1986 Comanche V8 ?

for a small block it can be done but cooling will be your biggest concern. novak makes some mounts and adapters i believe and yes some people have put d44s under the front, normally from a wagoneer. I'm sure they will chime in. as wel as those who have a sbc under the hood

The front leaf conversion has been done, but I seem to remember one member's opinion that he'd never do it again. If our search function is working you might be able to the thread. Strengthening the front uniframe is very important.

Cooling can be a major headache in a v8 conversion. Some guys never seem to win. :( advanceadapters.com should also have motor mounts.

Thanks. But i don't want to run coil springs upfront i want to run leaf springs if its not to much of a hassle.

It is a step back to run front leaves and most likely way more work. The front suspension set up is already nice and works well.

was it dirtycomanche who ran the leaves up front? but ya the link suspension is really nice and a 44 can be made to go in buy purchasing a weld on truss with built in link mounts to make a beefy front end, without the hassle. good flex/ride/handling less work

for a small block it can be done but cooling will be your biggest concern. novak makes some mounts and adapters i believe and yes some people have put d44s under the front, normally from a wagoneer. I'm sure they will chime in. as wel as those who have a sbc under the hood

XJ wagoneer has D44's? Or are you talking about the FSJ waggy?

The full-size Wagoneer D44s are not an easy conversion. The front is the real bear, but for starters -- they are 6-bolt wheels, so if you have anything invested in your current wheels ... kiss it goodbye.

The full-size Waggies were leaf spring in front, so you have to be prepared to either convert your MJ to leaves, or fabricate and attach all the bracketry for the coil springs and control arms on the D44 axle. Clayton's Off-Road offers (or used to offer) a kit to do just that. If he even still sells it, it'll look pricey ... until you sit down and start adding up what it'll cost you to chase down all the materials, fabricate all the pieces, then chase down and fabricate all the stuff you overlooked ... His kit is actually a bargain.

full size Waggys. :thumbsup:

Unless you are talking about the export XJs and some MJs to South America. They had D-44's in the front. We had a member here that had an MJ with a Front 44. I can't remember his name anymore.

Don't forget those FSJ 44's have that 6 lug pattern. Wheel selection is kinda more limited.

Unless you are talking about the export XJs and some MJs to South America. They had D-44's in the front. We had a member here that had an MJ with a Front 44. I can't remember his name anymore.

I've done quite a bit of research (and looking at them in various countries) on export XJ/MJ's to everywhere and never saw anything about D44 fronts. Do you have any additional info? Thanks. :cheers:

Try car-part.com

Are you looking for an XJ axle (smaller Jeep SUV with a dana 30 front)? Or an SJ axle (big Jeep SUV with a Dana 44 front)?

I've done quite a bit of research (and looking at them in various countries) on export XJ/MJ's to everywhere and never saw anything about D44 fronts. Do you have any additional info? Thanks. :cheers:

If I remember right, it was discussed a couple months ago and the conclusion was that some counties got them, but most didn't.

Sorry no.. Just a memory of a member here from South America that had one. IIRC his MJ had a D-44 front out of an XJ. It seems like it was Venezula, but I might be wrong. There have been some pictures floating around various places since then. But no links I have at hand.

BTW, thanks for the strokers site link. Lots of good info on there. Never realized it even existed, just the yahoo group complete with Yahoo's lousy set-up.

BTW, thanks for the strokers site link. Lots of good info on there. Never realized it even existed, just the yahoo group complete with Yahoo's lousy set-up.

You're welcome. Super group on that forum, just like here. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help guys. Does anyone in the south know where i can get an XJ axle for a reasonable price?

Give Jason a call here: http://www.completeautorecyclers.com/. He's a Comanche guy. They are in Brownsboro, AL, specialize in Jeeps, and usually have up to 100 XJ's and 25 or so MJ's there. They don't crush them until there's nothing left. :D Good folks, and they can ship most anywhere. :cheers:

Don't forget those FSJ 44's have that 6 lug pattern. Wheel selection is kinda more limited.

The South American XJ 44's were not true 44's. High Pinion 44 center section, but the rest of the axle is all 30. It was essentially a predecessor to the Rubicon 44.

Does anyone in the south know where i can get an XJ axle for a reasonable price?

There's a pull a part in North, South, & East ATL, one in Agusta,GA, one in Birmingham, AL and one Montgomery,AL. Last time I got an axle from there it was $165ish. Last time I was there (Birmingham,AL) I saw an FSJ with a front 44 and ten or so XJ's with everything on the axles still intact.