are out of balance...

I don't think that you read the origional post properly.

I am building a slightly better than stock MJ. I am not trying to build a rig to run 35" tires. If you are snapping stock D30 axle shafts with 31" tires and a locker then you need to learn how to drive within the limits of your vehicle a little bit better. I had the same D30 in the front of my 1995 XJ for 6 years, OX Locker, 110K miles, with 31 and 33 inch tires and never has a bit of problems with joints, axles, or anything. That was with a manual and 3.55 gears (I swaped in automatic XJ axle right after I got it to re-gear the thing)

I never said the Rough Country parts were some kind of miracle heavy duty parts. They are better than my broken stock passengers side coil, and the AAL will boost my rear leafs just a little bit and the new coils in the front will be better than what I am driving on right now plus off set the weight of the ARB, eventually a winch, the skids, and the other extra stuff will eventually be in the Jeep.

My bone stock 1996 5 Speed XJ with D30 OX and factory trash loc on 235's will go more places than 90% of peoples lifted money pits that have open diffs. Sure it won't rock crawl the big lines on the Rubicon, but I have been driving 4x4's for 12 years now and I have not been to Cali in a Jeep yet.

I could yank you a 4.10 D30 outta the 'yard down here, or I'll sell you the one that's currently under my MJ as soon as I swap it out (within the next month or so). It came out of the 'yard, as well as the one I'm swapping in with 4.56's.

Fear not the junkyard...it is your friend :D

$125 either way.....cheaper than regearing.

Jeff

On 31's you couldnt make it through some of the parking areas where I wheel :brows:

And you live where?

I don't live in Cali or Moab or what ever.

I can go anyplace that I want to with lockers and 31's... hell I could probably go anyplace that I want to with lockers and 235's

I could yank you a 4.10 D30 outta the 'yard down here, or I'll sell you the one that's currently under my MJ as soon as I swap it out (within the next month or so). It came out of the 'yard, as well as the one I'm swapping in with 4.56's.

Fear not the junkyard...it is your friend :D

$125 either way.....cheaper than regearing.

Jeff

If I could come up with a lower mileage unit that was of the non disco type without the hole in the axle tube for the vacume disco I would be interested in a D30 for XJ/MJ for a price close to $125 plus some kind of labor fee for pulling it??

I yanked both front and rear 4:10 axles out of donor XJs. I found a yard that had 3 XJs with 4:10s, so I was able to pick and choose. I used my old brakes. Took a long time, but I got solid 4:10s front and rear for $250. That was 6 years ago. No problems yet.

On 31's you couldnt make it through some of the parking areas where I wheel :brows:

And you live where?

Actually, he lives in VA. :teehee:

:rotfl2: :laughin: :jump: :smart: :thumbsup:

and beefed up axles

I read this and assumed that you were trashing welding a stock carrier because of that. I was just saying that an OX wasn't really going to make that axle any stronger...

For the record, I think you're a tool.

I am confused here.

Old rusty missing a spring bucket Disco D30 if welded is some how stronger than a newer replacement D30 with 4.10 gears and OX Locker.

I am running 31" tires here. 1 measly inch larger than stock TJ with LP D30 on 30" tire and wheel package. Hell with my current axle I can't drive over 55 MPH or I get DW.

I drove on welded carriers and disco axle in my old 1989 for 4 years in college. When I wated to use 4x4 to drive 55-75 MPH on remote snow covered interstate I could not because the front was welded. It sucked driving 35MPH on vacant highways like I79 and I68 when you had 200 miles to go some times. So I got rid of the welded axle and went back to open and welded rear and I learned how to wheel with 2.5 wheel drive.

My goal here is simple.

Be able to drive 80-85 MPH on dry pavement, 65-70 on Snow Covered Highway, and when I get to the trail or where ever, have the capability to get up and over most obstacles that will ever be in my way.

And you live where?

Where in Virginia is it necessary to have a tire larger than 31" to go wheeling??

Stock Rubicon can drive anyplace in Virginia with lockers and 31" tire.s

i think for the front axle the whole vacuum disconnect thign could play as an advantage for you. if you put in a posi-lock kit for it (uses a cable to insure lock instead of the stock vacuum) for mabye 100something, then weld the carrier you can drive it and they will still act as if the diff is open as long as you don't engage the axle you shouldnt even be able to tell right?

just my .02

And you live where?

Where in Virginia is it necessary to have a tire larger than 31" to go wheeling??

Stock Rubicon can drive anyplace in Virginia with lockers and 31" tire.s

lets play follow the leader then :driving:

This video is before we installed a rear lincoln locker

http://www.zippyvideos.com/597962500224 ... body_shop/

This is after

http://www.zippyvideos.com/798168346272 ... _2nd_time/

Still think a stock rubi can go anywhere

So are you ready to follow me in yourt LJ rubi :nanner:

Sure will.... As soon as I hit are the POWERBALL Jackpot and go pay cash for another one... In the mean time the 95 XJ that I have been driving and wheeling for the past 5 years will have to do.

While I appreciate the challenge of driving up and over such obstacles as what is in that photo, I am more interested in using my vehicle to get further into places where I hike, camp, hunt, fish, paddle, etc vs using it as a recreational toy to drive over pointless obstacles. I am not taking anything away from anyone who can build a vehicle to do that, I sure can, and when I was in college I drove up and over everything while learning, but the simple fact of the matter is that I don't have a desire to do that any more. It is sorta pointless unless you are on the Rubicon Trail or something like that. All these ORV parks, what is the point?? Where are you going except in a circle in kinda the attitude that I have now. I am not sure why...

So that is why I just want to build an MJ that is capable of handling the things that I am going to throw at it.