91' 4.0L Valve Cover Gasket

Hello All,

Just found the forum today. Great information and lots of ideas!

I have a 1991 Comanche 2WD 4.0L that is my daily driver that has 135k miles. Like a lot of people on the forum, I have a oil leak that I am trying to stop or at least slow down.

It appears from me looking at the engine that it is coming from the rear of the valve cover so I want to change the valve cover gasket.

My question is that I have a choice of material for the gasket...cork or PermaDryPlus. The price difference is incredible. Looking at RockAuto.com the cork is $3.93 and the PermaDryPlus is $35.79. I'm having a hard time justifying the $35 for the PermaDry. Is it worth it??

Thanks for any feedback...John

i've used the right stuff sealant with alot of success.it is alittle expensive but it's still cheaper than a $35 valve cover gasket and you can make several gaskets with it for less than $20 a tube depending on where you get it.advance and federated auto parts both carry it.

Maybe your valve cover gasket is leaking, but I bet your rear main seal is leaking too...very common on the 4.0 engine. Ive seen them start leaking even before the warranty runs out on the thing. But the valve cover is a good place to start. And with gaskets... you get what you pay for. And like in body work... preparation/cleaning makes all the difference. Drop the 35 for the good one, the cork one won't last.

Edit: Got to advanceauto.com or to autozone.com or to oreillyauto.com and price shop between them, or whatever parts stores you have in your part of the country. Sometimes price shopping makes a HUGE difference! :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for all the info. You guys are great!! This computer geek who wants to start wrenching really appreciates the guidance.

Bought the PermaDryPlus valve cover gasket this morning and its on the way. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Later...John

Be careful when you install the gasket. The torque value is 55-85 inch/lbs., depending on the source. Not foot/lbs., but inch/lbs. That's about 4-7 foot/lbs. Not very much.

Most foot-pound torque wrenches aren't accurate in that range. It's worth a few bucks to invest in an inch-pound torque wrench.

Be careful when you install the gasket. The torque value is 55-85 inch/lbs., depending on the source. Not foot/lbs., but inch/lbs. That's about 4-7 foot/lbs. Not very much.

Most foot-pound torque wrenches aren't accurate in that range. It's worth a few bucks to invest in an inch-pound torque wrench.

Who makes a good low-range torque wrench? I went looking for one last weekend (to do my VC and gasket replacement)and came up empty.

I'd just go get an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight. If you don't like HF, get a Craftsman. I only recommend the cheap route because while it would be nice to have one in your toolbox, it won't get a lot of use.

Got the new valve cover gasket and will be installing this weekend.

johnnyc...Thanks for the torque spec on the cover and pointing out that it is in in/lbs and not ft/lbs. I have access to a in/lb torque wrench.

I'll give you guys an update when I get the gasket changed.

Later...john

You will be happy that you went with that gasket. I have used the RTV only method and it doesn't last long. Right Stuff is great, but it is so strong that if you need to remove it, you will have an all out war on your hands getting the cover off. I use Right Stuff on my diff covers only because I know that they are not coming off any time soon.

I'd just go get an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight. If you don't like HF, get a Craftsman. I only recommend the cheap route because while it would be nice to have one in your toolbox, it won't get a lot of use.

I tried sears last weekend, so maybe a visit to HF is in order.

I have had great success with felpro-neoprne vc gasket. Its a touch pricy but its worth it less fooling around. they are a metal stamped section coated in neoprene. Designed to be reusable. Just make sure you clean the surfaces well.

If your finding your engine is starting to leak oil form every orfice lol. Lucas heavey oil stabilizer is a cheep fix that works. Add one full bottle to approx 4.5L's of oil and your good to go. Should see results in 3 days.

Just a few ideas to consider,

cheers,