chrystler 8.5 inch???

Bummer. But to answer your question, the early 8.25 is slightly better than the Dana 35. Not really enough to justify a swap (unless you get a better gear ratio out of it). The 97+ 8.25 is a much better axle (comparable to the Dana 44), having thicker axle shafts with a higher spline count. The later model shafts and spider gears can be swapped into the earlier 8.25s.

Bummer. But to answer your question, the early 8.25 is slightly better than the Dana 35. Not really enough to justify a swap (unless you get a better gear ratio out of it). The 97+ 8.25 is a much better axle (comparable to the Dana 44), having thicker axle shafts with a higher spline count. The later model shafts and spider gears can be swapped into the earlier 8.25s.

I was under the impression that ALL 8.25s were a significant upgrade from a D35.

Are the early 8.25s an upgrade? Sure, I guess. But not enough to justify the effort of swapping axles. The 27 spline shafts aren't much stronger than a Dana 35's and they are C-clip. If you're going to put forth the money and effort to throw another axle under your Jeep, go with the 29 spline 8.25 or Dana 44 or Explorer 8.8 (which might be what you're thinking of since the earlier drummed axles used to be confused with other vehicles' 28 spline 8.8s, but it turns out they too have the 31 spline shafts).

Are the early 8.25s an upgrade? Sure, I guess. But not enough to justify the effort of swapping axles. The 27 spline shafts aren't much stronger than a Dana 35's and they are C-clip. If you're going to put forth the money and effort to throw another axle under your Jeep, go with the 29 spline 8.25 or Dana 44 or Explorer 8.8 (which might be what you're thinking of since the earlier drummed axles used to be confused with other vehicles' 28 spline 8.8s, but it turns out they too have the 31 spline shafts).

What do you mean when you say "early"? My 95 XJ has an 8.25 in it. From what I read, most people say the 8.25 is much better to have than the D35.

What do you mean when you say "early"? My 95 XJ has an 8.25 in it. From what I read, most people say the 8.25 is much better to have than the D35.

The 8.25" came in 2 versions based on the year of the XJ.

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, C-Clip, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 1991-1996

Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, C-Clip, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 1997-2001

Housings are identical among both versions. The shafts, and carrier (along with internals of carrier) are different.

As to the 8.25" being better than the D35, it also depends on what D35 (2 versions came in the XJ's as well) they are referring to. The early models are non c-clip, where the later models are c-clip axles. I'd take an early non c-clip D35 over a 27 spline 8.25" any day.

Here's the specs on the D35's in the XJ's.

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 1984-1989

Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 1990-2001

Yes, the 8.25 is much better than a D35. The early versions, like your's, have 27 splines. Sometime in 1996 they started using larger 29 spline axle shafts. What he is saying is that if you are replacing a D35, it makes more sense to replace it with the stronger 29 spline 8.25. There is nothing wrong with the 27 spline 8.25 if you already have it.

Willy

Yes, the 8.25 is much better than a D35. The early versions, like your's, have 27 splines. Sometime in 1996 they started using larger 29 spline axle shafts. What he is saying is that if you are replacing a D35, it makes more sense to replace it with the stronger 29 spline 8.25. There is nothing wrong with the 27 spline 8.25 if you already have it.

Willy

Well, sure. I was just under the impression that the 8.25 is a lot more solid/stronger/better/insert adjective here than the D35 is. Apparently, that's only true if you have a 97+ 8.25.

There's no reason to turn down a good deal on a 27 spline 8.25. You can get it in the truck, and, it's already an upgrade. Then when you want to upgrade more, you simply get the 29 splide shafts and outer spiders. The housing, carrier, and gears are all the same.

Plus you can keep your 27 spline stuff as trail spares.

There's a 4.10 8.25 sitting under a 95 XJ at my junkyard right now, in case anyone's interested in it......

(if it were a 29 spline, I would already own it :D )

Jeff

Willy

yeahthat.gif The housing and the gears on the 8.25 are better than the Dana 35, but the 27 spline shafts of the early 8.25s are nothing spectacular. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't pay for a 3.55 8.25 if I already had a perfectly healthy 3.55 Dana 35. I'd rather sink that money into a 44 or 8.8 or an axle with better gearing. But if I needed a complete axle, and there was a C-clip Dana 35 and an early 8.25 sitting there in the junkyard, I personally would go for the 8.25 in a heartbeat (and then be on the lookout for the 29 spline shafts/spiders).

There's a 4.10 8.25 sitting under a 95 XJ at my junkyard right now, in case anyone's interested in it......

(if it were a 29 spline, I would already own it :D )

Jeff

Get it, throw it in, and grab a set of 29 spline shafts from a 3.07 8.25 of.

meh...along with a new carrier and gear setup, not really interested in it right now. I'm already running a 44 (which my buddy pointed out looks tiny inbetween 35" MT's ;) )

Just passing it on in case anyone wants to come get it. They charge $99 if they ring it up as a "4WD rear axle" but only $39 if they ring it up as a "2WD rear axle". Unless you pull a D60 or larger, or the axle has a huge WMS, they generally think it's a car axle and charge you less (D35, 44, 8.25, 8.8, etc.) Either way, it's a good deal if someone's looking...

Jeff

i'm guessing he's talking about going from 27 spline to 29 spline. the 29 spline spider gears won't fit in the 27 spline carrier so you have to use a 29 spline carrier and steup the backlash if you plan on doing that swap

That's the first I've ever heard of that.

I've always been told the 29 spl spiders and interchangeable with the 27s.

nope the outer diameter of the 29 spline spiders where they go into the carrier is larger and they won't fit into the 27 spline carrier.

I'd not heard that before. But generally everything regarding the 8.25 I disregard. Not enough strength to bother or care.

I read some posts on NAXJA and it seems plenty of people vouch both ways. I'm getting the impression that there's aftermarker 29 spline spiders that are the same OD as the 27s.

What about the Dakota 8.25s? Anyone know about the shafts in those? My stepdad has a 95 Dak with a 6 lug 8.25.