Runnin Rusty's airtube

So those guys that are running their intake tube and filter, have you noticed any improvement in power or mileage? it seems like it would jsut pull hot air from the compartment which would hurt the performance. I'm debating getting one. would i be better off just getting a K&N for the stock airbox?

Thanks guys

Allen

i run an Airaid filter on a intake tube similar to rusty's...i like it it improved mileage a tad..maybe 1mpg....i had a K&N and will never run them again...they filter like crap! don't waste your money

Agree - to a point. :D The K&N intake system itself is fine w. the heat shield and the solid composit intake tube. I don't like a metal air tube, gets too hot. But it's the cone filter they supply with the kit that sucks. I swapped it out with an inverted cone S&B filter about 3" longer. It adds about twice the filtering area and it's longer length puts it right out there up front at the air hole that the stock airbox filter uses. The filtering media is also finer.

universal-filters.jpg

:agree: I still need to do this. Another thing is if you take out the stock airbox like I did, you are more likly to suck in water splashed up from a mud puddle, happened to me a few times, so keep that in mine to, but on dry spots I suck in the cold air as well :thumbsup:

I've done that. I originally used a Rusty's air tube on my XJ, but I had to change things around in the engine compartment to fit a York compressor. I installed a diesel XJ battery tray to move the battery to the other side and when I did the air tube/filter had no room. So I measured out the diameter of the stock rubber tube, went to the local parts store and got a muffler adapter sleeve the same size, cut it down to about 3 inches, used a shorty Powermax filter (also an inverted cone) and lived happily ever after. Had I done that before, the $2 for the muffler adapter would have saved a few bucks over the Rusty's tube.

I've done that. I originally used a Rusty's air tube on my XJ, but I had to change things around in the engine compartment to fit a York compressor. I installed a diesel XJ battery tray to move the battery to the other side and when I did the air tube/filter had no room. So I measured out the diameter of the stock rubber tube, went to the local parts store and got a muffler adapter sleeve the same size, cut it down to about 3 inches, used a shorty Powermax filter (also an inverted cone) and lived happily ever after. Had I done that before, the $2 for the muffler adapter would have saved a few bucks over the Rusty's tube.

That sounds like what i might do. did you notice any improvement in noise, power, or mpg's?

Ive done something sort of like ibby. I took a universal intake tube from Autozone (10 bucks) and a power max cone filter (like 20 bucks) took the universal exaust hanger and cut it down and flipped it and just put the hose clamp for the filter on the end of it to hold it there. Works great and was pretty cheap. Much better throttle response allitle better mileage like 1 mpg and a much deeper exaust note.