Project '97 Comanche

I have been meaning to start a build thread for a while and now that the major work on my Comanche is done I am finally doing it.

The truck started as a 1988 2wd SWB truck.

With my old 99 Cherokee.

More Pics from when i bought it.

The first project on it was updating the front end to the 97+ Style and painting some interior pieces.

Then there is a long period with no pictures, which is when most of the work was actually done. The transmission went out on the truck and instead of just replacing it I decided to go all out.

I picked up 1997 Cherokee that had been rolled and started the process of moving everything over to the Comanche. When I was done I had moved the entire drivetrain, engine transmission, transfer case and both axles, and the dash to the Comanche. Along with all of the other small parts.

Here is how it sits now. The exterior is pretty much the same except for more lights.

And the interior is the most visible change.

All of the major things are done but I have a lot of little things to put together, and some interior panels to paint. Next to go on are some 32x11.50 tires that I have.

I picked up 1997 Cherokee that had been rolled and started the process of moving everything over to the Comanche. When I was done I had moved the entire drivetrain, engine transmission, transfer case and both axles, and the dash to the Comanche. Along with all of the other small parts.

Here is how it sits now. The exterior is pretty much the same except for more lights.

dude, truck looks great, but something's not right with your front wheels, i.e. your driver side. also, great job on the interior, are you gonna swap on the newer doors too? that would finish out the great look in the cab IMO.

Thanks for the compliments.

The front wheel looks funny in that picture but I didn't notice anything when driving and will take a closer look at it in the morning.

I will eventually swap to the newer doors, but I need to find a good set and save some cash to get them painted to match.

Yep, I did the swap of all the wiring to go with the new motor and dash. I have all the gauges working except the fuel gauge. I still need to figure something out to get that to read correctly, probably using a micro-controller since I am an Electrical Engineer with micro-controller experience.

See my build thread, around page 10 or so. I used a TJ pump and modified it. This required me to use a TJ cluster to get the values to be the same. This can be done using a 97+ XJ pump while retaining the factory cluster.

Live and learn I guess!

Finally got the 32s mounted, still need to add some more lift in the front and drop the rear down a little.

Also got all of the lights mounted on the roll bar. I have a problem I can't say no to free or cheap lights.

Also, the front wheels appear to be tilted a little, any ideas what might cause this, bad ball joints bent housing?

• 3 months later...