What really burns me up

Yeah but then we would miss out on people that have some stuff lying around and just want it gone. What better place to post for sale spare old tailgate you have lying around, and a wiring harness you want out of your basement? Since the production count was low, there's not a huge demand for parts in every area, so some people have trouble selling on the free generic classifiedes sites.

Maybe though have a separate "general forum classifieds" and a "member's only" that has a few requirements to see (and even know it exists) and access (say, X number of posts, or Y days of activity, or an invite from a mod).

:agree:

With all the above, I've notice that the newbies post up in the classified with 1-2 post count, and don't follow the "New" rules, like location, and like JT said, list it, don't follow up with answers to questions, and then no one know what's going on.

I'll agree that sometimes a newbie will post some of the hard to find parts, but then who want to pay $300 for a tailgate, that has rust on it.....or, 'only one problem......the handle is broken off'

Who know :dunno: The same newbie might come back in 6 months with something else, but not too often.

I think what JT is getting at, and it's been done here many times, ..........

Some one (or a dealer) jumps on here, lists a '88 rare one of a kind, getting hard to find, 2wd MJ for $9,995.99 and then don't follow up with there add, and like, whom on this board will pay 10K for a '88........... :rotfl2:

If something is set up, and like the post count is say, under 50, they need approval from a Mod to enter a listing on the classified, like, have it "approved" before its posted.

If that's too hard, then the Mod in charge of the classified should delete the post right form the start, and sent a list of the rules to the poster.

It will save all us "regulars" from wasting our time reading all this one time posting, and spend more time :wrench:

I've come to the point, if someone has less than X posts, I wouldn't answer there questions, cause they don't respond for a few days, or weeks :hmm: And the same on classified, if there looking for something, I'll respond after the post count is up some. Plus the day job keeps me busy, and time is limited on here :(

I agree. EVERY other board that I am on has a minimum post count that must be achieved before classified posting is allowed. My reasoning is primarily the same as Wildman so I won't go in to any long elaboration.

While I too find it annoying when people don't follow up with their posts, I'm not quite to the point that I want to burden the mods with more work. Plus I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of gaining 25 worthless posts cluttering up the rest of the forums from each guy that just wants to place an ad for a truck.

Also, I've been on the flip side of this issue trying to sell off the leftover Bronco parts in the garage. Took the better part of an hour to find enough tech questions to which I could actually contribute, just to get rid of some pieces of exterior trim. :shake:

And, to the best of my knowledge, this forum software doesn't offer an automated way to require a certain post count before posting in a particular forum. :dunno: If anyone knows a way, please let me know. :thumbsup:

And, to the best of my knowledge, this forum software doesn't offer an automated way to require a certain post count before posting in a particular forum. :dunno: If anyone knows a way, please let me know. :thumbsup:

Buy Better Forum Software... (vBulletin) :popcorn:

I'll match SW2's offer to up grade the soft ware on this site to put this form into the 21st century :D

Plus (not knowing swat about soft ware) it just might make your job easier :dunno:

Not until I have a job. :shake:

I thought this Was your job :hmm:

:teehee:

I thought this Was your job :hmm:

:teehee:

I wish. :yes:

But in all seriousness, this free software does pretty much everything we need. Just a couple minor issues here and there. Besides, most of my "job effort" has nothing to do with the software. Some days I feel like a marriage counselor and high school principal all rolled into one. :shake:

I'm good for $25.00!!! Were almost there :)

I really started coming to the site because of the 2500 debacle (sp), but I enjoy spending everyday reading posts and looking at your builds. And since I finally got my MJ back..... I see myself spending alot more time here.

I appreciate all the support guys, :thumbsup: but I promised myself years ago when setting up the forums that I wouldn't incur any costs unless I could cover everything myself (and if donations came in, so be it). I didn't want to have to rely on outside help, just in case it didn't happen. Admittedly we are a lot bigger now though so maybe I should rethink some of that. Plus I just always assumed that employment (something that makes use of my engineering degree, not talking about flipping burgers) was just around the corner. :hmm: stupid Michigan.

Plus I have to take into consideration that I'd have a whole new system to learn. :ack: :hateputers:

You are covering the cost......you have been........We're just offering "Donations" to up grade Your Fine Service :yes:

Which reminds me.......I got to get my annual order of sticker in.....I'll PM you with the list later :roll:

As far the what the OP stated........I've seen some more of the same thing this past week :fs1:

Just join up, advertise some "stuff" and never be seen again :shake:

So what exactly is it about the VBulletin that makes it so awesome? :dunno: I admit the old PHPBB was a real pain in the wazoo, but that was mostly because I didn't know how to keep up with the updates. Once I farmed that out and got everything up to date (and learned some of the system) I like it.

Personally, I hate Vbulletin.

I don't think it clutters up the classifieds that much. I also agree that a huge contributing member might miss out on a great deal for a part or truck just because someone didn't want to be bothered working to be able to put something up for sale. I've been on boards that required you to have a certain number of posts(per DAY) in order to access the whole forum. It was pretty bogus.

If you're concerned with other members maybe not noticing stuff you have for sale, I've seen a couple people on here who have links to their classified threads in their signature. I think that's a pretty good idea.

• 1 month later...
20 posts before being able to make a thread in the Classifieds would work to keep me quite :yes:

Then you'd just get people gumming up threads with stupid comments, or they won't see it as worth it and an active member will miss out on something they need or a good deal.

As long as they don't join just to spam I don't see a problem with it. What I find annoying, is that of the 2,516 registered members, 931 of them have 0 posts.

What I find annoying, is that of the 2,516 registered members, 931 of them have 0 posts.

Just waiting in the wings. :brows:

:rotf:

:dunno: I think some people join when they find us and just forget about us. Every once and awhile we get someone who has been sitting in the woodwork come forward and introduce themselves. Actually, up until I got back involved, I had joined just after Pete switched everything over and gave me the master password, and I made 1-2 posts. Over a year later, I am back, and happy to be here. :thumbsup:

Rob L.

• 3 weeks later...

For sale threads being bumped every two hours...by individuals who've only registered to sell their junk and posted nowhere else, ever. TTT (To The Top) of what? the other post in the for sale forum since last bumped?

JT, you've shown amazing restraint by not posting in that thread.

lol.. I would but they would just get edited!!!! :yes: I understand the reasoning though, so its all good.. It just makes me :shake: and :roll: , then kick my dog, smack my wife, and cuss out the kids.... :rotfl2:

What I find annoying, is that of the 2,516 registered members, 931 of them have 0 posts.

Just waiting in the wings. :brows:

:rotf:

:dunno: I think some people join when they find us and just forget about us. Every once and awhile we get someone who has been sitting in the woodwork come forward and introduce themselves. Actually, up until I got back involved, I had joined just after Pete switched everything over and gave me the master password, and I made 1-2 posts. Over a year later, I am back, and happy to be here. :thumbsup:

Rob L.

I can see joining a online forum like this and all the rest could be kinda intimidating to someone timid or new to the web, and I'm sure some folks don't have the typing/grammer skills to really write in them. I can envision say a older Jeeper, not educated in reading and writing skills, but know everything about everything on a Comanche not coming forward just because of a lack of communication skills to do so... Thats sad, but a reality, even in society today. Or even a new guy that just hasent taken that leap into a introduction.. I can remember a feeling of anxiety when first posting a,, "Hey, I'm new" thread, or what have you, and in that respect I try to be as accommodating to someone new,,,well that is if the person is not trying to pawn off a $500 truck as rare and worth 3 grand.