Rusty's...

Seeing a few "Rusty's Off Road sucks" comments here and there. What's the verdict with these guys? They seem to have solid products, though I am not educated enough yet to know how competetive their prices are. Any service issues to speak of? Just trying to do a little homework. Thanks all!

Some have had decent luck with Rusty's suspension stuff but I have known more that have not. Issues I have seen have been both leaf springs and coils sagging and/or breaking and brackets breaking. Those that have had trouble also have reported VERY poor customer service in getting the issues taken care of-either being refused warranty or just a total lack of communication.

I have two friends that this has happened to and for that reason I will not deal with Rusty's and I will never recommend that anyone else buy suspensions from them.

I am a big fan of Rubicon Express myself. We have two members on here that sell quality stuff as well... Motion Offroad and Hell Creek Suspensions :cheers:

I myself have used 2 of their lift kist on my XJ and MJ with no problems. I break the tie rod on the track bar and they replaced it quickly. I have had known of friends to use their kits on 3 different vehicle with no problems either.

HOLY CRUD... that dude needed a Cage, did they walk away from that?

He was OK. Yeah a cage would of helped, but who really expects to roll their Jeep while just driving down the road?

Few more pics. Trashed just about everything suspension wise due to 1 junk Rusty's part.

n3233720_38042258_1380.jpg

n3233720_38042259_1817.jpg

Here's a video of a cop car ramming the Jeep to get it off the road.

I am in no way defending Rusty's or ANY of his crappy products. I was a victim of his bad service and junk parts. I bought a 4.5" WJ lift that caused DW and bad vibes from the day it was put on. It turned out to be a bad track bar and wrong UCAs causing my vibes. It took forever to get the UCAs replaced and he never would replace the TB. I took the lift off and traded it to a guy for a 94 XJ. Live and learn I guess. That mistake cost me over $1000. The kit cost $1500 shipped. The guy wanted $500 for the XJ. I tried to sell the lift for $300 and nobody woul touch it.

Lead, I read the rant about that LJ snapping a TB and rolling over. I also asked why the front wheel broke the center out of it.

The wheel center and the lug nuts are still attached to the rotor. The TB shows a fresh clean break. If it was already cracked it would have a lot more rust on the breakage area. I still think the wheel failed first, shot the driver into the bank, snapping the TB, and rolling the Jeep.

Again, I hate Rusty's and will never ever buy anything with his name attached to it.

He was OK. Yeah a cage would of helped, but who really expects to roll their Jeep while just driving down the road?

Few more pics. Trashed just about everything suspension wise due to 1 junk Rusty's part.

n3233720_38042259_1817.jpg

I got that same lift on my TJ... I don't like the look of that Belly Skid Mounting Side part all folded in.... Yikes...

But use Currie stuff up front and nothing Rusty's on either of my Jeeps...

Lead, I read the rant about that LJ snapping a TB and rolling over. I also asked why the front wheel broke the center out of it.

The wheel center and the lug nuts are still attached to the rotor. The TB shows a fresh clean break. If it was already cracked it would have a lot more rust on the breakage area. I still think the wheel failed first, shot the driver into the bank, snapping the TB, and rolling the Jeep.

I'm not gonna argue, but I do see rust on the TRE showing it was cracked. I also have a hard time believing that a wheel would break like that without something causing the damage (aka a rollover). The driver said he lost control as something failed in the front suspension, causing him to hit the bank, and rollover. The broken rim was just a byproduct of the accident. I just can not see a wheel breaking like that just by driving down the road. Also seeing that the tierod was bent I have to think that something suspension wise failed as if your tire just fell off I can't see it bending the tierod like that.

I'm not gonna argue, but I do see rust on the TRE showing it was cracked. I also have a hard time believing that a wheel would break like that without something causing the damage (aka a rollover). The driver said he lost control as something failed in the front suspension, causing him to hit the bank, and rollover. The broken rim was just a byproduct of the accident. I just can not see a wheel breaking like that just by driving down the road. Also seeing that the tierod was bent I have to think that something suspension wise failed as if your tire just fell off I can't see it bending the tierod like that.

That sounded like arguing .... :brows:

Is that a arrow on the wheel pointing to the valve stem? Those could be dirt track wheels. Either Areo or Bassett's. If they are, they are designed to have weak hub centers for racing on dirt tracks. They supposed bend or break at the center before causing major damage to the front spindles or rear axles.

I do not want to argue either, but I have never seen a wheel break a center out like that from an accident. I have seen it a lot at dirt track races though using Areo or Bassett wheels. I was going to use a set of Bassett's on my Jeep until my uncle reminded me about the hub centers bending on a hard hit.

BTW, not only is the tierod bent but the axle is bent too! I guess the TB caused that too?

But, I am done with this one. It will never be known what happened to cause that wreck. Sorry Lead, I am not taking it out on you.

I could see the broken trackbar causing that... My TB TRE popped out of the bracket once at about 70 MPH and cause the worst deathwobble I've ever experienced. I'm surprised I didn't bend any control arms.

And I was at stock height... I could see it being much worse with a good lift.

I watched a guy break a Rusty's trackbar trying to get out of some muddy ruts, it broke in the treads like the one above. I have Rusty's front coils and adjustable control arms, on the truck when I bought it. The coils are stiff and rough riding, the control arms rattle like crazy, they'll be swapped out soon.