327 in a Comanche?

I was wondering if anyone has any info about swapping to a 327 ? Thanks for any advice my comanche is a 87 short bed 2wd , I have a set of axles with 410s and will be doing a spring over on the rear end. I have already removed the 5 spd , any advice would be appreciated Thanks

why a 327?? why not go with a 383. it will be just as much work and every company under the sun sell conversion kits for the 350, then just stock it to a 383. unless you have the 305 or 327 already.

:sigh:

This is what I get for hanging around a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies.

It was a joke, lads. I am known for being somewhat brand-centric when it comes to Jeep and AMC, so it seemed like a good opening for a joke. Unfortunately, I guess I am the only living human old enough to remember that back in the late 1950s and early 1960s AMC ("Rambler") used to have a 327 engine. It was not a Chevy 327, it was an AMC engine. It was replaced by the then-newly designed 343 engine in 1967, and the 343 was slightly stroked and the deck height raised to become the 360 (an AMC engine, not the Mopar 360) in 1970.

Really, Gents. If you're going to be doing this Jeep stuff you should get a handle on the family lineage. Otherwise all these great tidbits will go right over your heads.

It was a joke, lads. I am known for being somewhat brand-centric when it comes to Jeep and AMC, so it seemed like a good opening for a joke. Unfortunately, I guess I am the only living human old enough to remember that back in the late 1950s and early 1960s AMC ("Rambler") used to have a 327 engine. It was not a Chevy 327, it was an AMC engine. It was replaced by the then-newly designed 343 engine in 1967, and the 343 was slightly stroked and the deck height raised to become the 360 (an AMC engine, not the Mopar 360) in 1970.

Really, Gents. If you're going to be doing this Jeep stuff you should get a handle on the family lineage. Otherwise all these great tidbits will go right over your heads.

:doh: :bowdown:

Hmmmmm, I think I know a little something about AMC engines as well. You are not the only well aged guy here. :chillin: .

And I agree about the blasphemy!

I was wondering more off of AMC's reputation of "ANY MOTOR COMPANY" cause there for a while you never really know what you were gonna get.

OK, give me a list of non AMC engines used in Jeeps during the AMC ownership.

Weren't they using the Iron Duke 4banger at one point in time?

Yes, they used the Iron Duke for a few years in the late 70's, I believe. They dropped it when they came out with our own, dearly beloved 2.5L I-4. I think the Iron Duke was used in some years of the Concord and the Eagle.

Weren't they using the Iron Duke 4banger at one point in time?

Yes, they used the Iron Duke for a few years in the late 70's, I believe. They dropped it when they came out with our own, dearly beloved 2.5L I-4. I think the Iron Duke was used in some years of the Concord and the Eagle.

Yup, the iron duck could be found in most any amc as well as the CJ's.

To add to the blasphemy... I have a turn-key Ford 302 (though it could use a rebuild) from a 1970 Ranchero I previously owned. Anyone seen a small block Ford grafted into a Comanche? Motor swap set aside, I would rather not do the math on tranny, t-case, and axle upgrades (yet). Yikes...

Thanks for the replies, and it may be blasphemy but the 327 in question is supposed to be a 1963 out of a corvette I have not verified that yet. The engine sounds very good and is allready installed in a 55 cj-5. And I am old enough to remember the amc 327Vigalante ,if I was restoring this MJ I would keep it 2wd and the 5spd that was in it. However it is being converted to 4wd I already have a set of axles with 410s almost ready to install . I am waiting on new control arm bushings and the front axle is ready,the rear is going to be a spring over so as soon as I get the spring pads relocated it will also be ready. At this point there is a couple of options I just thought it might be fun to do something different. :wrench: image_209027.gif

I was wondering more off of AMC's reputation of "ANY MOTOR COMPANY" cause there for a while you never really know what you were gonna get.

OK, give me a list of non AMC engines used in Jeeps during the AMC ownership.

Well, the kaiser Jeep trucks had a Buick 350.