One of my balls fell off - now what?

I went for a drive without my bumper - found this when I got home.

IMG_1901.jpg

I don't know much about the vaccum system, so what will be affected now that the ball is gone?

If I shim the CAD and don't care about dash lights .... can I just trim and cap the line?

Yeah, but no matter what you have the heater selector switch set to, it will start blowing through the defog vents on top of the the dash whenever you accelerate or pull a grade.

You could get a ball off a junk yard XJ, and put it under the hood near the relays.

Yeah, but no matter what you have the heater selector switch set to, it will start blowing through the defog vents on top of the the dash whenever you accelerate or pull a grade.

You could get a ball off a junk yard XJ, and put it under the hood near the relays.

Yup, had that happen in my 4.0, all last summer the thing blew very hot through the defroster. Finally Pat told me what to check and the vacuum ball had a nice big crack in it. Replaced it and now heater works fine except it's too friggin hot.

I got 1 extra ball and a blimp if you need one.

Think the blimp only has a port on one side though.

Jake, is there a part number anywhere on the ball shaped vacuum reservoir? I can't find it anywhere. Found the football/blimp though. Thanks.

Still can't find any part numbers for the small ball vacuum tank. :fs1:

The 88-90 Parts PDF I have lists the "RESERVOIR, Vacuum" for a 4.2L YJ/Wrangler with the round Ball (which looks like the one on my 89 MJ... Part # 5300 3408 and it appears to be a two port (or at least shows to vacuum lines going in...

421200990334pm.jpg

Although only shows the blimp for the EFI Comanches, which is odd...

421200990610pm.jpg

The ones with two ports have a valve in them. one port supplies vacuum from the engine, the other port provides vacuum to whatever. Even if the engine loses vacuum due to hard acceleration, the ball maintains vacuum because the valve doesn't allow it to leak out through the engine supply line. The football shaped ones with two ports on each end are two reservoirs in one housing. I originally had a ball with 2 ports, but the mounting tabs had busted off when the deer mangled the bumper. My new bumper had a football shaped one inside (of a 19?? XJ Limited) with only 1 single port one 1 end. It mostly works, but long grades still make the heater flapper move to the defog vents. Much better than no reservoir at all, though, and good enough that I never worried about changing it.

I got 1 extra ball and a blimp if you need one.

Think the blimp only has a port on one side though.

I'd be thrilled to take that extra ball off your hands (boy, does that sound bad or what??).

PM me your Paypal address and how much you want for it .... I'll send you my shipping address.

THANKS!

Geez. I didn't realize that an old ball would garner so much interest :D :roll:

Hornbrod- the part number on it is EIEH-19A566-A. Its a round two-holer, and one hole is marked 'VAC', other is unmarked. The part number is stamped onto the seam the joins the two halfs together. It came from an '89 XJ that I stripped, However, my parts lists show the same info as SW2....the number on the ball does'nt seem to correspond to anything I can find...

Simon - PM sent

Hornbrod- the part number on it is EIEH-19A566-A. Its a round two-holer, and one hole is marked 'VAC', other is unmarked. The part number is stamped onto the seam the joins the two halfs together. It came from an '89 XJ that I stripped, However, my parts lists show the same info as SW2....the number on the ball does'nt seem to correspond to anything I can find.

Thanks. That p/n (19A566-A) crosses to a Ford vacuum reservoir @ like $80! :eek: I did find a couple of sources for the Wrangler 53003408 ball reservoir (Thanks SW2 and mjdoa) which should work fine for me since I need the 2-port w. a checkvalve. I have the football single port one now w. no checkvalve.