Transfer case linkage Question

I just finished swapping-out my part-time 231 for the full-time 242. This job is straightforward and everything works fine except for the linkage.

I read the FSM and I have fiddled with the adjustment nut on the rod that connects directly to the TC shifter with no luck. I can line it up to get either the first or second range of gears but not all 5:

Range 1:

2WD

Part Time 4WD

Full Time 4WD

Neutral

Range 2:

Part Time 4WD

Full Time 4WD

Neutral

4WD Low

Does anyone have any tips to get all 5 gears?

:nuts: Why would you go from selectable 4WD to full time? Your fuel milage is going to drop like a stone.

The 242 is selectable.

242 has;

2wd

4wd Part Time

4wd Full Time

Neutral

4wd Lo

His problem is that the linkage will only allow him to have the first 4 or the last 4.

Geonovast, you are correct. I can only adjust the linkage to get either the top 4 or bottom 4 gear selections. I'm in the northeast and the road conditions after a snow storm can vary widely.

I don't take her off-road and having full-time 4WD will be nice.

Geonovast, you are correct. I can only adjust the linkage to get either the top 4 or bottom 4 gear selections. I'm in the northeast and the road conditions after a snow storm can vary widely.

I don't take her off-raod and having full-time 4WD will be nice.

I know what ya mean, I'm gonna be watching for the fix, since I'll be putting a 242 in the XJ soon. I don't mind having to go back and forth or driving on slippery stuff in 2wd, but I would much prefer the AWD option for the GF.

:agree: thats what i thought. I'm trying to find a 242 also. I'm hoping to trade my 231 but if i can find one cheap enough. Ill sell the 231. Id rather be safe with a 242 than a 231. I just hope i find one soon. I want to have it bolted up to my aw4 so i can install it in my truck as one.

Did this ever get resolved? I just finished rebuilding a 242 for my 'manche. Did you use the entire shifter assy for the 242, or just the gate? Sounds like a problem with the length of an arm on the pivot assy. Also, make sure the adjusting rod isn't bent.

:nuts: Why would you go from selectable 4WD to full time? Your fuel milage is going to drop like a stone.

I've done some almost-scientific experiments with the full-time in the Libby and found no discernible difference in mileage between 2wd and 4wd fulltime. Admittedly that was mostly freeway travel.

• 2 weeks later...

When I swapped in a NP242 into my old MJ I used the ENTIRE 242 assembly (linkage, mount, etc) out of the XJ. I "think" I had to even trim some of the sheetmetal for clearance when mounting the new one up. I do recall that I couldn't get the 231 assembly to work correctly. It's been several years ago and that MJ is in a new owners hands so I can't get you a pic, but I do remember that I had to use the entire thing from the XJ for it to work properly.

The linkage is the same between the 231 and 242 on the 6 cylinder. (Well it is for the 1991) The part numbers for the linkage rods etc are the same. When I did mine all I did was swap the selector assembly which has different gating and is a bit longer. The adjustment was a bit tricky. I loosened the adjusting nut on the shift rod then set the transfer case into neutral. Then put the lever into neutral and tighten it up. I had to remove the linkage rod and adjusting clip/nut to clean them up so the adjusting clip slides freely on the shift rod. If you are only getting 4 gears you probably have the linkage too far forward which is how the linkage is set for the 231 as the lever has less movement than the 242 lever.