Chevy 5 speed for a 2.5?

According to Wikipedia, the 2.5 retained the GM bellhousing pattern since it was replacing the GM 4cyl and was used in conjunction with the GM 2.8. The rear wheel drive 85 to 90 Camaro and 85 to 89 Firebird used the same 2.8. Anyone know if the 5 speed from either of these would bolt to a 2.5?

The only info I have for you, is that I pulled a bellhousing off an old CJ 2.5 and it was chevy pattern, I pulled it out of my MJ, and it was the jeep pattern. Look at bellhousing pics on google, the difference will be obvious. Chev patterns are pointed at the top.

Yes the 2.5 used a GM 60deg V6 bolt pattern. There may be input shaft length differences however, and getting a clutch to work may be a problem.

Why do you want to put in a chebby transmission? Is there a problem with your AX-5 or AX-4?

Why do you want to put in a chebby transmission? Is there a problem with your AX-5 or AX-4?

I agree there, if it's not broke, why fix it?

Maybe he's planning to break it. :rotf:

I'm gonna be coming down to MO on Friday, and we'll be going back up late late next week. If you're having transmission troubles I can definitely stop by and take a look.

That is a possibility, and I know first hand that a 2.5 can tear an AX5 apart.

The only info I have for you, is that I pulled a bellhousing off an old CJ 2.5 and it was chevy pattern, I pulled it out of my MJ, and it was the jeep pattern. Look at bellhousing pics on google, the difference will be obvious. Chev patterns are pointed at the top.

But which chevy pattern?

I'm gonna be coming down to MO on Friday, and we'll be going back up late late next week. If you're having transmission troubles I can definitely stop by and take a look.

This is the May trip you mentioned before? Coming down on 54 thru Mexico again?

Anywho, the tranny is working fine except for the first gear syncros not as pristine as the used to be. I was thinking ahead if something happens. Since mine is purely a street jeep and the AX4 is a truck tranny, and is geared that way, if a car tranny (4 or 5 speed) with "street" gearing would fit I might consider it.

But which chevy pattern?

Oh, snap.

I was talking about the one that's on the back of my 350. It's the same as the one that was on my old CJ 2.5 but not my MJ 2.5.

I think the CJ had the ol' Iron Duke 2.5

Don't quote me on any of that though. I just know that MY chevy transmission wouldn't bolt to MY MJ 2.5

How is an AX4 a truck tranny, and an AX5 a car tranny? An AX5 is an AX4 with overdrive added. Geonovast and JeepcoMJ each have converted an AX4 to an AX5 by adding the overdrive gear at least once.

1st through 4th on an AX5 are the same as an AX4.

The difference might be that the AX4 usually came with 3.55 axles, and the AX5 with 4.10 axles.

I looked it up, the era Camaro he's talking about with a 2.8 is a T-5.

That specific T-5 came with a 3.5 first gear, compared to 3.93 in the AX-4/5.

How is an AX4 a truck tranny, and an AX5 a car tranny? An AX5 is an AX4 with overdrive added, and I believe Geonovast and JeepcoMJ has converted an AX4 to an AX5 by adding the overdrive gear at least once.

1st through 4th on an AX5 are the same as an AX4.

The difference might be that the AX4 usually came with 3.55 axles, and the AX5 with 4.10 axles.

I did it first and showed Mr. MJ how to do it. :thumbsup:

Regardless of his grammar, he does make a good point. But, in theory, you might be able to find a T-5 bellhousing from an 86 MJ/XJ with the 2.5L to mate to a car T-5. Maybe. It's a pretty rare trans, but car-part.com should be able to find you one. Look for a "top loader".

ya i know.

i had been up for 20 hours.

just got home from the truck after a 18 hour run.

i was a little tierd when i posted that.

and i know i can't spell very good anyway. :dunce:

but i can drive with the best of them and i am a really good shot .

image_209027.gif

i have the transmission you want. with the bell housing, clutch slave, and the yoke and clutch and flywheel off a 2.8. and yes the 2.8 camaro engine is a terrible motor and it has the 60 degree heads making it un-swappable with just about anything else GM has ever produced. its free if you come get it. I'm in NH about 25 minutes from portsmouth about 50 minutes from manchester.

i have the transmission you want. with the bell housing, clutch slave, and the yoke and clutch and flywheel off a 2.8. and yes the 2.8 camaro engine is a terrible motor and it has the 60 degree heads making it un-swappable with just about anything else GM has ever produced. its free if you come get it. I'm in NH about 25 minutes from portsmouth about 50 minutes from manchester.

Sounds good except he's 1300 miles away from you.. :thumbsup: Probably be cheaper to ship it.

Considering his reasons for the swap I personally think he's better with his AX-4.