Alexis Arguello Dead at 57

HOrnbrod

Perhaps the greatest lightweight boxer of all time. Went on after boxing to become the Mayor of Managua, Nicaragua last year. Supposedly died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest, according to the Sandinistas. :nuts: I remember Arguello destroying the likes of Ruben Olivares, Afredo Escalera, Bobby Chacon, Boom Boom Mancini, I mean knocking them cold! First fighter I've ever seen knock someone out with a body shot. The 5'10" thin Alexis had a rocker launcher in his right had that exploded. His two fights with Aaron Pryor were epics; one was the fight of the decade. And I was lucky to see that one in person. Yet unlike most of today's obnoxious fighters, he was a humble and caring individual. Therein is the true loss to the sport, his skills as a boxer and as a human being. RIP AA, Three-Time World Champion. This is sadder to me than all the recent deaths lately.

Best I can do is that I know who he was. I was technically alive at that time, but reeeally young. So unless he did a cameo on Sesame Street, i never saw him back in the day.

Still a bummer. :(

Jeesh! Doesn't ANYBODY like boxing on this forum? AA was one of the truly best from the late 70's - early 80's. Bunch of youngsters; probably before your time. :cheers:
I remember Don , I think a reason for the tuneout of younger folks is a lot of the younger folks watch things like UFC (Ultimate Fighter) and have tuned out of professional boxing. (At least in my family they have and I attribute Pay Per View to be a large cause) I do remember some of the great matches for example with Ray (Boom Boom) Mancini, and his nemesis Aaron Pryor in a different weight class. All excellent and perhaps some of the best Feather-weight to Light weight boxing in history.

I am an old boxing fan from the late 60's to late 80's, after that (and the birth of PPV)I kind of tuned out myself. I feel fortunate to have been able to watch Arguello, Ali, Norton, Frazier, Foreman, Leonard, Robinson, early Tyson, Hearns, Hagler, and others along with Howard Cosell hosting. I feel that SPIKE T.V. has stepped up offering folks free entertainment in UFC (although in my opinion it isn't a sport) where as any longer boxing is a thing of PPV. I do long for the days of ABC's wide world of sports!

:eek:

Now all that puts me back in the Twilight Zone :eek:

Howard Cosell and the Wide World of Sports.

Didn't Jim McKay pass away a few months ago :hmm:

So......My question is.........Did Howard Cosell make Cassius Clay the showman or the other way around :dunno:

I think the last fight I watched, after 20 minutes of "Rope-a-dope" did me in :doh:

And like you said doggy........Pay for view really killed the boxing industry in a whole, even in the '70's not every body had cable in there house, or even in there town :roll:

Yeah, PPV sucks and I do understand. It's big business now much like other major sports. I had a few fights as a youngster several centuries ago and basically got my a$$ kicked in all except my first 4-rounder, and it didn't take long to realize there had to be a better way to make a living. But I have been a huge boxing fan all my life. The only PPV I will do is when Manny Pacquio fights, because he's a distant relative of the wife, he always fights his heart out, and I had the pleasure of meeting him several times in the Philippines long before he became the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. And he still hasn't changed much. The UFC and the other variations are IMHO trash sports. But Arguello was a true all-time great, an honorable man, and I mourn his passing a hell of a lot more than an MJ. Sorry for the soapbox.

Jeesh! Doesn't ANYBODY like boxing on this forum? AA was one of the truly best from the late 70's - early 80's. Bunch of youngsters; probably before your time. :cheers:
Well i do and do remember those fights and as you stated earlier a very humble man. Mr Arguello let his fists do the talking. Agree with your earlier statement he was an all time great boxer and now a legend. :cheers:

Yeah, I know him,

He's a legend in boxing. He's all three of the Gatti-Ward fights packed into one human being. De La hoya would have never had a chance against him....too bad God didn't save him for the current day so he could give a shellackin' to that punk Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Yeah, I know him, He's a legend in boxing. He's all three of the Gatti-Ward fights packed into one human being. De La hoya would have never had a chance against him....too bad God didn't save him for the current day so he could give a shellackin' to that punk Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Punk Mayweather would get his hind end kicked bad against AA, even if the Punk has his whole family of thugs in his corner. But since that will never happen, I'm going to leave it up to the Pacman and Freddie to take care of business, just like they did with Oscar and Hatton. :cheers:

He's all three of the Gatti-Ward fights packed into one human being. De La hoya would have never had a chance against him....too bad God didn't save him for the current day so he could give a shellackin' to that punk Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Jeesh - watching the fights tonight on SHO; they just announced that Arturo Gatti was found dead in a hotel room today in Brazil while on vacation. He was only 37. This is unreal.............