tmans mj and xj projects...

hey guys. just picked up a 89 comanche 4.0 auto short bed. its got the 35 in the rear but that will be gone soon. also has about a 3-4 inch lift. on the way home from buying it, it had a massive death wobble, and for some reason the power steering res. cap flew off so i had to have it towed home. now I'm looking for the reason for the dw. ive been wanting one of these for awhile now,ive had 2 xj's, and will be updating and posting pics of my progress with it. thinkin about setting up a meet at hollister hills offroad park in the somewhat near future. nice to meet you all. :wavey:

Image Not Found

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Welcome.... you are sort of local...I'm up in Scotts Valley and go down to Hollister a few times a year... I've never taken the MJ, but have a TJ that I usually take and go with some of the dudes in the Santa Cruz 4WD club...

Good to see another Nor/CenCal guy on here...

My MJ has some probs right now, so don't think a trip to Hollister Hills is in my near term plans, but maybe we could hook up down there sometime...

Wade

:rock on: sweet rims.nice truck. what rear end you going with ? ford 8.8 or Dana 44-60 . :waving:

depends on what i find first and price, plus i want discs in the rear.

do you work at jwjeep or just a fan? my buddy troy works there.

just a huge fan. :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...
Could just be the pic, but looks like there is a lot of negative camber on the front axle. (tilted in)

Rob L. :dunno:

i saw that too. in person you can't really see it, it going in for an alignment once i get my tracbar in so we'll see then.

Gotcha. I don't believe there is a fix for camber on MJ's, unless you put in offset ball joints.

Rob L.

fixed the no start problem, got my hands on an alldata printout of the starter sytem wiring schemaitc, a couple wires were running against a sharp egde and were grounding out plus i had put 2 green wires on the wrong spots on the relay. all good now. next I'm going to find a xj dana 30 for the front and install the rk trac bar setup. and yes, my tires are cambered in, i check that out. I'm pretty sure its my ball joints causing that.

• 2 months later...

update: had a few more electical problems and replaced alot of stuff i didnt need to...but its cherry now...besides the bad drivers side motor mount. already ordered the browndog mounts the poly ones. and i have a pretty bad exhaust leak i found out after i put on a flowmaster super 44. probably the manifold but guna check that out when I'm doing the motor mount. and i went up to hollister hills today and found out i need to cut my fenders. this truck flexs nice. and my buddy slammed into me in the mud pit area and gave me a nice dent in my bed/bumper behind the rear tire on the bottom, time for a new wrap around custom bumper? i think so. will get some updated pics up soon.

all my friends have 1 ton chevys and jeeps with full widths. and I'm that guy with the little jeep truck. you know how that goes. i actually think I'm guna keep it unless someone offers me a trade i can't refuse. I'm already in $2000 on top of the price of the jeep plus its still got problems to be dealt with. and this renix system sucks.

you jeep will go anywhere a 1 ton chevy will go beacuse its light and narrow you can stay outta the ruts. don't SELL IT!!!!!

i won't sell it. ill never get as much as i would want to sell it for. but if a trade comes around for a rig already set up i might trade it. its a fun truck no doubt but its got a ways to go before its how i want it to be, and i rarely have time to work on it.

got some time to work on it finally, and yes i'm keepin it. fixed a bad motor mount, that in turn helped out with an exhaust leak..engine was sitting lower than stock..also bought a 94 xj dana 30 with brand new brakes and came with steering, plus a new front end off the same jeep in great condition...all for 100$ heress some pics.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found