Mystery part

Granted I did not get a lot of sleep last night but I couldn't find anything on my database repair CD or my hayes manuals. I discovered a little broken plastic piece with two wires connected to it. Green/Black and Green/Brown from the looks of it. Can someone please tell me what the hell this thing is? Ground device for something? Never seen it in a jeep before... :hmm:

gedc0582.jpg

Maybe it's part of the turbo encabulator ???? :rotfl2:

That's your ballast resistor, Almost all olderish Jeeps will have one. It's a resistor for the fuel pump, after startup it runs the power through there to make the pump spin a little slower, and therefore run quieter.

You can either replace it, they're about $7-15 depending on where you get one, or just splice the wires together and bypass it.

Oh, and it's porcelin.

Double-checked, the one I looked up was a generic one. Dealer is just down the road from me but I'm going to hold out for now. Keeping my eye open for a local cherokee donor for the gauge swap and new wheels/tires. If I can't find the part on the donor will hit the dealer down the road from me. Thanks guys.

That's your ballast resistor, Almost all olderish Jeeps will have one. It's a resistor for the fuel pump, after startup it runs the power through there to make the pump spin a little slower, and therefore run quieter.

You can either replace it, they're about $7-15 depending on where you get one, or just splice the wires together and bypass it.

Oh, and it's porcelin.

It makes the pump last longer too.