chrystler 8.5 inch???

What about the Dakota 8.25s? Anyone know about the shafts in those? My stepdad has a 95 Dak with a 6 lug 8.25.

For what purpose? To change your bolt pattern? It's probably the wrong width, if nothing else... I could be off-base.

No, I was just curious if the internals were all the same and whatnot, since I'm getting mixed information. I'm putting an 8.25 in and I've been under the impression that I could very simply swap the 29 spline stuff in. If I'm gonna need a new carrier, I may have to re-think.

I can't speak from experience, but I was under the impression that you needed a 29 spine carrier to swap the shafts....maybe bearings as well (the 29 shafts have a slightly larger OD).

I might just go snag that axle anyway, just to have. Then I can play around with it and see what works and what doesn't.

You could just put a full case locker in it and call it good, too :yes:

Jeff

I grabbed that axle yesterday, and tore it down this morning. It was actually a 96 XJ and I got a bit hopeful that it would be a 29 spine, but it's not. I'm gonna hit the yard again this weekend coming up and pull a carrier and shafts from a late model XJ and see if the spiders fit the carrier and if the bearings fit the shafts. I'll let y'all know what I find out.....

Jeff

I was under the impression that ALL 8.25s were a significant upgrade from a D35.

Nope. The early 8.25s have the same shaft diameter and same number of splines as the D35. The housing and tubes are slightlly stronger, but that's offset (IMHO) by the fact that the 8.25 is a c-clip design and the D35 isn't. As Pete wrote above, it might be worth swapping in an early 8.25 to get a ratio change, but aside from that it's hardly an upgrade at all, and certainly not a "significant" upgrade.

91+ D35s are C-clips. At least all 3 of my 91s and my 92 D35 are.

Geonovast, While I know what you mean, technically you are wrong. Eagle is comparing the early D35 with the 8.25. You have confused the D35C with his post.

I also disagree with Eagle where he states the 8.25 is slightly stronger housing. I say its housing is quite a bit stronger. As many know this is the largest week point in the D35/D35C's design. Flex here causes all or the vast majority of the "C" clip failures seen with this lovely axle.

But in the end, Dirty has capped the topic spot on...

This comes down to the case of comparing grades of manure. It's all poo in the end.

Geonovast, While I know what you mean, technically you are wrong. Eagle is comparing the early D35 with the 8.25. You have confused the D35C with his post.

He said early 8.25, not early D35. The D35 went to a C-clip design before the 8.25 was even used.

Also, D35C does not specify C-clip, it's Dana 35 Custom, which I believe is was they tagged it as when they weren't getting whole axles shipped and had to glob them together themselves.

I do agree with you though, while the 27 spline shafts are barely stronger than the D35 shafts, that housing and axles tubes are a hell of a lot beefier than the D35.

He said early 8.25, not early D35. The D35 went to a C-clip design before the 8.25 was even used.

I beg to differ, An early D35 is a D35. The D35C is the newer "Custom" version as you later elude to.

The early 8.25s have the same shaft diameter and same number of splines as the D35. The housing and tubes are slightly stronger, but that's offset (IMHO) by the fact that the 8.25 is a c-clip design and the D35 isn't.

Eagle has compared the 8.25 27Spl with a D35. (That is a NON "C" Clip axle)

Also, D35C does not specify C-clip, it's Dana 35 Custom.

I agree, you are correct. :cheers:

I do agree with you though, while the 27 spline shafts are barely stronger than the D35 shafts, that housing and axles tubes are a hell of a lot beefier than the D35.

If the axles them selves are the same diameter, splines and material. Neither is any stronger then the other. Its the housing that makes the 27Spl 8.25 axle better than any D35. :D

CW

I'll say one thing about the axle housing and tubes......that darn 8.25 is a whole lot heavier than a '35 (and a '44 for that matter). Working by myself at the junkyard, it was a whole lot harder loading that thing into the wheelbarrow and then into the bed of the MJ than any 35 or 44 I've ever pulled alone.....

Jeff